Distance before drone disconnects

Reaction score
Simple question .....is 500 metres about the distance when my/your phantom start too lose signal and return to home kicks in....
I've got the Advanced so should be going mile before it starts too struggle but mine seems too struggle after 500 too 550 metres..
I'm out in the open, clear day nothing in my way so what's going on??

is there a lot of trees

Make certain the antennas are correctly oriented.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Are you in the US or somewhere with CE regs?

Are you in the US or somewhere with CE regs?
What does this have to do with losing signal? Does the Phantom land according to regs? I'm confused.

What does this have to do with losing signal? Does the Phantom land according to regs? I'm confused.

In the US the FCC allows the higher-powered radio transmission than in other parts of the world.

Reactions: Tony Cowan
you cant change from ce to fcc

Getting back to the OP's question, if he indeed has a clear line of sight and he has his antennas properly pointed in the direction of the quad, then starting to lose signal at less than 2000 feet is pretty anemic. Question is, what is making it happen?

Getting back to the OP's question, if he indeed has a clear line of sight and he has his antennas properly pointed in the direction of the quad, then starting to lose signal at less than 2000 feet is pretty anemic. Question is, what is making it happen?

Good question. I live in a metropolis and it has microwave antenna tree's all over the place, everybody has wifi, airports, heliports, police, etc., etc., etc. I was unable to fly past 1500 ft prox. Very disappointing. I bought a fpvlr antenna system with boosters and now have a much better range. I haven't tested it too far yet as I just got it up and running. The massive signal populous and the surrounding cities, airports etc. is what I attributed to my lack of distance. How does one go about determining the reason for poor distance?

In the US the FCC allows the higher-powered radio transmission than in other parts of the world.
Ok.. I will play.

So do they make different versions of the Phantom that is only sold in the US. I really don't think they do but I'm open to hearing what difference the regs and location have on the capability of our Phantom 3's. I think there is no difference.

So do they make different versions of the Phantom that is only sold in the US. I really don't think they do but I'm open to hearing what difference the regs and location have on the capability of our Phantom 3's. I think there is no difference.
There is no difference but the Phantom sets itself to FCC or CE mode based on the GPS location.
But ... this makes only a small difference to the range and many European flyers manage respectable long range flights.

I live in a metropolis and it has microwave antenna tree's all over the place, everybody has wifi, airports, heliports, police, etc., etc., etc. I was unable to fly past 1500 ft approx. ... How does one go about determining the reason for poor distance?
Urban areas always have a lot of interference that eats your range.
Go for a drive to the sea or a rural area and see how it goes there ... it could easily be 10 times more.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Simple question .....is 500 metres about the distance when my/your phantom start too lose signal and return to home kicks in....
I've got the Advanced so should be going mile before it starts too struggle but mine seems too struggle after 500 too 550 metres..
I'm out in the open, clear day nothing in my way so what's going on??
If you are using a Pro or Advanced and have your antennas oriented correctly, you should get much greater range in a non-urban area.

How high are you flying. Height become more important with distance to ensure a clear signal path. You don't need much in the way to cause issues. Also, the greater your altitude the less effect other RF source will have at the phantom end (better signal to noise ration with height).

When flying distance, I usually fly between 200 - 250ft. But, this particular area still is laden with interference. That's why I got the fpvlr Antenna with boosters. I have gone to the beach (before my new antenna), and have traveled further, but not so much more that I was happy with it before losing signal. I will be testing my distance traveled and watching the distance meter more too. You're right, height is a better way of flying without interference.

fly 400 feet you will get better range

Flying with plenty of hight nothing in the way trees etc etc ...out in the countryside on a hill still around 500 metres it starts too flicker ..what sort of metres everyone else getting be four this happens love too know .

I have done over 10,000 feet or about 1.86 miles distance with a CE approved set. P3 Pro totally standard.
Even in a built up area with loads of wifi I have reached 1.66 miles. Maybe it helps but I am still on 1.19 firmware.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4