DJI Customer Service - Video stops recording after FPV cuts

Reaction score
The following is an exchange I had with Customer Service in an effort to find out how/why/solution - to the FC40 or GoPro video stopping as the Quad got of wifi/fpv range. Since the FC40 camera and their app are both DJI technology I figured I'd start there.

The following was dismissive and frustrating, but also sharing to see if anyone else has solved this problem.

Me to Them:
Subject: fpv and video issues
Message: when I lose fpv with either the fc40 or a gopro my video recording stops. Any solutions for this?

Dear Doug,
Please elaborate further as i do not understand the quiestion.
DJI Technology Customer Service

Me to Them:
if you start recording on the FC40 camera and are using the iphone app to view FPV - then, when it loses viewing on the iphone, the camera stops recording.
Same occurs when using a GoPro - if you start recording, and then lose the FPV view on the iphone/ipad - it stops recording.
Call me if you need further explanation, +1.717.
There are a LOT of us having the same issue.

Dear Doug.
Seems like the culprit might be the phone. Seeing as the GoPro (a non DJI product) app is also failing. Thank you for your email.

Me to Them:
SO how does my PHONE stop the FC40 from recording?
By the way - it ALWAYS does it if you start the recording from the DJI iPhone app.
It ALMOST always does it anyways - even if you start the recording from the fc40 camera.
Let's solve this :)

Thank you for contacting DJI.
If you feel you have a defective unit send it in for repair.
In order to be issued an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) number, we encourage you to call our support staff via phone to discuss your options. Be aware that if the unit is diagnosed in perfect working order, you will be charged for the technicians time.
You may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.
Please note we have changed our phone service to include authorized dealers. If you wish to contact DJI directly please press option 5 after you choose "Repair" or "Technical support."
Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

Me to Them:
Whoa! This is not an rma issue. It happens to all of us....this is bigger issue. I'd like to work with one of your engineers to diagnose and fix this for a whole community of folks on the fc40 Facebook site as well as phantom pilots forum.
Do not dismiss me again please. Happy to help work towards a fix.
Thanks!

Unfortunately that cannot happen. For an RMA# you may contact us Monday-Friday, 9:00am-5:00pm PST at 818-235-0789.
Please note we have changed our phone service to include authorized dealers. If you wish to contact DJI directly please press option 5 after you choose "Repair" or "Technical support."
Thank you for choosing DJI,
"The Future of Possible!”

Re: DJI Customer Service - Video stops recording after FPV c

So wait, is the FC40 supposed to keep recording after losing signal with your phone or are you just trying to find a fix to the problem? Mine always stops the video when I get out of range, and so did my old FC40. Haven't found a fix though, so if I want to do something long range, I have to hit the record button on the camera itself and do it manually without fpv.

kitari said:
So wait, is the FC40 supposed to keep recording after losing signal with your phone or are you just trying to find a fix to the problem? Mine always stops the video when I get out of range, and so did my old FC40. Haven't found a fix though, so if I want to do something long range, I have to hit the record button on the camera itself and do it manually without fpv.

That is the issue. But FPV and Recording are two completely different things. Even if you hit record on the camera - sometimes it will still stop if you also connect FPV. So the only way to ensure a complete recording is to NOT use FPV. Can't be the only solution.

I don't know much about the FC40, or what app you are using on your iPhone, BUT on the vision app that I use with my P2V+ there is a setting for what to do when the connection breaks. Options include "stop recording". Just thought I would mention it. Doesn't address your gopro issue at all.

lol, I dont know anything about your problem but that customer service rep is just a clueless idiot, maybe try to talk to another rep who can hopefully check with engineering and provide a more proper response to this. In the company i work for the customer service guys don't know too much but they check with engineering on issues they're not sure of.

PaCharger said:
kitari said:

That is the issue. But FPV and Recording are two completely different things. Even if you hit record on the camera - sometimes it will still stop if you also connect FPV. So the only way to ensure a complete recording is to NOT use FPV. Can't be the only solution.

Maybe if we complain to the people at dji long enough, they'll add a feature like BlackTracer was talking about. :lol: As far as I know there's no fix for it yet. Best thing available at the moment is the camera antennae upgrade to get longer range, but once again if you get out of that range you have the same issue again. Also this is all in reference to the FC40 camera so maybe there's still hope for gopro users.

Agree on him being a total asshat, i mean idiot :)

The iphone app for the FC40 is similar to the other DJI apps - it was just created to work specifically with the FC40 camera. No such "do this,when that" menu unfortunately!

I have a full tx/rx setup enroute - just thought I would solve this silly annoyance since it had literally just happened again after 9 minutes of flying around with the new gimbal. Slapped the sd card in the laptop to get a solid 29 second video of me taking off - sigh.

Oh well - feel free to hit them up on their website. I have heard from a LOT of folks that they have the exact same issue. It is solvable.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20