DJI ADD HOMELOCK!

Reaction score
Just had another wonderful app crash with a somewhat low battery. Hitting RTH would have launched me too high and put me in danger of depleting the lipo. Hopefully someone over at DJI will get their act together and add this simple function back to the RC! Is isn't a fun feature like waypoints guys, it's a potential phantom saver and goes a long way making the experience safer. How is it that they continue to drop the ball on this??? Shame on DJI for not listening to their customers needs as I'm not the only one ranting about this. Give the option to toggle that switch to the far left or middle and the ability to set that as HOMELOCK. Don't promise......just DO IT!

Reactions: corvette man
Agreed. They know how to do it. It's been on prior Phantoms for awhile now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Never going to happen.
I miss it heaps. I used to get really nice shots by simply pulling her back and slowly yawing.

Reasons (I think) why they wont bring it back:
It was too confusing for users. Not many understood why you needed to >10m from home position for it to enable.
It was ambiguous - home lock vs home position.
Home lock was never intended to be used a "potential phantom saver". HL was the primitive version of POI, except you had to control the yaw to stay on subject.
HL will now be replaced by POI IOC.
DJI wants RTH as the only means of a "phantom saver". I believe some users lost their phantom 2s because they forgotten to enable HL IOC and simply pulled the stick down. This may have caused the phantom to fly further away.

I believe some users lost their phantom 2s because they forgotten to enable HL IOC and simply pulled the stick down. This may have caused the phantom to fly further away.

I would always test the HL function as part of a pre-flight and used it quite often.

Yes I miss it as well. I didn't use it all that much but sometimes it was super convenient. I wonder why it's harder in the P3? They must've had some problem with it.

For those of us that haven't owned previous model phantoms, could you please define home lock? It appears hidaven and Mako79 are talking about two different things.

Last edited:
I started with a P3.. but played with HL yesterday for while. I really didn't see a use in it myself.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

For those of us that haven't owned previous model phantoms, could you please define home lock? It appears hidaven and Mako79 are talking about two different things.
Every move you make with the right stick is relative to your Home Point, so for eg, pulling back on the stick will always bring the bird back home, regardless of which direction it is "facing".

Reactions: Mike Mauk and SENC
Did the P3 have HL at some point, or was it advertised it would? I thought i read it had it somewhere

Every move you make with the right stick is relative to your Home Point, so for eg, pulling back on the stick will always bring the bird back home, regardless of which direction it is "facing".
So basically the same as what is called headless flying in the lower end models?

Home point was great for flying out to a certain point and then flying straight home while having full yaw control independent of direction of motion. In this way it was a nice addition to course lock. RTH seems like surrender or panic mode to me, and requires an unnecessary increase in altitude ... great as a last resort,for sure, but not as a flying tool.

Home point was great for flying out to a certain point and then flying straight home while having full yaw control independent of direction of motion. In this way it was a nice addition to course lock. RTH seems like surrender or panic mode to me, and requires an unnecessary increase in altitude ... great as a last resort,for sure, but not as a flying tool.
I think what your referring to is home lock John, home point is where your phantom will return to if RTH is engaged or your battery is low. Both features are great to have.

If your flying to a certain area and want to reset for another location, and another benefit is if you live near the water and you want to follow yourself in a boat, then you can easily reset home point, especially if your 2 miles from home

Ahhh .... could you set the new home point back to the controller's new position (thinking of a boat trip)?
For some reason I thought the home lock reset was with respect to the quad's current position at the time of reset. Admittedly ignorant on this. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31