Distance

Reaction score
I thought I would do a fun thread too. What kind of distance have you flown straight out of the box?
No add ons. My best was 2500ft. Lost sight around 2200 got nervous brought it back. I only have
about 6 hrs.of flights.

I thought I would do a fun thread too. What kind of distance have you flown straight out of the box?
No add ons. My best was 2500ft. Lost sight around 2200 got nervous brought it back. I only have
about 6 hrs.of flights.
You should be getting much more than that. Do you have your antennas oriented properly? Watch the tons of youtube videos on the importance of that. I have a stock P4 and just yesterday flew in three directions from my suburban home in Pennsylvania each of which were over a mile round trip (3.25 miles total) and landed with 40% battery. My personal record with the P4 is a little over 6 miles with 25% battery left. I have a set of windsurfer antenna boosters which I'm going to try out next weekend since the weather is going to be crap the next few days:( that should give me a substantial increase in distance. Send me an invite into a conversation if you like;).

Over 7 mi round trip with Inspire radio model C.

You should be getting much more than that. Do you have your antennas oriented properly? Watch the tons of youtube videos on the importance of that. I have a stock P4 and just yesterday flew in three directions from my suburban home in Pennsylvania each of which were over a mile round trip (3.25 miles total) and landed with 40% battery. My personal record with the P4 is a little over 6 miles with 25% battery left. I have a set of windsurfer antenna boosters which I'm going to try out next weekend since the weather is going to be crap the next few days:( that should give me a substantial increase in distance. Send me an invite into a conversation if you like;).
I think OP said lost sight, not lost signal.
that's why he felt nervous and bring the quad back, not failsafe RTH.

Sent from my SCL23 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Last edited:
about 6 hrs.of flights.
I have a stock P4 and my best round trip distance is 6.9 miles. My home point was 250' above the ground on a hillside with 10% battery left when I landed. The flight took 17 minutes.

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
I can't remember exact distances but i think i was about a hair over 3 miles distant. I'm only getting a little over a half mile more now with my windsurfers on my long distance runs since I do all of my flying in P Mode.

Great thread. I think this makes more sense in real world testing than the highly modified distance flight polls or leaderboard. The average person is simply gonna open the box, update the software, and go for a flight. How many are actually going to heavily modify their system just go go for a distance mark? I think those are great as well but they do not represent the real world in my opinion. I think a board with modified distance, non-modified distance and maybe round-trip distance would be a better way to compile statistics.

So, I'm curious, when you go out that far, do you go in Sport mode and fast as you can or just in P mode and fast also?

I'm still in the chicken class, hate to lose sight of it and even then with the terrain around here, recovery would be very difficult.

Thanks guys

On my first trip out of town I went to Dunstable Downs (England) and from a hillside got 2km before the first weak signal warning. I have since bought some windsurfers and already seen an increase in range near home but not yet gone back to test them in the same conditions.

So, I'm curious, when you go out that far, do you go in Sport mode and fast as you can or just in P mode and fast also?

I'm still in the chicken class, hate to lose sight of it and even then with the terrain around here, recovery would be very difficult.

Thanks guys
I've read members doing optimum speed/distance tests and they came up with 31mph. Some modify their controller to adjust/hold the throttle at the right mph during the flight.

I've read members doing optimum speed/distance tests and they came up with 31mph. Some modify their controller to adjust/hold the throttle at the right mph during the flight.
I want that ability but I just don't want physical modifications. My ultra cheap and easy way I was going to do this was having a small sponge or cloth put in front of the right stick where it stops it at 31 mph or some other optimal speed. That way, I don't have to constantly deal with having to maintain that certain speed while my concentration is elsewhere.

fiffu i don't under stand what you are saying. I started this just to see what kind of
distance people are flying before they turn around. not what the bird can do.
I seem to get scared around 2000 ft. then turn around. I know the bird will go farther I just get nervous.

Reactions: Peter Galbavy
I have been testing about 30 mph (hard to keep it there) and it will fly a long time. Many of my flights are over 40,000 feet total and I do it in about 17 minutes and land at about 20%.

fiffu i don't under stand what you are saying. I started this just to see what kind of
I seem to get scared around 2000 ft. then turn around. I know the bird will go farther I just get nervous.

Scared is good! Take your time and get to know your bird and all your settings before you take off. Know were you are and understand all the telemetry on your screen. If all your settings are good it will(should) comme(RTH) back if something goes haywire. You will trust your bird with time.

mike drone 7 I don't know if I know how to do a invite. But if you live near phily.
I live near the delaware river .maybe we could hook up someday.

Completely stock I've gone over 20,000' ft one way and with windsurfers I've gone 25,000' one way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers