DJI datalink question

FRS

Reaction score
I purchased a Phantom 2 and also ordered the DJI datalink and requested that they install this for me. My question is does this replace a GPS tracker completely? Or is having a sole tracking device a better option for finding it in case of a fly away? Also anyone with this product is it better to use a PC over an Ipad, and just how accurate is the GPS when you are flying it from coordinates? Thanks for your input.

To answer your questions - I wouldn't attempt to use it as a GPS tracker, it might be close if it goes down within your waypoints but I wouldn't trust it as per fly-a-way. Get yourself one of the new Tiles or something similar for peace of mind. Ipad vs PC, personally I like the Ipad, easy to program, not as many steps and it's lightweight in the field. When flying way points - it's pretty accurate. I've only encountered one incident where it didn't go exactly where I sent it but "it was close".

Overall it's a very cool option to be able to send it on a route and watch it on the screen as it goes through the motions. First couple of times it's a little nerve racking when it's beyond LOS and you start wondering - is it going to make that turn for home... I've sent mine on a 10 point - 1/2 mile route over my neighborhood. Neighbors think it's a blast - they wave, kids follow it... +1 for interaction with neighbors, luckily have decent neighbors who aren't paranoid about privacy concerns, but I also keep it up aways and moving at roughly 10mph so it's not loitering over someones property other than my on.

My phantom 2 hasn't been shipped yet so I apologize for this noob question. Can I still control my gopro angles from the ground? Or can it only be in the DJI Datalink mode and cannot use the remote? Sorry for all these dumb questions lol..

In addition to setting waypoints can you set the orientation of the camera? Can you go in a circle around an object with the camera always orienting towards the object in the center?

I like taking videos of water towers in different towns and would love to be able to automate the process.

Not dumb questions at all... yes you can still control GoPro from the ground re: tilt - yeah not a problem. When it gets way out that all depends on your transmitters range. I have a Futaba and it's been good out as far as I've dared to go - just shy of a mile. Re: using GS and controller - if it's doing a route and you decide to change your mind - you have a couple of options. A) switch to atti mode then back to GPS and you'll have full control with your controller or B)you can switch to atti the back to GPS then set different way points. It'll sit there and hover while you pick your next route.

Re: circling around a target pointing camera - no that's not an option on the datalink - on the more pricey wookong you can do that.

Just to be clear, while you can use your controller to adjust the camera angle while on a groundstation mission like EMC describes, the groundstation itself can't be used/programmed to control that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20