DIY gimbal protection

I have ordered the Switchblade, which includes the carbon fiber camera guard, and the inertia guard from Fastsmiles. I have not received the parts yet, I ordered them only yesterday, but I just want to say what a friendly and personable guy Fastsmiles is. He sent me an email to thank me for my order and to assure me he would get the parts to me as quickly as possible. How often can you say that you get a personal email from a business thanking you for your order? I also had a couple of questions which he answered promptly and thoroughly and told me not to hesitate to ask if I had other questions. I felt like I was talking to a long time neighbor who lives down the street. It is because of this personal, friendly, and prompt attention that I am certain he will be successful in any of his business endeavors. This on top of all of the high praises others have made regarding the quality and craftsmanship of his parts. I highly recommend his company and the parts they provide. Thank you again for all of your help and the amazing parts you provide to make us feel a little better when we crash our copters. :D

Joe

Man... I'm thinking about asking Fastsmiles for commission for sales off of this thread! :lol: Totally kidding fastsmiles, keep up the good work. Did you see the pic of how they sent my camera back? Looks like it'll be another month before I get to try out your design. Totally bummed...

I just orederd the Inertia Guard. What would be the benifits or lack of, by placing small zip ties through the vibration aabsorbers that do not have the anti drop kit pins? Please do not beat me up as I am the new guy who is learning. :)

While I've never seen anyone say it happened, the gimbal would fall off if those two anti drop kit pins broke. You won't hurt anything by attaching the zip ties. Just make them very loose so it doesn't affect the video stability.

Attachments

• IMG_0739.JPG
    IMG_0739.JPG
    83 KB · Views: 609
thank you for the quick reply.
Larry

I purchased the Inertia Guard and installed it this week (love it!). It fits perfectly, is easy to remove (if needed), and allows the gimbal protector to be used without modification. And, at this price point, it's a no-brainer.

I bought the Phantom Fix too and am sorry I didn't find the Inertia Guard first. FYI, the Phantom Fix has a sloppy fit, is not made with much precision, is permanently attached, and requires the gimbal protector to be modified. Needless to say, I did not use it.

DIY gimbal Protection... aluminum les cost ...

Attachments

• photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 493
  • photo 2.JPG
    photo 2.JPG
    37 KB · Views: 511
  • photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    32.4 KB · Views: 527
Just got back from a trip to Cozumel with my Phantom. Have enjoyed the purchase of my Switch Blade carbon fiber camera guard and inertia/gimbal guard from Fastsmiles. The simplicity of design of the inertia guard is pure genius. However, I have a couple criticisms of the Switch Blade that could be improved.

Improvements Needed.

1. The rubber grommets need to be lengthened so that there is some clearance between the Phantom's landing gear and the carbon fiber camera guard. The problem is that when you mount the camera guard inside of the Phantom's landing gear as you should, it creates a few millimeters of space and tension of the Switch Blade front landing gear which leverages the cut-out's that are supposed to hold it in place over the rubber feet of the Phantom's landing gear out beyond those rubber feet. When flying in gusty beach wind, the Switch Blade's plastic landing gear would sometimes swing into camera view and photo bomb the video or photo. Biggest Gripe.

2. The rubber grommets need to be lengthened because the tolerances are too tight and can work the landing gear out of the holes of the carbon fiber camera guard which secures the Switch Blade's landing gear and allows it to fold in/out of use. After a couple flights of packing/unpacking my Phantom and folding out the Switch Blade's landing gear before flying, one of the legs came off in my hand. Again, because of the leverage issue mentioned above in paragraph "1.", the tension it creates can pull the thicker rubber cap through the carbon fiber hole after a few times of folding the landing gear in/out for flight. Just be aware of it and check the tops of the grommet caps to insure that they are not pulling through the holes in the landing gear legs or carbon fiber camera guard before flying. Pushing the Switch Blade landing gear up into the carbon fiber and twisting will insure the top cap is flush and secure. You don't want to lose a leg while your flying!!

Great Features:

1. Looks!! The carbon fiber camera guard is bad *** and high tech looking. In fact,, I wish I could turn my Phantom's case into a carbon fiber match! The clear plastic legs rotate in for transport and worked well with a Phantom backpack while easily rotating out before flying to offer additional stability for the Phantom. It looks cool to swing the legs out before flying and it really gives it much more stability when taking off from a table in a beach side wind.

2. Function! It mounts securely between the Phantom's inside plastic landing gear using 4 included zip ties. It definitely provides a more ridged and stronger landing gear while also providing a barrier against foreign objects coming directly up and into the camera in the event of crash. It can't completely extend across the width of the Phantom's landing gear or it would block the camera view, however, it covers the greatest portion with a portion removed center camera so that the Vision+'s camera can record without obstruction at 90 degree angles. The Camera Guard is never seen in any of my photos or video.

3. Peace of Mind. I'm not going to crash my Phantom to see if the Switch Blade camera guard and Inertia/Gimbal guard work. However, I can tell you that bits do give me a piece of mind that should the unthinkable happen, I've given my Vision+'s camera and gimbal the best chance they can have to survive without damage. The quality of the materials and work that has gone into their fabrication and design is obviously the work of an enthusiast who understands the Vision+ camera's operational range and potential for damage due to crash.

I highly recommend the Switch Blade carbon fiber camera guard and the Inertia/Gimbal guard. Its apparent it was made by someone who loves to fly his Vision+ and knows how to protect it's cool camera & gimbal.

