Distance, distance,distance...Doing research and design

Parrot Disco with an upgraded battery will do at least 60Km. It can also be configured to fly over 4G fairly easily with very little latency. One heck of a bird if you ask me. Anyway, 34-45Km you need a wing, not a drone.

I think youre right, any suggestions? I've been going through several, several sites looking at all the fixed wings and WHOA! what a selection in this wild crazy world of UAV fixed wing. Really, all we need is a linear approx 8 miles (max) with the ability to fly back to the launch area..if possible.

You may want to contact these folks --- 175 minute flight time and 50+ mile range !! :p

The manual control range appears to be limited to control from a chase crew on a yacht following behind, rather than from a static point. While they can stay aloft that long, they are still tethered to a nearby chase crew, unless I missed something in the translation (heavy accents). :cool:

Here is a screenshot from a stock distance test today. Ordered some windsurfers and ill try that... I may need to contact titan drones also! Thanks
Either was windy or went out in sport mode? Start the test later in that battery ?? Usually in p mode i can be out between 18 to 20,000 ft with 66 % left...that is if i start with 100% and cruise straight out.

Reactions: Rohanm
Either was windy or went out in sport mode? Start the test later in that battery ?? Usually in p mode i can be out between 18 to 20,000 ft with 66 % left...that is if i start with 100% and cruise straight out.
I turned at 65, will try 60 next time - no wish to lose it in the water though

Last edited:
Screenshot_20180710-200919.png
6754.4 metres or 22,160 feet outbound and 13.51 km / 8.39 miles return - landed with 8% - won't seek to best this

I think youre right, any suggestions? I've been going through several, several sites looking at all the fixed wings and WHOA! what a selection in this wild crazy world of UAV fixed wing. Really, all we need is a linear approx 8 miles (max) with the ability to fly back to the launch area..if possible.
I'm confused. In your original post, you stated you only needed a 4 to 5 mile range, which is easily doable with an off the shelf P4P in Auto 5.8 Ghz with clear LOS, which you obviously have. Round trips are also included with the stock P4P battery and no mods, with a flight time of 23 minutes at 30mph, resulting in 55,000 feet per flight to 10% battery (or just under). I have hundreds of such flights on the P4P. You would be far better off with the lightweight P4P stock setup than all the necessary "Star Wars" gear needed to do this with modded P4's. Been there. Done that! Trust me. Sell your P4’s and buy off the shelf P4P's, which are now available brand new for $1230, if you shop around. Amazon has a few sellers at that price now. You can thank me later. The upgrade in video quality alone is worth the upgrade! The extra range was a free bonus! :cool:

Reactions: Rohanm
If the OP did decide to go the fixed wing route, how would he even land upon return? You pretty much need a large smooth flat area to land those things don't you?

I'm confused. In your original post, you stated you only needed a 4 to 5 mile range, which is easily doable with an off the shelf P4P in Auto 5.8 Ghz with clear LOS, which you obviously have. Round trips are also included with the stock P4P battery and no mods, with a flight time of 23 minutes at 30mph, resulting in 55,000 feet per flight to 10% battery (or just under). I have hundreds of such flights on the P4P. You would be far better off with the lightweight P4P stock setup than all the necessary "Star Wars" gear needed to do this with modded P4's. Been there. Done that! Trust me. Sell your P4’s and buy off the shelf P4P's, which are now available brand new for $1230, if you shop around. Amazon has a few sellers at that price now. You can thank me later. The upgrade in video quality alone is worth the upgrade! The extra range was a free bonus! :cool:
Thanks!

If the OP did decide to go the fixed wing route, how would he even land upon return? You pretty much need a large smooth flat area to land those things don't you?
Indeed, although one could perhaps catch it in a net of some sort, suspended below the tower. P4P is a far better choice!

So Ive done some searching in the forum and Ive found some decent examples and explanations, but here is what we are looking to do on our 8000 private acres..

We have an old forest fire tower we want to convert into a drone launch/control. We have several P4 drone that we want to use for the project. We need to get about 4-5 miles. The tower is easily about 250 ft above any other object on the property (it is set on top of a mountain), so line of sight is no hurdle.

Question: what is your method for obtaining the 34k-45k ft horizontal flight distance? How can I find the directions and/or information to obtain this distance ourselves?

Granted, we are staying below 400 ft and using spotters with FAA licensed pilots.

Thanks
Brady

Provided you get good winds, doable!

That one was a P4P (not mine, found it on the linked forum), returned with 30% battery! I suspect altitude (=signal quality) also contributes to the range, weak signal probably forces the chipset to work more.

Another P4P here, approx. 19'000 ft or 3NMiles and back (total 38'000 feet), returned with 40% battery, means 10% battery gets you a bit more than a nautical mile (appr. 1.05):

Right, that M2 you quoted depleted completely and beyond at 71'000 ft or ~11.8NM, means 10% battery gives you 1.2NM. It does look better, but the difference is small, it should be a head-to-head comparison with the same wind conditions to announce a winner.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl