Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

DJI Care or not

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by ElGuapo, Jul 19, 2016.

1. ElGuapo

Newbie here waiting for FedEx to deliver my P3A on Wednesday. Along with the bird I purchased DJI care, but after reading the terms and conditions of the coverage I am not sure it was a good move to purchase the coverage.

One of the items not covered are the propellers. Basically I bought coverage for the camera / gimbal.

2. msinger

Approved Vendor

Propellers are super cheap. You will not need to replace them often if you do not crash and you store them safely.

3. ElGuapo

If I crash hard and cause damage to the body of the bird it is not considered a covered item (cosmetic damage). Items that do not prevent the safely flying and handling of the bird are not covered. Motors are covered, not sure how much they are...

4. msinger

Approved Vendor

You can find a list of P3A replacement parts here.

DCDrone likes this.
  5. tcope

If you need the service, props are not a worry. The Phantom comes with an entire extra set anyway. I think 2 props run about $8.00 or so. A camera and gimbal might run $600.

6. msinger

Approved Vendor

You could nearly buy two for $600 :)

7. tcope

$430 plus $100 (?) labor? $530

upload_2016-7-19_9-33-10.png

8. ElGuapo

That is what I am saying guys, the more I look into this the more I think that I bought something that I am not going to get my money's worth. I can still contact DJI and have them remove it and get a refund. For the P3A the cost is $199, for the P3P the cost is $279.
    Not to mention they do not cover if I cause a complete damage to the bird.

9. msinger

Approved Vendor

The OP has a P3A. Why pay for labor? The entire unit can be easily swapped out.

10. RDZDroneFlier

I bought a P3S at Wal-Mart $499. They tried to sell me a service plan with Asurion. (Same insurance as my cell plan) I called to verify what was covered. They stated that it covered accidental damage and water damage as well. I paid $44 for the plan in hopes of not having to use it. Being a new item at Wal-Mart they may stop covering this item if it becomes a problem with returns or to may accidental crashes. I bought the plan few days after I purchased the P3

captainmilehigh likes this.
  11. ElGuapo

I know this is a personal decision, but the more I read about it in this forum the more I want to contact DJI and have them cancel my DJI care. The bird has not even been delivered, not until tomorrow.

Thanks RDZDroneFlier for the tip I am going to get in touch with Asurion.

12. captainmilehigh

I looked through the Asurion site but found no mention of costs or duration of this coverage. @RDZDroneFlier, can you fill us in on the details of your plan? Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

13. RDZDroneFlier

I purchased the plan through Wal-Mart
    Walmart Product Care Plans - Protection Plans
    1-877-968-6391 (This number is to Wal-Mart product care plan. When I spoke with the representative she sated to be from Asurion and gave me the details of the plan. Decided to purchase plan 3 days later. I'm not sure if they offer it if the product was not bought through Wal-Mart but it would be good to find out.
    Wal-Mart started selling the P3's (Standard,Pro, Advanced) about a month ago. They also had Parrot and couple others in stock. Found in the electronic section with PC's

I bought service plan on line I had a few issues because they told me via the phone to select Toy option to be able to register the device. There were no other options that would fit the device description for Drone.

14. ElGuapo

It is worth a phone call..

15. captainmilehigh

Thanks for the info. I already have a Neary Aerial plan on my Phantom now, but it may be a viable option in the future. I wonder if any Phantom owners have had to use it yet, and the outcome of the coverage. Not too many policies out there that cover crashes and damage by the pilot. That's why I went with the Neary Service plan over DJI Care. Hope it works out for you RDZ.

16. ElGuapo

For everyone in this forum, this is from DJI's website.

1) You can request to cancel DJI Care if you return the product under DJI's Return Policy. You should provide a copy of the original receipt, proof of successful return and the S/N of the returned aircraft and gimbal by email to djicare@dji.com.

NOTE: If you do not return the aircraft, DJI Care cannot be canceled.

There it goes my idea of canceling DJI care, unless of course I decide to return the aircraft in the unopened box and get one from Walmart.

17. captainmilehigh

Wow. To cancel DJI care you have to return the bird? Wow again.

18. ElGuapo

Yes Sir,

So I need to make a decision, the package is on its way, I either keep it and go on with my life knowing that I am paying for $200 to only cover the gimbal in case I crash. Or I return the complete order to DJI, so that I can cancel the DJI Care, and order from Walmart and get the coverage that includes water damage coverage.

19. captainmilehigh

If the Asurion coverage is legit and will cover the entire bird I'd lean toward that. But I'd have to do a hell of a lot of research on them before I jumped at that deal. But that's just me. They are kinda new at insuring the Phantom.

20. RDZDroneFlier

Yes I would agree. I would try to find out if anyone has ever made a claim with any other Wal-Mart merchandise through Asurion