Attachments

• Phantom4.jpg
    Phantom4.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 806
  • bengal.jpg
    bengal.jpg
    5.8 MB · Views: 414
  • bengal2.jpg
    bengal2.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 426
BengalBoy said:
Just got back from a trip to Cozumel with my Phantom. Have enjoyed the purchase of my Switch Blade carbon fiber camera guard and inertia/gimbal guard from Fastsmiles. The simplicity of design of the inertia guard is pure genius. However, I have a couple criticisms of the Switch Blade that could be improved.

Improvements Needed.

1. The rubber grommets need to be lengthened so that there is some clearance between the Phantom's landing gear and the carbon fiber camera guard. The problem is that when you mount the camera guard inside of the Phantom's landing gear as you should, it creates a few millimeters of space and tension of the Switch Blade front landing gear which leverages the cut-out's that are supposed to hold it in place over the rubber feet of the Phantom's landing gear out beyond those rubber feet. When flying in gusty beach wind, the Switch Blade's plastic landing gear would sometimes swing into camera view and photo bomb the video or photo. Biggest Gripe.

2. The rubber grommets need to be lengthened because the tolerances are too tight and can work the landing gear out of the holes of the carbon fiber camera guard which secures the Switch Blade's landing gear and allows it to fold in/out of use. After a couple flights of packing/unpacking my Phantom and folding out the Switch Blade's landing gear before flying, one of the legs came off in my hand. Again, because of the leverage issue mentioned above in paragraph "1.", the tension it creates can pull the thicker rubber cap through the carbon fiber hole after a few times of folding the landing gear in/out for flight. Just be aware of it and check the tops of the grommet caps to insure that they are not pulling through the holes in the landing gear legs or carbon fiber camera guard before flying. Pushing the Switch Blade landing gear up into the carbon fiber and twisting will insure the top cap is flush and secure. You don't want to lose a leg while your flying!!

Great Features:

1. Looks!! The carbon fiber camera guard is bad *** and high tech looking. In fact,, I wish I could turn my Phantom's case into a carbon fiber match! The clear plastic legs rotate in for transport and worked well with a Phantom backpack while easily rotating out before flying to offer additional stability for the Phantom. It looks cool to swing the legs out before flying and it really gives it much more stability when taking off from a table in a beach side wind.

2. Function! It mounts securely between the Phantom's inside plastic landing gear using 4 included zip ties. It definitely provides a more ridged and stronger landing gear while also providing a barrier against foreign objects coming directly up and into the camera in the event of crash. It can't completely extend across the width of the Phantom's landing gear or it would block the camera view, however, it covers the greatest portion with a portion removed center camera so that the Vision+'s camera can record without obstruction at 90 degree angles. The Camera Guard is never seen in any of my photos or video.

3. Pease of Mind. I'm not going to crash my Phantom to see if the Switch Blade camera guard and Inertia/Gimbal guard work. However, I can tell you that bits do give me a piece of mind that should the unthinkable happen, I've given my Vision+'s camera and gimbal the best chance they can have to survive without damage. The quality of the materials and work that has gone into their fabrication and design is obviously the work of an enthusiast who understands the Vision+ camera's operational range and potential for damage due to crash.

I highly recommend the Switch Blade carbon fiber camera guard and the Inertia/Gimbal guard. Its apparent it was made by someone who loves to fly his Vision+ and knows how to protect it's cool camera & gimbal.
In the last pic, does if help bending the wifi antenna wire on the leg like that?

fastsmiles said:
Thanks Jazziet,

It really makes me feel good when I get feedback from people that our products have helped.

Hey Buddy I didn't realize that you are UAV bits! I'm totally impressed with your new products, not only are they very inventive, but your prices are unbelievably reasonable!!! You are a Class Act !!
PS: did U get the T- Shirt I sent you? In fact I just completed a design on a new shirt design that I have been storing in my head for months, I'm going to send U the items I'm going to print the design on, A T-Shirt, A Binder, and Decals.

Moose

Mannyx said:
DIY gimbal Protection... aluminum les cost ...

Dude, nice mod. BUT, your gimbal clamp is not doing its job very well where it is shown. If you grab the camera and twist, you will see how easy it releases from the clamp. You really should modify the clamp so it slips on all the way where it was originally before your aluminum mod. Hopefully you have a dremel or have access to one, to carefully cut the clamp in the right places.

@Eyecon82

I received my Vision+ V3.0 with the antenna bent out like this from DJI. I don't know if it was by design or just by chance? However, increaseing the surface area of a antenna does make sense to me that a horizontal line would improve WiFi connectivity. Back in the day of early Smartphones, we would use WiFi SD card modules to connect our Smartphones to networks. Range was very dependent on the angle you held your Smartphone at with these early antennas. Whether or not it can increase the range of your Phantom's WiFi connectivity to your Smartphone & Vision app is unknown to me, but, I don't think it would hurt? Haha!!

BengalBoy said:
@Eyecon82

I received my Vision+ V3.0 with the antenna bent out like this from DJI. I don't know if it was by design or just by chance? However, increaseing the surface area of a antenna does make sense to me that a horizontal line would improve WiFi connectivity. Back in the day of early Smartphones, we would use WiFi SD card modules to connect our Smartphones to networks. Range was very dependent on the angle you held your Smartphone at with these early antennas. Whether or not it can increase the range of your Phantom's WiFi connectivity to your Smartphone & Vision app is unknown to me, but, I don't think it would hurt? Haha!!
interesting, mine is tucked all the way inside not sticking out at all. I'll try putting it like yours and see if I see a difference

BengalBoy said:
@Eyecon82

interesting, mine is tucked all the way inside not sticking out at all. I'll try putting it like yours and see if I see a difference

I live in canada , so shipping cost + time will kill me ... there is a neighbour who has a 3d printer ...could u please share the dimensions and drawings of your design with me ?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav