Diy wifi boost for standard

Reaction score
So I got a windsurfer for my p3s not realizing it wouldn't affect the video signal, so now I have full r/c reception at 600m but glitchy video.. I only just got the bird so I'm not too keen to jump into voiding the warranty with a proper mod, so I'm just wondering is there a diy way to increase the wifi a bit without voiding my warranty? I don't expect massive increase but it'd be nice to have steady video out to 600m..

I'm new to the Phantom myself, but from what I've read the answer to your question is no. Any mod to the wifi means opening up the controller, which I'm sure means voiding the warranty. Not sure where your from, but I'm in the US using FCC and get out 1000M+ with a windsurfer. The wifi (video downlink) has very much to do with location at the flight path, with homes or other points of interference. I'm in the same boat as you, only have had the P3S for a few months and not at the point to do any permanent mods, YET.

Thought of that myself with my windsurfer. The windsurfers semi block the sight of the two internal wifi antennas. They are about right where the outer edges of the windsurfer would be. So I could see were one side or the other might be blocked at say a 45° to the inter side of either one, if your don't have the controller pointed dead on with the bird.

Sorry, I should have stated I was in Australia on CE mode. Before the windsurfer both rc and wifi started dropping out between 4-500m(as per spec), with the windsurfer video was stable to 500 and started dropping out towards 600 but I still had full rc control! I was thinking along the lines of a reflective external thingamajig to perhaps focus the wifi signal too.. But I have no idea what I'm doing so if no one else has done it I guess it's not viable/worth it lol..

I would just buy a ant. mod if you have the cash. Like the "DBS" or "ARGtek" There are some threads on DIY mods where you can buy parts on the cheap from Ebay.

Yeah I've already decided I'll put a dbs mod on eventually.. Looks like argtek tops out at 1300m on CE mode which would no doubt lead me to get the dbs anyway lol..

The benefit with the argtek mod is that you don't have to drill any holes and can easily just reinstall your stock antenna should something happen although if something happens to your drone, DJI won't want your remote (unless it's the remote that's busted)..

Reactions: gvsukids
One of your antennas is in the case of the remote. The windsurfer may be blocking it.
Had the example today, was out about 400m and started to get a weak downlink signal. So as a test I removed the windsurfer, the wifi link came right up and the rc signal dropped right down. The only way I got both to be up was with the windsurfer and rotating to get pointed dead on so the mod didn't block the internal antennas.

Last edited:
If you mod the controller, you are only voiding the warranty for the controller, not the drone itself. I modded my controller and had to send my drone in for warranty repair, they had no issues with my controller not in the box.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik