Distance limit with P3A and DJI GO

Reaction score
I'm suddenly limited to under half a mile. Previously I've flown out a little over a mile. I haven't upgraded DJI GO or changed any settings. Is it possible the app auto upgraded and I'm now stuck with the distance limit. If so, that sucks. I would usually lose video feed but was still able to fly safely with the map/compass screen. I've been through the archieves but most of that is postings from a year ago. Thanks in advance for any help.

What exactly happens when you reach the limit?

I don't think any thing has changed drastically except NFZ zones were imposed through last 3 DJI go App releases. Are you living close to an airport? Check b4ufly app to see if you are close to any NFZ.

And why are you saying you got distance limit? Are you seeing any message or just because you are losing video stream? You might lose video stream if you are facing interference from other nearby wifi channels. Move to another location and check back.

I'm not in a NFZ. I get a verbal warning and I'm not able to go further out. I can make lateral movements or return and fly the other direction to the same limit. Ill try again and check my limit distance and post it later. It seems to be an odd number around 2,700 ft.

What's that verbal warning?

It sounds like you need to turn off the "MC Settings" --> "Maximum distance" setting in the DJI GO app. Keep in mind that you can only change that setting while the DJI GO app is connected to your Phantom.

I just did a test flight and my distance was limited to 1,640 ft. The max I can set in MC settings is 500 meters. I just did the math and that works out about right. 500 x 3.28 = 1640. But I haven't been limited to that in the past and as far as I know I haven't changed anything. Any ideas on a workaround? I'd like to be able to get out a least a mile which I have before.

Any ideas on a workaround?
Yes. You need to turn off the "MC Settings" --> "Maximum distance" setting. You just confirmed you're using it.

Ahhhhh........ I'm sorry to sound so stupid but how do I accomplish that? To think I've been flying close to a year and I'm still a total idiot. In my defense I've been using Litchi most of the time. I'm going back into the settings menu and see if I can figure it out.

Turn this setting off:

IMG_1669.PNG

Thank you!!!!!!!!! I think I've got the problem solved. I still don't know how the setting got changed. I going to try another test flight soon. I was looking into the spiral antennas. Do they improve both the video signal distance and control distance? Or just one or the other. I really hate loosing my video feed so early into a flight but like I said earlier as long as I have the control signal I'm OK with it.

Good to hear it worked out!

It sounds like you need to turn off the "MC Settings" --> "Maximum distance" setting in the DJI GO app. Keep in mind that you can only change that setting while the DJI GO app is connected to your Phantom.

BINGO! The are no audio warning for signal degradation. You have your max distance capped. I think 500 meters is as far as you can "geofence" it, after that it's no limit.

I am new to this forum, but impressed with the help that members seem happy to share. I was eager to purchase a DJI phantom 3A until I read that distance had been limited to 500m, but this posting from pounder35 seems to dispel this rumor. It was older posts I had read on older on other forms that led me to think this. Can anyone confirm for me that a new phantom 3 with new firmware is still not restricted in this way?
I thank you in advance for any response.

I was eager to purchase a DJI phantom 3A until I read that distance had been limited to 500m, but this posting from pounder35 seems to dispel this rumor.

Can anyone confirm for me that a new phantom 3 with new firmware is still not restricted in this way?
Reading forums you find posts by lots of people that are mistaken and misinformed.
The Phantom 3 has never had it's range restricted except by the physical limitations of radio technology and in the right environment it can fly much further than you'll ever need it to.

thanks for your reply, I think I will like it here, and will move forward with buying that p3a.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31