Diversity patch antenna mod

Reaction score
I wanted to share my antenna mod. This mod allows you to build a nice diversity patch antenna for under $25.

First, get one of these Cisco ANT5170R-P antennas:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant5170r.pdf

They list for $399 but you can get them used on Ebay for $20:
Cisco AIRONET AIR-ANT5170P-R 5GHz 7dBi Diversity Patchw/ Dual RP-TNC

They come with RP-TNC connectors so I had to swap them with SMA connectors.

IMG_2978.JPG

The cable length is 3ft, so you can just cut off the cable to the appropriate length and terminate them with SMA ends.

IMG_2979.JPG

Make sure you leave enough cable length to loop it around like in this picture. This makes the final product fit nicely.

IMG_2989.JPG

Once completed, it also doubles as a sun visor :)
IMG_2986.JPG

IMG_2988.JPG

Performance was great compared to my stock antennas. I live near an airport so my max altitude was 95m. I went out about 450m and the picture was still clear. I was using the stock transmit antenna that came with the IRC 600mW. This is definitely a directional antenna because if I turn around, the picture gets somewhat fuzzy.

I also like the clean look of all my components being white on my remote control.

I'll do some more tests when I get a chance to go somewhere away from an airport. Definitely a great antenna for under $25.

Also, I used the leftover coax to make some circular polarized antennas:

IMG_2991.JPG

These work surprisingly well! I was also able to go out 450m and get decent video. There was just minor flickering (compared to the patch which didn't flicker). The nice part was that these were omni directional so I didn't have to point to the quad.

Last edited:
I wanted to share my antenna mod. This mod allows you to build a nice diversity patch antenna for under $25.

First, get one of these Cisco ANT5170R-P antennas:
http://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/wireless/antenna/installation/guide/ant5170r.pdf

They list for $399 but you can get them used on Ebay for $20:
Cisco AIRONET AIR-ANT5170P-R 5GHz 7dBi Diversity Patchw/ Dual RP-TNC

They come with RP-TNC connectors so I had to swap them with SMA connectors.

The cable length is 3ft, so you can just cut off the cable to the appropriate length and terminate them with SMA ends.

Make sure you leave enough cable length to loop it around like in this picture. This makes the final product fit nicely.

Once completed, it also doubles as a sun visor :)

Performance was great compared to my stock antennas. I live near an airport so my max altitude was 95m. I went out about 450m and the picture was still clear. I was using the stock transmit antenna that came with the IRC 600mW. This is definitely a directional antenna because if I turn around, the picture gets somewhat fuzzy.

I also like the clean look of all my components being white on my remote control.

I'll do some more tests when I get a chance to go somewhere away from an airport. Definitely a great antenna for under $25.

Also, I used the leftover coax to make some circular polarized antennas:

These work surprisingly well! I was also able to go out 450m and get decent video. There was just minor flickering (compared to the patch which didn't flicker). The nice part was that these were omni directional so I didn't have to point to the quad.

I keep getting errors with any of the image links!

Sorry, I guess I'm not adding images properly. I just uploaded the images.

Wow, that looks awesome! So did you keep both antenna wires and use them on both sides of your monitor?

Yes. It's a diversity patch antenna so it has two connections (see the spec sheet). So even though it is a patch antenna (which is directional), it has decent width for close range. Hooks right up to my diversity receiver. 7dBi peak gain.

My P2 returns to home due to loss of connectivity to the remote control, otherwise I would test it further.

Yes. It's a diversity patch antenna so it has two connections (see the spec sheet). So even though it is a patch antenna (which is directional), it has decent width for close range. Hooks right up to my diversity receiver. 7dBi peak gain.

My P2 returns to home due to loss of connectivity to the remote control, otherwise I would test it further.

Sorry, but I don't know much about changing connectors on coax. Any helpful websites/videos that explain it? I think I might do it...

Also, in the picture showing the SMA connectors, what are those other pieces?

Well then now you need to do the controller mod... lol... ;)

Yep, I need to do some research. 450m (~1500ft) just doesn't that far any more :)

Sorry, but I don't know much about changing connectors on coax. Any helpful websites/videos that explain it? I think I might do it...

Also, in the picture showing the SMA connectors, what are those other pieces?

That is a right angle SMA crimp connector. The silver cylinder is the crimp sleeve and other part is the cap. Make sure you get the connector for RG58 type coax.

I could not find a good youtube video or website describing it. I'll keep looking.

Last edited:
I did not find a tutorial online so I just wrote one for you. See attached. How to terminate a right-angle SMA connector.

Terminate-SMA.png

Attachments

• Terminate-SMA.pdf
    567.2 KB · Views: 538
Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik