DIY Camera Filter Ring

Reaction score
I did a DIY job rigging a filter ring on my Vision's camera. Bought a 40.5mm to 46mm step-up ring ($4.00) and glued it to the beveled edge on the metal faceplate P2V's camera. The 40.5mm filter thread has in inside diameter of 38mm which is just slightly larger than the diameter of the front face of the metal faceplate ring on the PV2 camera. By chamfering/beveling the inside-back edge of the step up ring to match the beveled edge of the camera's faceplate, it made better contact for gluing, and brought the ring a few mm closer to the lens to lessen the potential of vignetting from the filters. See install photos at link below.

If I did it again, I would consider using a 40.5mm to 52mm step-up ring, for a couple of reasons. One, I have multiple 52mm filters in my photo kit, and two, I checked the results of my mod with a 46mm star filter I have, and it does result in some vignetting. The vignette is visible in stills and wide angle video, however, in both cases it is removed with the DJI lens correction filter in Photoshop. Hopefully I can find a low enough profile UV filter in 46mm that will not produce a vignette. The installed filter ring on it's own does not produce a vignette.

http://www.pbase.com/image/154022499/original.jpg

What a great idea!

I agree, 52mm would be a nice target size. I know I've got a bunch of old 52mm filters lying around somewhere but I doubt the macro lens set would be of much value. Any idea if a circular polarizer interacts with the digital sensor?

I would love to buy one from you. Let me know!

Yep -- i ordered a 40.5 to 52mm adapter from ebay, only a few bucks....

And -- circular polarisers are fine on digital cameras. I use 'em on my dslrs and gopro....

kloader,
You posted "The installed filter ring on it's own does produce a vignette."
Did you mean does NOT?
Thanks, Gary

garygid said:
kloader,
You posted "The installed filter ring on it's own does produce a vignette."
Did you mean does NOT?
Thanks, Gary

Good catch. I did mean it “does not” produce a vignette. I've corrected my original post.

I just ordered this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/40-5-52mm-Step- ... 0946609439

I will try to chuck it up (but not sure how to do that gently enough)
and gently remove the back 40.5 mm section, and bevel
the remaining hole to fit the camera outer conical shape.

Then, the filter should sit back another mm or so, and the 52 mm filter might not block anything?

Expectations, or suggestions?

Use of a circular polarizer on the Vision could be a little challenging. Rotation of the filter will require a return to earth (landing) and some trial and error with each scene to get the best results. I’ll give it try and post some results sometime in the near future.

I also ordered a 46mm to 52mm step up ring so I can use of some of my existing 52mm filters. However, I would expect that if I affix the step-up ring and then say my 52mm polarizer filter, I could end up with a ground clearance problem with the camera angled down. I may have to get in the habit of raising the camera before landing to avoid knocking the camera when landing.

Anyone considering rigging a 40.5mm to 52mm ring should check their ground clearance.

Good suggestion, thanks.
Ground clearance with the camera tilted down, the 52mm size filters,
and perhaps using 2 filters (UV and polarized for example) might be a problem.

Tilting the camera up to almost horizontal might be a beneficial pre-landing
procedure to get in the habit of doing.

Presumably the camera already has a UV filter built in, and adding another
might substantially change the color balance, right?

kloader said:
Use of a circular polarizer on the Vision could be a little challenging. Rotation of the filter will require a return to earth (landing) and some trial and error with each scene to get the best results. I’ll give it try and post some results sometime in the near future.

I also ordered a 46mm to 52mm step up ring so I can use of some of my existing 52mm filters. However, I would expect that if I affix the step-up ring and then say my 52mm polarizer filter, I could end up with a ground clearance problem with the camera angled down. I may have to get in the habit of raising the camera before landing to avoid knocking the camera when landing.

Anyone considering rigging a 40.5mm to 52mm ring should check their ground clearance.

I was thinking the same thing. However I wonder how many people actually use the circular ring as it was intended.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik