DJI Announcing A New Product April 8th

"However several people are anticipating that this could be a launch event for a Phantom 3 quadcopter, following on from the popular Phantom 2. However there also suggestions that there could be other products, such as new cameras for the DJI Inspire or even new hand held gimbals."

Or maybe an Inspire that works properly? (Inspire 2, as you say)

If there is a P3 it will be at the NAB a few days later?

It's always exciting for new products but I am perfectly content with my P2V+. Can't really afford to go buy the latest and greatest. I do hope they keep the Phantom family going. Most of all I hope there is a major update to the phantom app. Something big for those of us who won't be upgrading hardware. Something that makes us feel like we have a new Phantom. I always look forward to new IOS software just so my phone seems like something new. But I have my doubts. Mostly due to them releasing SDK. At least we have a date now.

How about a new camera for P2v+ or perhaps a better interface app than the one provided. It's pretty frustrating when these company's start following Apples business approach.
Maybe time for me to jump ship and try a new quad from a different vendor.

Reactions: RichWest
I usually get anxiety when the next generation of what I have [is or potentially] coming out, but I'm not really sweating about it as much... I think. Haha. I love my combo at the moment and I have invested a ton of money towards it that I probably would rather skip a generation and wait until next year.. as long as nobody rubs it in my face about it, I'm cool with it.

When the Inspire 1 came out I was really considering onto switching to it, but I got to see it in person for the first time at a drone meet on International Drone Day and I was like this is definitely not for me.

What would've lessen my anxiety is if I would use parts from the potential P3 to my P2 .. but that's just wishful thinking. :rolleyes:

How about a simple firmware update that isn't technologically 3-steps backward? I swear to God, if DJI releases another "update" that TAKES AWAY current capabilities. IE: makes it SLOWER, limits ascent/descent speed or limits range I will NEVER buy another DJI product again! [soapbox]

Owner of a Phantom 2 Vision AND a Phantom 2 Vision +...still waiting to see if the Inspire is going to be worth it or not before I spend more money...

Better batteries? Drone Experts style swap for P2V+ to use GoPro? Transmitter with 7" monitor built in for FPV? All those would be nice. Interested to see what is coming.

How about a simple firmware update that isn't technologically 3-steps backward? I swear to God, if DJI releases another "update" that TAKES AWAY current capabilities. IE: makes it SLOWER, limits ascent/descent speed or limits range I will NEVER buy another DJI product again! [soapbox]

Owner of a Phantom 2 Vision AND a Phantom 2 Vision +...still waiting to see if the Inspire is going to be worth it or not before I spend more money...

The Phantom is their low-tier RTF product further diminished by a proprietary power system. It is geared to consumers who have never before flown anything R/C. You should expect some 'governors' , if you will, on this level of equipment.

They've simply responded to the sometimes irresponsible and mostly inexperienced operation of their product to reduce warranty claims and liability from their use. Step-up and you can avoid such restrictions.

The 'closed source' nature if this type power system, not their safeguards, has made my decision to avoid this in the future be it DJI or anyone else.

Last edited:
The picture in the email looks like a phantom. Probably a 3 with better camera specs and hopefully the ability to use some features from the dji pilot app. Also a handheld gimbal for the inspire camera is rumored.

Last edited:
Apparently this was briefly visible on DJI website earlier today:

Looks like Phantom 3 alright.

does it look like a Phantom 2 with the Inspires ultra-sonic height control system, or am i missing something else

Best I can tell and from what they wrote it has the traditional Phantom layout with the ultra-sonic sensors for better location control indoors and when no GPS and a new controller with built in Lightbridge? or similar. Transmitter has dual antennas like the Inspire and it appears as if you can use dual transmitters like the Inspire with one for the pilot and the other for the camera (if you want). Thus their tease of "your point of view, or mine"?

Can't tell much about the camera, etc.

Best I can tell and from what they wrote it has the traditional Phantom layout with the ultra-sonic sensors for better location control indoors and when no GPS and a new controller with built in Lightbridge? or similar. Transmitter has dual antennas like the Inspire and it appears as if you can use dual transmitters like the Inspire with one for the pilot and the other for the camera (if you want). Thus their tease of "your point of view, or mine"?

Can't tell much about the camera, etc.
So far it sounds like an Inspire in a Phantom shell. If they add a 4k camera, it IS an Inspire in a Phantom shell. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective to release something that directly competes with one of your own products, especially at a cheaper price point. My guess is no 4k camera, which will put it around the $2k mark, right between the Inspire and the V+

So far it sounds like an Inspire in a Phantom shell. If they add a 4k camera, it IS an Inspire in a Phantom shell. It doesn't make sense from a business perspective to release something that directly competes with one of your own products, especially at a cheaper price point. My guess is no 4k camera, which will put it around the $2k mark, right between the Inspire and the V+

There's a couple of very convincing advert 'leaks' by vendors as well as DJI posted here which clearly show prices for both variants.
The P3 Professional is $1259 and the other, P3 Advanced, is $999.

One of them named the quad a 'P3 Saber" (UAV outlets I believe).

No guarantees here.

Then it must be a dumbed down version of lightbridge since it retails for $1400 alone. Hm. We'll see tomorrow.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik