DJI Altitude record

macheung said:
Regulations aside, the max above take off height is likely limited by battery power, especially with the slow 2m/s descend. Assuming you can go up at 5m/s and down at 2m/s, the highest you can go and not crash would likely be around 1250m up (4 min up, 10 min down). That's pretty aggressive since full throttle up for 4 min up will likely burn battery at 2x hover rate, so that flight pattern take as much battery as a normal 18 min flight. I suppose one can go higher to maybe 2500m if they let it drop on manual mode to descend nearly without battery and spend like 8 min straight up at full throttle.

I hate the 2m/s descent limit. VRS can be avoided if you give some horizontal input, and know what you are doing (which btw, I am not claiming to be an expert/experienced flier), so I wish there were a way to toggle it off.

Anyway, what do you mean by "let it drop on manual mode to descend nearly without battery?" What exactly would that allow you to do? How is that toggled? Even though I have never messed with manual mode, I thought it was something switched to in the Assistant Software and I admit I am not at all familiar with it.

eckoner said:
lol some people think when they take off they do so from -0 ft lol hahahaha (ever heard of sea level)

i saw the thread and thought i would post a funny and say something stupid like "dont go over 400ft" lol

a bunch of you beat me to it but you were not joking :) lol

wow just wow

plus 1 :roll:

Anyway, what do you mean by "let it drop on manual mode to descend nearly without battery?" What exactly would that allow you to do? How is that toggled? Even though I have never messed with manual mode, I thought it was something switched to in the Assistant Software and I admit I am not at all familiar with it.

Plus 1. I'm curious also and wonder what all the functions are of the S1 & S2 switches. I have flown mine up pretty high, but have no idea HOW high. All I know is the Phantom is itty bitty and I get nervous. After seeing Macheung's calculations, I now have a better idea of how to plan a high altitude run, if I should decided to "go for it". I'll definitely use a stop watch. :)

WingAndAPrayer said:

Plus 1. I'm curious also and wonder what all the functions are of the S1 & S2 switches. I have flown mine up pretty high, but have no idea HOW high. All I know is the Phantom is itty bitty and I get nervous. After seeing Macheung's calculations, I now have a better idea of how to plan a high altitude run, if I should decided to "go for it". I'll definitely use a stop watch. :)

Only one thing to say "RTFM"

Only one thing to say "RTFM"
because its important to read.gif

Hey guys anyone know what the highest altitude a phantom has been to so far? I flew mine around Mauna Kea in Hawaii last week (4,213m) and so far I can't find a record of anyone having flown higher. No problems flying at that altitude btw other than the pilot getting altitude sickness.

Hi Crasyhorse. Can you tell me more about the performance at 4,213m (13,822ft). Was it a P3 or P4? Was the Phantom very sluggish during flight? Were there any problems landing? What was the battery life?
I sure would appreciate more information. Sorry for all the responses off topic.
Joe
KC7GHT

Hi Crasyhorse. Can you tell me more about the performance at 4,213m (13,822ft). Was it a P3 or P4? Was the Phantom very sluggish during flight? Were there any problems landing? What was the battery life?
I sure would appreciate more information. Sorry for all the responses off topic.
Joe
KC7GHT
Given the date of posting by OP he could not have been flying a P3 or 4, they hadnt been released to the market yet.

RC craft are supposed to stay under 400' according to the FAA.

You are ignoring the fact the OP was talking about a MOUNTAIN. 400' is AGL as specified by the FAA guidelines. Above GROUND level. If the GROUND is 4,000' AMSL (Above Mean Sea Level) then you are still within suggested limits up to 4,400' which is 400' above the ground you fly over.

Not that I am aware of. 400' is a "recommended limit" as far as I know unless you are near an airport.

"While the FAA suggested in 1981 that model aircraft operators fly below 400 feet, the document was just an advisory, and two aviation lawyers contacted by Gigaom said the agency has no authority below 700 feet"
Link stating basically what you said: KEEP CALM: The FAA and sUAVs/Drone Rules (Final UPDATE) by Jeff Foster - ProVideo Coalition
They're safety guidelines, but not enforceable laws.

That said, I plan on sticking to the recommendations. The last thing I want is to be the cause of some incident that destroys our hobby.

I just watched a video of a guy go 12,600 feet high in Turkey where apparently it is legal with a Phantom 4. Awesome video. That is 2.6 miles high. Impressive. I hope he made it down without running out of battery.

In the uk under certain conditions and with a spotter we can go to 1000ft

Yes I got this yesterday on my p4, however I was using a p3 controller GL300A. I'm looking to push further once my MaxxUAV evo kit plus arrives.

U.K. Side pushing the Phantom 4. Peace

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31