DJI Altitude record

Reaction score
Hey guys anyone know what the highest altitude a phantom has been to so far? I flew mine around Mauna Kea in Hawaii last week (4,213m) and so far I can't find a record of anyone having flown higher. No problems flying at that altitude btw other than the pilot getting altitude sickness.

Sounds pretty high... though not quite fair since altitude tests really should be measured relative to the altitude of the takeoff point... not MSL.

World record?
There is a video on you tube showing a flight from ground to the top of the 2,400ft Dubai tower.
And there are several videos of flights in the USA of over 1,000 feet.

FYI cshaw, my AMA certified flying field has a clearance for 500 feet.

As for the 4,213 meter flight, I call horsehockey on that one.
Most likely you read the numbers wrong.
Do the math. 1 meter equals 3.1 feet.

Suwaneeguy said:
As for the 4,213 meter flight, I call horsehockey on that one.
Most likely you read the numbers wrong.
Do the math. 1 meter equals 3.1 feet.

Read the OP post... One assumes HE was at the top of Mauna Kea since he suffered AS. High altitude flying but not from the ground up !

cshaw said:
399 ft is the record
It would by illegal to go higher

And where did you gain this information?

Mori55 said:
RC craft are supposed to stay under 400' according to the FAA.

Not that I am aware of. 400' is a "recommended limit" as far as I know unless you are near an airport.

"While the FAA suggested in 1981 that model aircraft operators fly below 400 feet, the document was just an advisory, and two aviation lawyers contacted by Gigaom said the agency has no authority below 700 feet"

rrmccabe said:
Mori55 said:
RC craft are supposed to stay under 400' according to the FAA.

Not that I am aware of. 400' is a "recommended limit" as far as I know unless you are near an airport.

"While the FAA suggested in 1981 that model aircraft operators fly below 400 feet, the document was just an advisory, and two aviation lawyers contacted by Gigaom said the agency has no authority below 700 feet"

Except, of late, hasn't the FAA been trying to enforce their "recommendations" and "guidance"? ;)

RobertMfromLI said:
Except, of late, hasn't the FAA been trying to enforce their "recommendations" and "guidance"? ;)

Always have, always will :)

Doesn't mean it's law. But it still has the distinct possibility of costing you a pretty penny, one way or another, even if it's not.

400ft above ground level may be the recommended max height in USA and some other parts of the world, but it is by no means a universal rule (if it is a rule) for the entire world.

Regulations aside, the max above take off height is likely limited by battery power, especially with the slow 2m/s descend. Assuming you can go up at 5m/s and down at 2m/s, the highest you can go and not crash would likely be around 1250m up (4 min up, 10 min down). That's pretty aggressive since full throttle up for 4 min up will likely burn battery at 2x hover rate, so that flight pattern take as much battery as a normal 18 min flight. I suppose one can go higher to maybe 2500m if they let it drop on manual mode to descend nearly without battery and spend like 8 min straight up at full throttle.

macheung said:
400ft above ground level may be the recommended max height in USA and some other parts of the world, but it is by no means a universal rule (if it is a rule) for the entire world.

Regulations aside, the max above take off height is likely limited by battery power, especially with the slow 2m/s descend. Assuming you can go up at 5m/s and down at 2m/s, the highest you can go and not crash would likely be around 1250m up (4 min up, 10 min down). That's pretty aggressive since full throttle up for 4 min up will likely burn battery at 2x hover rate, so that flight pattern take as much battery as a normal 18 min flight. I suppose one can go higher to maybe 2500m if they let it drop on manual mode to descend nearly without battery and spend like 8 min straight up at full throttle.

That is very true. I am not in the US and I fly mainly out in the desert outside of Dubai so I could somehow be a little more flexible even though winds can pose few issues out here.
Thanks a lot for the insights into the calculations; really useful and worth considering for the ones that like to take the bird high up.

What we all have to understand is Class G airspace allows full size aircraft to fly down to 500' hence the 400' advisory/limitation (with a UAV Operator's Certificate in Australia you are limited to 400' irrespective).

ZAPPATA007 said:
cshaw said:
399 ft is the record
I fly mine at 300m (almost 1,000 ft) on a regular basis and I am a newbbie.

not something to brag about

lol some people think when they take off they do so from -0 ft lol hahahaha (ever heard of sea level)

i saw the thread and thought i would post a funny and say something stupid like "dont go over 400ft" lol

a bunch of you beat me to it but you were not joking :) lol

wow just wow

helishmeli said:
ZAPPATA007 said:
cshaw said:
399 ft is the record
I fly mine at 300m (almost 1,000 ft) on a regular basis and I am a newbbie.

not something to brag about

Why you say I am bragging ???!?!?!? It was a simple response to a question . If you don't like what I say, then I suggest you post more constructive and helpful hints and perspectives instead of being so negative.

crasyhorse44 said:
Hey guys anyone know what the highest altitude a phantom has been to so far? I flew mine around Mauna Kea in Hawaii last week (4,213m) and so far I can't find a record of anyone having flown higher. No problems flying at that altitude btw other than the pilot getting altitude sickness.

So where are the videos or pics from this altitude?

crasyhorse44 said:

Sorry I cant find a link at the moment...

I've seen a video of a Phantom flying at Everest's base camp...17,700 ft AMSL I believe.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20