DIY Antenna Booster for Phantom 3

As some of you brought up SWR, I think the SWR of stock antenna is around 1.5:1 to 2:1. Adding parabolic reflector may change the SWR (better or worse), but I don't think 100mW (EIRP FCC: 20dBm per DJI spec.) output power from the RC would damage anything regardless the SWR, unless you detach the antenna. Assuming the stock antenna is with 3dBi gain, then the final stage output is only 50mW (17dBm) to end up with 100mW EIRP (20dBm).

Last edited:
Has anyone tried removing ipad/android device of the holder somehow and see if range increases and may cause less issues all round i dunno im gonna experiment
Ya i tried it many times? Nothing happens the same,
The most important is the direction of the antenna ?

The beauty of this DIY booster is no antenna mods required. You can install or remove the booster within seconds on Phantom 3 remote controller. It is cheap (cost almost nothing) and easier than any antenna mod without the hassles and risks of adding/replacing 2.4G antenna, pigtail cable and drilling holes on RC. It's widely used in RC hobby and Wi-Fi router for years.

Video shows how it works improving both RC and HD video signal

11692518_602542766515200_7949220182246705745_n.jpg

A modified PDF template for Phantom 3 antenna available for download https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6EvPgvmsFJlcVZ3QU5BZlFkVkk/view?usp=sharing

• Material required: card paper, aluminum foil (or aluminum/copper tape)

• Tools required: printer, scissors, utility knife, glue, double tape (I use double tape to stick aluminium foil onto card paper)

• DIY steps:
1. Print 2 copies of the PDF template on A4/Letter size paper (or direct on card paper if your printer support) from the above download link
2. Use common sense and follow the steps below
3. https://rchelimenace.wordpress.com/how-to-build-your-own-windsurfer-antenna/
Sorry, but directional antennas make me nervous because if you turn away the antennas, you lose contact with the quad... or did I get that wrong?

That mod will make your antennas more directional vs omnidirectional. Make sure they are pointed in the direction of the P3. The backside of them will have less signal than the front side will. They can not "boost" the signal but they can make it stronger in one direction. More like a flash light than a light bulb.

I built these last night at tested it this morning. I was at my local park where I do most of my flying so I know well the range I can get there. My house is about 1700 feet from the park and that is typically where I start to lose signal. Today I flew past my house and just kept on flying. Over another neighborhood and then over farm land. I started to get really nervous as I passed 4000 feet as I was now almost double my previous best distance. The signal was still strong so I kept going. I finally started to loose signal around 5200 feet. I felt that was good enough for me and so turned around and brought the bird home.

I am VERY impressed by how much a very simple and nearly free modification impacted my range.

Here is the video:

Last edited:
I built these last night at tested it this morning. I was at my local park where I do most of my flying so I know well the range I can get there. My house is about 1700 feet from the park and that is typically where I start to lose signal. Today I flew past my house and just kept on flying. Over another neighborhood and then over farm land. I started to get really nervous as I passed 4000 feet as I was now almost double my previous best distance. The signal was still strong so I kept going. I finally started to loose signal around 5200 feet. I felt that was good enough for me and so turned around and brought the bird home.

I am VERY impressed by how much a very simple and nearly free modification impacted my range.

Here is the video:
Glad to know it works for you. I'm impressive you get triple the range. I estimate about double the range with additional 6dBi gain if you aim your antenna to Phantom properly.

Last edited:
Reactions: Chris Vedeler

Here is the video:
Looks like they work great-- just one question, with all the vacant land in the video, why would you want to test for distance over those neighborhoods where the risk of injury or property damage is pretty big if the bird does not make it back? o_O

I tested these out tonight and the results were outstanding. Where the bird could only fly 2000 ft or so, she went over 5800 ft tonight! WOW!!! Will try again tomorrow before I have cocktails, lol.

My field strength meter test was very positive. Testing without the mod @ 10' I got 14 U /Am, with the mod on I got 22 U A/m. Keep in mind this is just a relative field strength meter as it is not in-line for this test, but a near doubling of radiated power within the 20º arch to the front is impressive, although the ratio between RF power and range is on a sliding scale I did not expect that much of an improvement. Radiated power to the sides and back did drop 40% so keep the bird in front of you.

As some of you brought up SWR, I think the SWR of stock antenna is around 1.5:1 to 2:1. Adding parabolic reflector may change the SWR (better or worse), but I don't think 100mW (EIRP FCC: 20dBm per DJI spec.) output power from the RC would damage anything regardless the SWR, unless you detach the antenna. Assuming the stock antenna is with 3dBi gain, then the final stage output is only 50mW (17dBm) to end up with 100mW EIRP (20dBm).
Exactly, you would have to transmit into no load to hurt the final, and maybe not even then with only 100mW, all a high SWR would do in this case is drastically reduce operational range. I wanted to test the SWR but as that is a in-line test I can't do it with my meter.

My field strength meter test was very positive. Testing without the mod @ 10' I got 14 U /Am, with the mod on I got 22 U A/m. Keep in mind this is just a relative field strength meter as it is not in-line for this test, but a near doubling of radiated power within the 20º arch to the front is impressive, although the ratio between RF power and range is on a sliding scale I did not expect that much of an improvement. Radiated power to the sides and back did drop 40% so keep the bird in front of you.

Makes a person wonder if paying for any of the expensive antenna upgrades are cost effective, when a dollar solution takes the bird to battery limits.

Reactions: rhoffart
Exactly, you would have to transmit into no load to hurt the final, and maybe not even then with only 100mW, all a high SWR would do in this case is drastically reduce operational range. I wanted to test the SWR but as that is a in-line test I can't do it with my meter.
I used a low-end SWR meter to test my DIY LHCP helical back to 2013 for Phantom 2 Vision. I got a perfect 1.05 SWR, but the range test result is about the same as SWR 2.5:1.

Attachments

• Best Helical SWR.JPG
    Best Helical SWR.JPG
    33.8 KB · Views: 1,233
Looks like they work great-- just one question, with all the vacant land in the video, why would you want to test for distance over those neighborhoods where the risk of injury or property damage is pretty big if the bird does not make it back? o_O

Frankly, I didn't think it would work that well. I fly around my neighborhood all the time and have gained a lot of confidence. I wasn't nervous until I was over the farmland.

This antenna booster (parabolic reflector) had been tested and proven over a decade ago. Below result is a 12 dBi parabolic reflector, while the OP is 9 dBi with lower gain but wider beam width.

6inch_plot_horiz.jpg

6inch_plot_vert.jpg

Hi guys. All this looks very promising.

I'll likely make a pair with the foil as illustrated but was just wondering if anyone has tried with different. more hardy reflective materials as from my days in kindergarten I know foil doesn't last that long?
-would metallic paint spayed on to the card or even plastic work?
-would the tin from a can of drink work?

In any case, where does one source the thicker foil?

Flew 2.5 Miles (4km) out today with my DIY parabolic deflectors. Had full signal strength all the time. My next long distance goal is 3.5 miles. This mod works fantastic!! The only limiting factor now is battery capacity :)

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl