DJI China misappropriated DJI North America's biz in total

Re: DJI China misappropriated DJI North America's biz in tot

Pull_Up said:
When is the next hearing? Presumably DJI global get to put their side of the story at some point... It will be interesting to see what counter-claims, it any, they put in.
End of August, I believe.

Sort of still cracks me up with this stuff ... Essentially China has covered the US and other countries in little flying hi-tech drones with cameras and seems all anyone is worried about is money ???? ... I love this stuff. :twisted:

GMANNZ said:
Sort of still cracks me up with this stuff ... Essentially China has covered the US and other countries in little flying hi-tech drones with cameras and seems all anyone is worried about is money ???? ... I love this stuff. :twisted:

That's hilarious!

Do you think they occasionally "phone home" and report on what they've seen?

Big Brother is a Chinese conglomerate? :lol:

GMANNZ said:

Are you implying that when they see the need to make use of one of their crafts, they'll just take control of it... resulting.. in... flyaways? :eek:

GMANNZ said:

Don't worry, tin foil hats not only ward off alien abductions, they're good at scrambling the transmissions of the drones reporting back to their mothership ;)

Pull_Up said:
When is the next hearing? Presumably DJI global get to put their side of the story at some point... It will be interesting to see what counter-claims, it any, they put in.

Hehe, I was talking to my attorney about this today in casual conversation and we both agreed that DJI Global is going to have a really hard time spinning this one. I can't even imagine trying to defend this. They've lost purely on the matter of contract law, I would imagine. Unless, of course, there was a breach of said contract that resulted in the forfeiture of his 48% ownership.

Even then, I'd be curious to know how legal it is to funnel all the money from one company to another overnight. Nothing nefarious looking about that! :shock:

LeoS said:
Waterborne said:
iDrone said:
DJI North America Obtains Injunction Against Hong Kong Dajiang Innovation Technology Co., Ltd. a/k/a DJI Innovations

"After North American sales sky-rocketed, DJI China embarked on a course of conduct designed to “misappropriate DJI North America’s business in total,” the Judge determined."

http://www.fortmilltimes.com/2014/01/28/3248657/dji-north-america-obtains-injunction.html

Not pretty.
iDrone :!:

Ugly. I will not return as a DJI China customer.

So you're not buying anything with a 'DJI' brand at all anymore? =P

This is a tricky situation. I'm sure neither party is completely blameless in this debacle....

DJI's integrity is now zero and in my book DJI is done. I will not buy new DJI products. Chalk it up to my upbringing and time in the military. The next 8-14 months will be ripe for new companies entering the fold (e.g., Yuneec's Flying Eyes HX3) as well as established firms producing equivalents to the PV (?xaircraft?) and I will travel that road. Without integrity, DJI is nothing. They traded their integrity and dignity and that for me is a big FAIL.

This posted on the DJI web site Tuesday

January 28, 2014
We would like to clarify that a recent temporary injunction limiting DJI’s ability to work with selected dealers in North America does not prevent these dealers from providing sales and support of DJI products to any of their customers, nor does it prevent dealers not identified in the temporary injunction from conducting normal business operations.

This legal action was taken by a former associate for issues linked to his recent departure from DJI. We are confident that the matter will be resolved soon.

DJI is a global firm and we are continuing to provide creators and innovators with first-class products and customer service support that has been the core of our business since our firm was established in 2006.

We are incredibly grateful for the support that we have received from our customers and will continue helping our customers in North America and beyond push forward the future of possible.

For further information please contact:

General Info: [email protected]
U.S. Product Support: [email protected]
Sales: [email protected]
Media Enquiries: [email protected]

It sure made me sit up and rethink my purchase of a PV2. I was at the point of making a purchase when this hit. Add to that all the issues I keep reading on camera quality, control, etc, there is no way I want to risk 1.2k+ only to end up with a marginal product with a limited lifespan. Just seems prudent to wait a few months and see who's product comes out on top.

Just one persons thinking.

I totally respect your decision - it's not pocket change, after all. The only thing I'd say is that the product isn't "marginal" if it meets your expectations. Do your research and see exactly what you're going to get - if it meets your personal needs then then you'll be very happy with the Vision as a package.

The other thing is... (how can I put this gently?) ... DJI sells its products world-wide. The injunction being discussed in this thread covers 30 or so dealers in one country (ok, 2 if you include the Canadian dealers mentioned). There is plenty of DJI kit both everywhere else in the world, and amongst the many other dealers in the US not covered by the injunction (and the several new ones that are about to appear - perhaps with somewhat similar names to some of the 30, but legally distinct ;)). So I don't think you have to worry about the lifespan of DJI product. The US market is important, yes, but it's not that important! :D And it's certainly not covered off by only 30 dealers.

However, if you have a preference for dealing only with one of the 30 subject to the injunction then you should definitely wait to see what shakes out. Having said that the dealers affected are completely allowed to sell you DJI product, just not order any more: which is pretty **** hard on them, actually, considering they have nothing to do with the shenanigans between Guinn and Tao Wang...

Pull_Up said:
I totally respect your decision - it's not pocket change, after all. The only thing I'd say is that the product isn't "marginal" if it meets your expectations. Do your research and see exactly what you're going to get - if it meets your personal needs then then you'll be very happy with the Vision as a package.

The other thing is... (how can I put this gently?) ... DJI sells its products world-wide. The injunction being discussed in this thread covers 30 or so dealers in one country (ok, 2 if you include the Canadian dealers mentioned). There is plenty of DJI kit both everywhere else in the world, and amongst the many other dealers in the US not covered by the injunction (and the several new ones that are about to appear - perhaps with somewhat similar names to some of the 30, but legally distinct ;)). So I don't think you have to worry about the lifespan of DJI product. The US market is important, yes, but it's not that important! :D And it's certainly not covered off by only 30 dealers.

However, if you have a preference for dealing only with one of the 30 subject to the injunction then you should definitely wait to see what shakes out. Having said that the dealers affected are completely allowed to sell you DJI product, just not order any more: which is pretty **** hard on them, actually, considering they have nothing to do with the shenanigans between Guinn and Tao Wang...

This has probably been asked and answered, but is there a list of the 30 vendors available?

Thanks...
-slinger

@gunslinger: last page of the court document...

FXo4bY2.png

LeoS said:
@gunslinger: last page of the court document...

Awesome...

Thanks, Leo...

-slinger

No problemo..

I wonder how can they enforce that rule?
That everyone on the list has to send in their current inventory list... then what? How would they monitor subsequent sales\purchases of DJI products?

Sounds like legalese with no practical way to enforce it..

Dang, Amazon is on that list too...

That must be some powerful Judge/Court down there in Austin, TX that can have jurisdiction over a Chinese company dealing with companies operating in Canada!

It's no different than the US prosecuting and ultimately convicting a US citizen who was living and operating an online gambling site out of central america, or for prosecuting Walmart for allegedly paying bribes in Mexico. For that matter no different than the FAA going after drone operators for using drones for commercial use when they haven't written the regulations yet.

Pull_Up said:
(ok, 2 if you include the Canadian dealers mentioned)

Wadya mean if :p

I had already decided to never buy another DJI product, but this just cements it.

But hey, I think it would be awesome to see the NA DJI guys come up with their own quad!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1