DJI are replacing shells with old shells

Reaction score
We all know dji are replacing shells under warranty which is great. However they don't seem to be replacing them with the latest shells design that are on there new crafts. A friend at our club sent his back last week for shell replacement and hats of to dji they turned it round and got it back to him today, he sent it of to the dji repair centre in the Netherlands from the UK last Tuesday so that's a great RMA turnaround time. How ever its come back with exactly the same design shell. I know there has been 4 shell designs so far but this has come back with exactly the same shell design as it was bought last june, its not got the extra tabs and its not got the bigger vents.
So it might seem dji are replacing shells with older shells in hope of just getting them through the warranty period maybe. My whole craft was replaced under warranty a month ago from a uk retailer who said it had the latest shell, no extra tabs but it does have much bigger vents. I know mine only might be the second or third shell design but you would have expected dji to replace his shell with the latest one but hey have not. Very disappointing.

Most people with the old shell do not have cracks. That seems reason enough for this to be a non-issue.

Reactions: gppms and JBG
I am still with the original design body and no cracks yet.

Knuckles are raw. From knocking on Brazilian. . .

RedHotPoker

Reactions: lotusteve
i see what your saying, but his was one of the first generation shells and it cracked. If the first shells were the best then why did they change them, and then again, and then again ect ect so on and so for.

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447368520.606235.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1447368547.400513.jpg

All I attach to my phantom 3 right before the first fly time ! hope nothing will pull off or crack!

maybe non of the shell designs will ever work properly with the old motors most of us have. Before anyone jumps in with my craft has flown 1000km and its fine blah blah, i know myself having 2 P3s to date and loads of kms on the clock with no cracks what so ever that i am maybe just lucky and like most having no problem. But we all know the truth is there are a lot out there having this problem with it being reported on forums and social media all over the world on a daily basis. The reason i started this thread was simply to point out that it would seem dji are replacing shells under warranty that are not the same as the shells that they are selling with there current new crafts. My latest craft still has the old motors but does have the latest shell.

They have lots of them in warehouse and they have to get rid od them. Simple economy.

I would do the same if i were DJI.

Update:

Receive mine form RMA 2 days ago from Germany with old shell. Also one of the screws, the plastic already show signals of future crack...

Made a complaint, today receive a OK for a second RMA pick up. Not bad.

Also, they "forget" to conect the logo of "Phantom Advanced" on the "new" shell.

The top of the shell was the original one.

I live on Europe.

I don't believe that sorry, I'm sure the price of shipping a p3 back to a costumer in another country would be far more than a plastic shell they have bought or have produced themselves. I know they will have a good shipping charge with who ever the use but it won't be cheaper than a bit of plastic I know that.

Sorry...was your post to me?

What don`t you believe? Im confuse since english is not my native language...

Update:

Receive mine form RMA 2 days ago from Germany with old shell. Also one of the screws, the plastic already show signals of future crack...

Made a complaint, today receive a OK for a second RMA pick up. Not bad.

Also, they "forget" to conect the logo of "Phantom Advanced" on the "new" shell.

The top of the shell was the original one.

I live on Europe.

Yea his top shell was the same, but he has complained to dji about having an old shell design back and that he feels it's just been done that way in hope to get it through its warranty period. He all so said it came back with loads of glue residue over it which took him an hour a so to clean of.

Sorry...was your post to me?

What don`t you believe? Im confuse since english is not my native language...

Sorry no that was not a reply to you. My last one was tho. Sorry for the confusion. Lol

Last edited:
Since this crack problem affects some folks and not others, it's conceivable this may not be a shell design issue at all, and simply a process issue when molding the plastic. Those in the plastic molding business know what I'm talking about. If you have the wrong process the plastic will be brittle. This can also be caused by using the wrong formula plastic. It's really unknown what truly is causing the problem, but just because you get an old design wouldn't alarm me, simply because there are hundreds with the old design, like me, with over a hundred miles on the craft, and no cracks.

They are cracking due to the way the motors sit on 4 pivots at the base which causes stress to the shell on them 4 points. They have solved the issue now with the new motors which sit completey flat so not to cause any stress. My friends was one of the first crafts and had done nearly 400k before it cracked.

Agree....but lets wait for the report of the new users with new engines...

Yea it think all will be good tho, the way they sit on the shell won't cause and stress problems. It's easy to see why the old ones crack when you look at how they both sit.

They are cracking due to the way the motors sit on 4 pivots at the base which causes stress to the shell on them 4 points. They have solved the issue now with the new motors which sit completely flat so not to cause any stress.
There's insufficient evidence to draw this conclusion.
It's only guesswork and could be completely wrong.
Given that so many with the origianl shell design have no cracks, it can be seen that the original shell is not the problem.
The most logical explanation for the cracking is moulding or plastic variation and not the shell design.

It was dji that stated it. unless they have changed there mind about it now. We will see if the crafts with newer motors start cracking. Bet they wont tho.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.