DJI at CES - Allegedly new product to be unveiled

Reaction score
I don't know if this is otherwise known news, but when I went to the DJI New Pilot Training at Intelligent UAS (Maryland) on Saturday, they let slip that DJI will have the Inspire on-hand at CES next month, and also intends to show off a "new product".

While I'm not much for speculation threads, I am definitely curious if this could be a new consumer-grade Phantom (doubtful?), something for hand-held use, similar to the Ronin, or just some sort of accessory. Has anyone else gotten wind of this?

Not I, but it is bound to happen as I literally just placed an order for a new Phantom 2, V 2.0 with gimbal!

I reasoned that if they would released any new Phantom, it would be in time for Christmas. But, the release could have taken longer than they expected. Oh well, if it is a new phantom (I really want the Inspire 1, but can't justify it.) then perhaps I won't fly it and then I can then return it. That will be hard having a new toy that I will have to keep hands of, on! I'll probably break down!

I hate the suspense!!! Come on DJI, just tell me and I'll keep the secret! I want to sell your products, you can trust me. Especially if I can get an Inspire 1 to evaluate and display to get more orders. P L E A S E!!

dirkclod said:
PhantomFanatic said:
Not I, but it is bound to happen as I literally just placed an order for a new Phantom 2, V 2.0 with gimbal!

I reasoned that they would release any new Phantom, in time for Christmas. But, the release could have taken longer than expected. Oh well, if it is a new phantom (I really want the Inspire 1, but can't justify it.) then perhaps I won't fly this and I can then return it.

I hate the suspense!!!
Welcome to the world of DJI ;)

Thanks my friend! Suspense is bad for the health. Don't they know that? People may die, trying to figure out how long to wait before jumping in?? VERY dangerous! Right dirkclod?

DJI, do the right thing and save lives and allow me to become a dealer!

Morgon said:
While I'm not much for speculation threads, I am definitely curious if this could be a new consumer-grade Phantom (doubtful?), something for hand-held use, similar to the Ronin, or just some sort of accessory. Has anyone else gotten wind of this?

Well since the Inspire One has already hit the market --- my guess is that it will be the "Phantom 3" ??

I don't see anything that will make the Phantom 3 all that compelling to upgrade for current Phantom owners. The most obvious idea is a 4K camera. Perhaps a slightly larger battery to give true 25 min. flight times? I still believe "follow me" and "POI circling" are gimmicky and don't hold much appeal.

The one cool idea which I would love but I know DJI won't do --- a touch pad on the controller that allows you to wear your choice of wireless FPV goggles and still tap choices in the Vision app. Actually, a really small "pointer stick" would probably work better (like older laptops used to have).

Even if the P3 has a 4K camera --- I can't see DJI being able to charge more than $1,400 when it hits the market --- anything higher than that and most people will end up buying the Inspire One instead.

Arguably, the TV/MP business is in SoCal. Why wouldn't they announce something at next weeks Drone Show?

Launching a new Phantom hot on the heels of a mid-product refresh and the Inspire launch would be really bad product strategy. Not that DJI has made much sense with their product launches so far but this would take the cake.

True. i'm going to see many things, including Cannon's 5DMrkIV...I'll report back ASAP Captain

MadMitch88 said:
I still believe "follow me" and "POI circling" are gimmicky and don't hold much appeal.
Not sure I agree with that. Threads on ways to emulate POI have popped up multiple times on this forum; I'm quite sure it would be welcome addition.

Someone raised an interesting scenario at the Pilot Training (about half of the 70-ish attendees were existing owners, kinda cool) that you can get 'follow me' with the new dynamic home point. I guess if you don't care about aiming the camera, it would work.

Either way, these are bullet points that other devices have, or are coming out with. It's always good business to lower the comparisons against competitors.

MadMitch88 said:
Even if the P3 has a 4K camera --- I can't see DJI being able to charge more than $1,400 when it hits the market --- anything higher than that and most people will end up buying the Inspire One instead.
I have the opposite thought - I think they would cannibalize their Inspire sales by introducing a 4K Phantom. I'm tempted by many things of the Inspire 1, but the Phantom is a more proven and stable product line (in comparison, since we literally have no real-world data on the Inspire) and would probably buy it instead if they tried to spec-match the Inspire with a 'Phantom 3'

ianwood said:
Launching a new Phantom hot on the heels of a mid-product refresh and the Inspire launch would be really bad product strategy. Not that DJI has made much sense with their product launches so far but this would take the cake.

Very much agreed that it doesn't make much sense, unless there's something compelling that puts it between P2V+ and Inspire 1.

Morgon said:
I have the opposite thought - I think they would cannibalize their Inspire sales by introducing a 4K Phantom. I'm tempted by many things of the Inspire 1, but the Phantom is a more proven and stable product line (in comparison, since we literally have no real-world data on the Inspire) and would probably buy it instead if they tried to spec-match the Inspire with a 'Phantom 3'.

Well I agree that a 4K camera on the Phantom 3 would likely draw away potential customers of the Inspire One --- but if they don't put a 4K camera on the P3 then they will lose customers to Walkera and 3DR since their quads will likely have 4K on the 2015 models. So it's a classic case of being "stuck between a rock and a hard place".

Personally, I dont see a good reason to buy the Inspire if the P3 comes equipped with 4K and priced around $1,400. Pay an extra $1,500 for Lightbridge and retracting landing gear? I don't see that as worth the big jump in price.

The only real game-changing idea I see for consumer drones right now is "fly-by-cell tower" --- this would solve a lot of problems associated with maintaining line of sight, and also give you a lot more range. It would also allow many Northern customers to enjoy flying their Phantom during cold winter days while staying inside the warmth of a house.

Rather than a new Phantom, I'm more inclined to think it will be an upgraded camera/gimbal system for the P2V+, available as an option on a new Vision ++, or retrofittable to the v3.0 Vision +. The Phantom itself was just upgraded, but it's still the same old photography system and, IMHO, the weak spot in their flagship consumer drone.

Anyway, that's my hope.

The Phantom isn't dead. The Inspire 1 probably doesn't appeal to most Phantom owners.

I can't see them releasing an entirely new craft so soon after the Inspire.

But if by some strange chance they do, I'll put money on it being a six-prop RTF Tali beater.

Inspire 1 or this supposedly another new product is not a safe purchase, if you ask me. It will be a completely new thing, revision 1 with all the flaws and glitches.

If you ask me, Phantom 2 V3 or Vision plus V3 is a much better, mature option and safer purchase.

I'm wondering if they're finally going to try to cash in on a gimbal for the Phantom 2 Vision... Although... They've all but abandoned the platform for all intents and purposes... :roll:

-slinger

msinger said:
The Phantom isn't dead. The Inspire 1 probably doesn't appeal to most Phantom owners.

I never said it was 'dead'' I said it was an old platform, which it is, in relationship to the Inspire. I doubt that they would make even more improvements to the PTV+ so soon after its release. But who knows, DJI is a strange company. I'm very happy with mine, but I can see the bitterness with owners who have the earlier models. Those who eventually get the initial shipments of the Inspire better have a thick skin and a lot of patience!

With the recent release of the Inspire they may be releasing the new flight controller as a separate item to provide similar Inspire functions for the "S" series of multirotors.

Regards

Nidge

I agree that it'll likely be a different type of product e.g. gimbal or FC. With the S900, Inspire and Phantom 2 v2, they've got the whole vertical market covered with fresh product. The only room is at the very top or very bottom.

Many, many Phantoms will be sitting under Christmas trees this year.

Aren't the GP3+ or GP4 4K enough for you? Isn't the switch to new ESC's, higher thrust motors, better lift and more stable props, a shielded compass, and new transmitter with better gimbal control and a training port enough to obviate the need for a Phantom 3. We are sort of already at a Phantom 3 level. Now, if they introduced a new solid state anti-grav drive with or without time travel built in, I would run to the store to grab one!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4