DJI 2V+ Submerged in pool for 30 seconds.

Reaction score
I was in 3/4 throttle in a descent and couldn't recover from pulling up in time. The DJI became uncontrollable and started rocking, finally splashing into our swimming pool. It only stayed under for 30 sec max. After letting it dry out for a day, the motors still won't start. Structurally, everything seems intact. Which internal parts/components are generally needing replaced after water damage? Thanks !

jdeck said:
I was in 3/4 throttle in a descent and couldn't recover from pulling up in time. The DJI became uncontrollable and started rocking, finally splashing into our swimming pool. It only stayed under for 30 sec max. After letting it dry out for a day, the motors still won't start. Structurally, everything seems intact. Which internal parts/components are generally needing replaced after water damage? Thanks !

NAZA (200), GPS Unit (149) , ESCs (2 @ 18), central board (60), and obviously the motors (4 @ 35) -

jdeck said:

If this had happened to me, the first thing I would have done is take the top portion of the phantom off to expose all the electronics.. Then I would have literally buried the entire device in rice (for a day or two) to absorb any moisture. sounds crazy i know, but it's known to work from past research on water and electronic devices...

srandall25 said:
If this had happened to me, the first thing I would have done is take the top portion of the phantom off to expose all the electronics.. Then I would have literally buried the entire device in rice (for a day or two) to absorb any moisture. sounds crazy i know, but it's known to work from past research on water and electronic devices...

I knew there was some other use for those 100lb bags of rice in Sam's club that I always see on those restaurant owners' carts by the tens...lol. Yes the rice trick works wonders.

have you tried with a battery other than the one that went underwater?
Also, as an FYI? If it doesnt work, I believe DJI has a policy on their website (or perhaps it was a dealers site) that mentioned they do not repair Phantoms that have been submerged in water. worst case you may be able to write this off on your homeowners insurance?

Thanks everyone..I have taken the top off and covered in rice. I will check it out in a few days. If for some reason it doesnt fire back up or I am needing a part or 2, what is the best place to purchase genuine DJI parts? Does DJI sell parts directly or is there a respectable distributor out there that anyone recommends?

Thanks,
Jordan

Try any DJI dealer. But be advised there are very few new parts available from anywhere that are exclusively for the Phantom 2 Vision Plus model.

I'll add my 2 cents. With my experience most electronics damage from water comes ions in the water. De-ionized water is non-conductive and doesn't damage electronics. Unfortunately ponds, lakes, pools and oceans are full of ions. These ions cause damage because there is still current in the electronics when they come in contact with the water and later as the water dries out cause serious corrosion and therefore bridging of connections. So if you should get your electronics exposed to pool water, there may be no saving them however, the best chance of saving them is to first immerse the electronics in DI water to dilute or remove as many ions as possible prior to attempting to drying it out. To dry it out rice, low heat and time are a great way to accomplish this.

reminds me of when i first got my dji f450...had the quad hovering for a couple of minutes and all of a sudden it shot into the sky...I couldn't even see it anymore...My concern was it landing on a child or hitting a car...Then i saw it return and landed right in my pool....Being a newbie, i just left it alone for a day in the sun...My dealer just told me to return it to him and he sent me a new one...This is Robert from UAV Products...great guy...

Any update. I soaked mine and dried it out. Now when i try to power it up, there is a "click" lights flash...then "nothing"...I would start changing the central circuit board, then other parts, but didn't want to start throwing money at the problem...HELP?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl