DITCH THE PROP GUARDS - MORE HARM THAN GOOD

Reaction score
Normally I don't like to make statements like this but - my original post:

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=21276&p=195860#p195860

I removed the prop guards from the kids P2V+ (the fledgling flyers bird) - and flew in dead calm air tonight and presto - not so much as a hint of Vortex Ring State (VRS). I am running the latest version for firmware - always have since new about a month ago. I am ready to throw my prop guards in the recycle bin - worst $19 I ever spent - caused quite a bit of damage on the bird from VRS stalls (all repaired - thank goodness). I don't even want to sell these things to fellow flyers - nothing but a crash waiting to happen. Save yourself the headaches and buy a couple of extra sets of props.

Although from a safety standpoint you perhaps want them to guard others from the rotating props - thats a different issue - but probably not as bad as a P2V+ falling out of the sky...

I was going to get the guards when I bought my Phantom and the dealer talked me out of them. From what I have read on here, I am glad he did.

bergenfelter said:
Although from a safety standpoint you perhaps want them to guard others from the rotating props - thats a different issue - but probably not as bad as a P2V+ falling out of the sky...

I'm glad you took my advice and tried it without the guards. Thank you very much for posting your findings. Big difference, eh? There is something the guards do to disrupt the airflow around the blades. I don't have access to a wind tunnel or the proper equipment, but I'll bet you would see it become obvious were such tests conducted. A fix might even be something as simple as reshaping the edge of the guard.

Dirty Bird said:
bergenfelter said:

I'm glad you took my advice and tried it without the guards. Thank you very much for posting your findings. Big difference, eh? There is something the guards do to disrupt the airflow around the blades. I don't have access to a wind tunnel or the proper equipment, but I'll bet you would see it become obvious were such tests conducted. A fix might even be something as simple as reshaping the edge of the guard.
Maybe fly indoors with prop guards ?

Have no idea why anyone would use them anyway. This isn't an indoor toy. There is no need for them.

andersonpaac said:

If I cut my Phantom loose indoors it would be a hysterical disaster. Whatever the Phantom didn't destroy, the cats would trying to get away. Most would run, but a couple aren't easily intimidated and they would try to pounce on it. That would NOT be a pretty picture. :shock:

Camicus said:
Have no idea why anyone would use them anyway. This isn't an indoor toy. There is no need for them.
I am not endorsing them because I don't know the issues with them. But I can see the use outdoors. Bumping a tree with a prop and you are usually spiraling to the ground. Guards are more forgiving. I fly around trees 90% of the time but don't want to risk the handling of the aircraft so I don't have them on.

Dirty Bird said:
andersonpaac said:

If I cut my Phantom loose indoors it would be a hysterical disaster. Whatever the Phantom didn't destroy, the cats would trying to get away. Most would run, but a couple aren't easily intimidated and they would try to pounce on it. That would NOT be a pretty picture. :shock:

If you have a pouncer kitty be sure and give the carbon fiber blades a try. Probably change their attitude a bit.

:twisted:

Couldn't agree more.
Tho I think they do have their place for complete newbies learning to fly in a wooded environment - or for some of those guys who like to fly thru obstacle courses.
But for the most part, if you're skilled at flying and know how to land without out tipping over, there's no use for prop guards. - and they decrease flight time by a minute or so.
.. unless of course you're one of those who were sold on getting CF props and you fear chipping them!@#

I just bought those $35 quick connects from Atlanta hobby, but I guess I should've done more research before making the purchase! :lol:

I think this video and thread I just saw pretty much explains how I changed my mind.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4LcnVgbxdiI[/youtube]

EMCSQUAR said:
+1 on ditching prop guards. Learned how to change 2 motors compliments of prop guards and long screws.
But that's not the fault of the prop guards.

would a guard that fitted above the prop be any use? would the dirty air/ turbulance have an effect outside of the propwash/airflow?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj