DiY 50cent 15min Large Tablet Extension

Reaction score
I like everything about the IPAD Air2 for flying the Phantom except how susceptible it seems to be to breaking, especially if dropped (something I seem to do when over a hard surface).

Good solution seemed to be a rugged case but he no longer fits in the standard controller bracket.

There are a range of inexpensive extenders available, Several I like (and have seen favourably reviewed here) however all are at least a week away postage wise and I wanted to fly now.

Solution....... A less than 50c coat hanger, small length of heat-shrink tubing and less than 20 min and I'm up and running. Only tools required being a pair of side cutters and standard pliers.

Simply bend to shape and use the heat shrink to secure the ends. The images should tell the whole story. It holds the IPAD surprisingly well. Well enough that I am unsure if I need to order one of the commercially available options. And it takes no space in the bag.

The Bends

image.jpeg

Heat shrink

image.jpeg

Mounted Ready to Fly

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

You are genius.

That is sweet! I've always wondered why DJI doesn't make the clip lip stick out another 1/4", with slightly more angle to the lips. It seems like such an easy fix to a clear problem, using tablets with a case.

Last edited:
That is sweet! I've always wondered by DJI doesn't make the clip lip stick out another 1/4", with slightly more angle to the lips. It seems like such an easy fix to a clear problem, using tablets with a case.
Seems they allowed for the ipad (no cover). Someone making a whole new bracket would be nice.

Very nice work. You have some unique bending skills.

Looks good. I did something similar when I first got my 10.1 tablet. I also put some heatshrink around the u-bend portion at the top to add some friction and anti-scratch ability.
my tablet liked to wobble just a little, and I was afraid it could slide out sideways. I have since 3d printed a new extension that works a bit better L:)

Looks good. I did something similar when I first got my 10.1 tablet. I also put some heatshrink around the u-bend portion at the top to add some friction and anti-scratch ability.
my tablet liked to wobble just a little, and I was afraid it could slide out sideways. I have since 3d printed a new extension that works a bit better L:)
Post up a photo of your extension, I'm interested in seeing it.

As to wobble- i have less wobble now than before the ipad went in the case and was in the standard mount without extension. With the extension the ratchet on the mount is less extended than it was holding the ipad alone (less flex). There is a bit of give in the wire which applies a little extra clamping force. I did cut a piece of rubber to go between the tab and mount but there is no need to use it, no way its sliding out.

I like everything about the IPAD Air2 for flying the Phantom except how susceptible it seems to be to breaking, especially if dropped (something I seem to do when over a hard surface).

Good solution seemed to be a rugged case but he no longer fits in the standard controller bracket.

There are a range of inexpensive extenders available, Several I like (and have seen favourably reviewed here) however all are at least a week away postage wise and I wanted to fly now.

Solution....... A less than 50c coat hanger, small length of heat-shrink tubing and less than 20 min and I'm up and running. Only tools required being a pair of side cutters and standard pliers.

Simply bend to shape and use the heat shrink to secure the ends. The images should tell the whole story. It holds the IPAD surprisingly well. Well enough that I am unsure if I need to order one of the commercially available options. And it takes no space in the bag.

The Bends

View attachment 49855

Heat shrink

View attachment 49856

Mounted Ready to Fly

View attachment 49854 View attachment 49853

Thanks for sharing this.
My work sent me the 12.9 iPad Pro on Friday and I have been dying to give it a try.
Going to make this right now and see how it goes.
Thanks again!

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Just remember, during the summer months, if you're flying with a case installed this will hinder the cooling of the iPad and it might overheat in ambient temps approaching 100F.

I just made one of these. I can't believe how well it works! My 3D printed one kept changing shapes in the heat of Arizona. I fricken love this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I just made one of these. I can't believe how well it works! My 3D printed one kept changing shapes in the heat of Arizona. I fricken love this thing!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Simple can be the best, or at least get you underway... pleased it worked out for you Mate... happy flying!

Why not use isolated electricity wire ? Then you have scratch protection for your iPad.

Why not use isolated electricity wire ? Then you have scratch protection for your iPad.
Because it wouldnt wirk. The electrical wire (i assume you are referring to TPS sheathed copper or aluminium conductor) would not hold its shape in this application.

You could.always put one or more layers of heatshrink around the top section. I dont care about a few scratches on the case, i cant notice anything sugnificant though.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj