DIY Phantom 3 Standard

Reaction score
Ok so I have a phantom 3 standard without a body and without a camera and gimbal .
It's totally wired together just pulled out of smashed shell. It's got no camera / gimbal and with the price drop its not worth purchasing a new one because at around $300 for the gimbal and $60 for the body it's to close to retail of a new quad .

I'm building the frame from 1/2" PVC . And have everything I need to make a functional GPS assisted quad .
My question is on the battery as I'm stumped .
I assume the intelligent portion of the battery is simply for battery info through the app.
Can I just cut the wires and plug in a standard lipo amd will the unit just power on and power off when I unplug it ?
If not does anyone know where I might find a totally no good phantom 3 battery to strip the circuit board out and wire in to trick the phantom into thinking it's got the correct battery ?
I mean if none of this is possible I guess I'm still ahead of the game as I do have a new P3S too and so ill have every spare part for it in an emergency .
But of sure like to DIY this bag of P3S parts into a flier .

i think you probably will need to stick to the DJI battery, if you plan to use the Go app. Some folks can't get the counterfeit batteries to work after the latest firmware update.

Reactions: Jack P3S
Welcome Jack,

Interesting concept.
I suppose it would be possible. Would you be using the GO app to communicate with this Frankendrone? You may have to just figure a way to incorporate the DJI Intelligent battery into your design. Why not? It really don't have to snap into place, it just needs to connect. Heck for testing purposes you could just wire tie it to Frankendrone. Hey I like that name. Post some pictures as you build it. Would like to see how it progresses.

You have came to the right place for information. Enjoy your time here. Be sure to read all you can. There are tons of threads on just about any subject you can think of that has to do with the quad-copters. The search function works well here. Use it often, you will find what ever you need. In that rare case that you can not, there are great people here to help. Thanks for coming to Phantom Pilots! You are family now.
If you need any help/parts, please visit:

www.PhantomHelp.com

Welcome Jack,

Interesting concept.
I suppose it would be possible. Would you be using the GO app to communicate with this Frankendrone? You may have to just figure a way to incorporate the DJI Intelligent battery into your design. Why not? It really don't have to snap into place, it just needs to connect. Heck for testing purposes you could just wire tie it to Frankendrone. Hey I like that name. Post some pictures as you build it. Would like to see how it progresses.

You have came to the right place for information. Enjoy your time here. Be sure to read all you can. There are tons of threads on just about any subject you can think of that has to do with the quad-copters. The search function works well here. Use it often, you will find what ever you need. In that rare case that you can not, there are great people here to help. Thanks for coming to Phantom Pilots! You are family now.
If you need any help/parts, please visit:

www.PhantomHelp.com

Thank you . We actually ar calling it a Frankendrone also lol.
You know I could use the GO App or not but its really probably safer to test with the app up.
I had thought about doing just what you mentioned and plugging in the stock battery and using zip ties for the test . I did leave all wiring intact so that would be easy enough .
The authentic batteries have come down in price and I need more anyway lol.
Just thought if I could hack it somehow it would be more authentic of a Frankendrone but DJI really does limit the DIY aspect of their machines .
ive been told I'll have a lot of trouble with the GPS doing what I'm doing but here's my plan tell me what you think .
I've salvaged all of the shielding covering the GPS chip in one piece . I decided to cut the dome potion with the chip mount studs off the top of the broken body and just screw the chip back in and cover it again with the shielding . I'll have to attach the hack to the frame somehow but I do believe the method should give me reliable GPS usage .

So what you are saying is that you "surgically" removed the top portion of the drone that houses the GPS and are going to "transplant" it into Frankendrone. I would think that it would work. I don't see why not. It will have the same access to the"sky" as the original?

"Surgically" and "transplant"....LOL I crack myself up sometimes.

Reactions: Jack P3S
Ok so I have a phantom 3 standard without a body and without a camera and gimbal .
It's totally wired together just pulled out of smashed shell. It's got no camera / gimbal and with the price drop its not worth purchasing a new one because at around $300 for the gimbal and $60 for the body it's to close to retail of a new quad .

I'm building the frame from 1/2" PVC . And have everything I need to make a functional GPS assisted quad .
My question is on the battery as I'm stumped .
I assume the intelligent portion of the battery is simply for battery info through the app.
Can I just cut the wires and plug in a standard lipo amd will the unit just power on and power off when I unplug it ?
If not does anyone know where I might find a totally no good phantom 3 battery to strip the circuit board out and wire in to trick the phantom into thinking it's got the correct battery ?
I mean if none of this is possible I guess I'm still ahead of the game as I do have a new P3S too and so ill have every spare part for it in an emergency .
But of sure like to DIY this bag of P3S parts into a flier .
just pony up the $60 for the frame, you could use it to relay your signal to the new phantom 3 standard you have, some people have done this to increase their range. Basically you hook up a repeater on one and fly it above you and then your phantom 3 standard with the camera will get the signal easier.

Thank you . We actually ar calling it a Frankendrone also lol.
You know I could use the GO App or not but its really probably safer to test with the app up.
I had thought about doing just what you mentioned and plugging in the stock battery and using zip ties for the test . I did leave all wiring intact so that would be easy enough .
The authentic batteries have come down in price and I need more anyway lol.
Just thought if I could hack it somehow it would be more authentic of a Frankendrone but DJI really does limit the DIY aspect of their machines .
ive been told I'll have a lot of trouble with the GPS doing what I'm doing but here's my plan tell me what you think .
I've salvaged all of the shielding covering the GPS chip in one piece . I decided to cut the dome potion with the chip mount studs off the top of the broken body and just screw the chip back in and cover it again with the shielding . I'll have to attach the hack to the frame somehow but I do believe the method should give me reliable GPS usage .
Jack, you do realize the shielding goes under the GPS chip, to isolate it from the main board? Just checking.

Good catch, I just reread the post. I missed that

Reactions: Techcop50
Jack, you do realize the shielding goes under the GPS chip, to isolate it from the main board? Just checking.

Yes I'm aware ..
It's not a mistake in the post ...
The shielding will be covering the exposed side of the chip just as it was when it was disassembled by me .
Not my first rodeo

Reactions: Techcop50
just pony up the $60 for the frame, you could use it to relay your signal to the new phantom 3 standard you have, some people have done this to increase their range. Basically you hook up a repeater on one and fly it above you and then your phantom 3 standard with the camera will get the signal easier.

Not interested in ponying anything up .
Interested in doing exactly what I said on the initial post .

Can't wait to see that thing.

Yes I'm aware ..
It's not a mistake in the post ...
The shielding will be covering the exposed side of the chip just as it was when it was disassembled by me .
Not my first rodeo
Just got a bit lost in the read, cowboy. No insult intended! :)

I am however interested in hearing more about this repeater option .
What parts are required and how is it put together ?
I can accomplish it without buying a shell though . No ?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Sounds kinda like a flying transmission tower...LOL

Yes . I somewhat get it but I'm curious to see how it's done with the quad for sure .

I am however interested in hearing more about this repeater option .
What parts are required and how is it put together ?
I can accomplish it without buying a shell though . No ?

I personally have not done this but I believe @telescott has, he should have all the details

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers