Dji CES presentation

Reaction score
Think they are presenting this evening USA time. Anyone know what time and if there is a internet feed?

no didn't attend but of the handful of DJI forums I've visited, the only news anyone has reported was the S1000. Not to mention that every single video on youtube about today is only about the phantom 2 or the vision. Not about anything great.

...and nothing on their website...if something new was presented they would be showing it off on website first no?

007's own Q

I just hope the new PR guy is not the one we saw on the video....if that is the case that's bad news!

ppdrone said:
007's own Q

I just hope the new PR guy is not the one we saw on the video....if that is the case that's bad news!

in the one video I saw,. the guy definitely wasn't a very slick talker,.
but at the same time, I think most of us could perhaps relate better to him

Gizmo3000 said:
ppdrone said:
007's own Q

I see what you mean....BUT if he really is a PR guy he needs to:
1. be a good talker (I am not saying sales person)
2. know what he is talking about
3. show passion about the product

Yes he is new, but I didn't seen any of the 3 yet....

ppdrone said:
Gizmo3000 said:
ppdrone said:
007's own Q

I see what you mean....BUT if he really is a PR guy he needs to:
1. be a good talker (I am not saying sales person)
2. know what he is talking about
3. show passion about the product

Yes he is new, but I didn't seen any of the 3 yet....

4. Know the name of the company your representing lol

As mentioned on another thread, he'll be on suicide watch by day 30

I'm willing to bet that the majority of vision/p2 buyers bought because they either had a phantom before or saw it online somewhere. I really don't think that many people bought it because Colin said to buy it. If you did, you are a fool . If you watch most of the DJI videos (including the instructional videos) its normally words on the screen and video of the phantom in flight. The product doesn't need a spokes person. In fact, I would rather see an Asian man speaking whatever language he speaks and have subtitles than see some model. Give me someone who knows the product. Colin had a really good understanding of the product but he didn't know the in depth important things that a quad nerd who is taking apart the phantom and rebuilding it is going to want to know.

I would rather see the money spent on R&D than on someones over inflated salary. I'm sure you have all seen the video of DJI's Texas office. I'm not sure why they needed a ping pong table and movie theater (for viewing product release videos). When was the last time you went to the office and said "you know what, I'd rather go watch Free Willy than work today". That doesn't happen. They are paid to work, focus on work. Customer service should be attending to the phones and emails. Techs should be working on repairs and improvements. There shouldn't be time to play. Thats what you do at home after work. I think if more work was being done, we might have seen something great from today's CES. Its an easy mistake for young booming companies to make. When the boom is booming, you work harder to grow bigger. Business 201.

Ksc said:
I'm willing to bet that the majority of vision/p2 buyers bought because they either had a phantom before or saw it online somewhere. I really don't think that many people bought it because Colin said to buy it. If you did, you are a fool . If you watch most of the DJI videos (including the instructional videos) its normally words on the screen and video of the phantom in flight. The product doesn't need a spokes person. In fact, I would rather see an Asian man speaking whatever language he speaks and have subtitles than see some model. Give me someone who knows the product. Colin had a really good understanding of the product but he didn't know the in depth important things that a quad nerd who is taking apart the phantom and rebuilding it is going to want to know.

I would rather see the money spent on R&D than on someones over inflated salary. I'm sure you have all seen the video of DJI's Texas office. I'm not sure why they needed a ping pong table and movie theater (for viewing product release videos). When was the last time you went to the office and said "you know what, I'd rather go watch Free Willy than work today". That doesn't happen. They are paid to work, focus on work. Customer service should be attending to the phones and emails. Techs should be working on repairs and improvements. There shouldn't be time to play. Thats what you do at home after work. I think if more work was being done, we might have seen something great from today's CES. Its an easy mistake for young booming companies to make. When the boom is booming, you work harder to grow bigger. Business 201.

You can work hard and play hard, and have a business that's also an environment your employees are happy to be at every day. The place I work has all manner of weird and wacky things in the office (including an impromptu visit from DJI with a pre-release P2V once) and it doesn't stop people from working hard and exceeding goals.

Gizmo3000 said:

Only if he's irrationally obsessed with the product, resulting in his immense knowledge about it.
It doesn't seem that way, unfortunately for us.

Ksc said:

I think you've taken him for granted.

Imagine if DJI has always used an asian talking head with english subtitle for their videos. New users will get an impression that this is an overseas company trying to export their goods with virtually no support in US (while this is kinda spot on really), and be very wary of purchasing the Phantom. Without the number of phantoms being sold, they wouldn't evolve and progress at the same pace as we're seeing now (albeit it comes with growing pains, like shitty cust service and alpha-level software with early releases).

Colin has given DJI's western face a shine, not only by being a 'sellable' DJI rep but also by bringing fairly high production value to their videos and ads. I've read that he's been in aerial photo for awhile and that's how he got in touch with DJI in the first place, through their pro-level stuff so it wouldn't be a stretch to make that assumption.

Heck, I'm no colin fanboy, I just analyse variables and how they contribute\affect the larger picture.

Phantasmic said:
Ping pong, Foosball, outdoor sand volleyball courts, full-featured gyms, theaters, etc. are all part of the mix.

Don't forget the brand new pump track.

Phantasmic said:
Ksc said:
I'm sure you have all seen the video of DJI's Texas office. I'm not sure why they needed a ping pong table and movie theater (for viewing product release videos).

In the real world, especially in the tech world, employee satisfaction, retention and recruitment are very important to the bottom line.

Based upon the opinions that you posted, you would have a conniption fit if you visited the campuses of Yahoo!, Google, Apple, Genentech, Ebay, etc.

Ping pong, Foosball, outdoor sand volleyball courts, full-featured gyms, theaters, etc. are all part of the mix.

Assuming that folks aren't working hard because of some amenities that you saw in a video doesn't make sense.

I've been to the google campus. Spent 10 days there. The difference is that employees there do not work normal 9 to 5 hours. Its extremely common to see people working from 9am to 9pm and taking time off during the day to play. When you are working 9 to 5, you don't have much time for ping pong. And yes I've spoke with Kerstin in customer service at DJI Texas quite often and know they work 9 to 5.

There are so many multirotor forums out there. I don't know why this is one that always gets mired in personal drama.

Ksc said:

It wasn't the ping pong table comment that got me... it was the comment that they were upgrading their studios to include an Alexa... I work on a network TV show shot on the Alexa - we actually need an Alexa. They don't need an Alexa to shoot Internet instructional videos. They may think it sounds cool to say they are getting one but it's like a teenager saying he needs a Viper as his first car. We all did a collective "why" when we heard that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl