DIY phantom 3 battery?

Reaction score
i see the p3 uses 6000 mAh LiPo 2S. hobbyking sells something similar for $5
Rhino 610mAh 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack
pretty obvious DJI is ripping us off selling a battery for $120 with the excuse that it's intelligent.

has anyone bought a regular lipo pack then add DJI bms onto it?
im thinking of buying used or bad dji battery pack for cheap just to use the BMS with fresh lipo. please advise....

In your own words, your comparing a 6,000mAh battery to a 610mAh.

A phantom 3 battery is actually a 4S (4 lipo cells in parallel) nominal voltage of 15.2 volts. The amp rating is 4,480mAh.

Buy Phantom 3 Intelligent Flight Battery | DJI Store

something close to that is approx $68.00
Turnigy nano-tech 4400mah 4S 65~130C Lipo Pack

Add the circuit that monitors the cells and downlinks to your tablet. Each battery comes with it's own Lipo charger. So you only need to supply 17.+ volts to the DJI battery and it will charge and balance all on it's own. Oh, and it will auto discharge to ensure longevity of battery.
I think $120.00 is a very fair price.

And they got the props for $6 too. I ordered a couple extra batteries and since the order was above minimum for free shipping I tacked on extra sets of props and a P3 screw pack :)

i see the p3 uses 6000 mAh LiPo 2S. hobbyking sells something similar for $5
Rhino 610mAh 2S 7.4v 20C Lipoly Pack
pretty obvious DJI is ripping us off selling a battery for $120 with the excuse that it's intelligent.

has anyone bought a regular lipo pack then add DJI bms onto it?
im thinking of buying used or bad dji battery pack for cheap just to use the BMS with fresh lipo. please advise....

It would seem you have conflated the controller's battery with the aircraft's battery (bold emphasis mine), No???

That seems plausable. I don't know whats inside the RC, obviously way different than in the P3 itself. The P3 needs high current while the RC needs long duration. at much lower current so the 2s for the RC makes more sense.

Definitely a 2S in the controller, capacity escapes me at the moment.

The first post is going wrong 610 Mah. I was thinking something 5000mAh or more. I use those on my F450 build, (All DJI). Theres also some LiHv Batteris I have that are 15.2 volts. still 4S batteries.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20