Dissertation HELP!

Reaction score
Evening all,

I'm not entirely sure this is the correct place to seek help but i'm going to give it a go..!

I am a 4th year engineering student and i am investigating drone ingestion testing on jet engines.

I don't physically own a DJI Phantom 4 Pro, but i need some dimensions if anyone would be so kind to help or advise!

Basically, i need the dimensions of the main body, width, length and height (not including legs), as highlighted in red below. My idea is to cut off the arms to make it a more compact projectile and therefore easier to launch, my only problem is i cant take those dimensions as i do not have access to a drone.

upload_2017-3-24_18-21-30.png

Also, if anyone would be able to post a photo of a 'birds-eye' view of the drone that would be great, obviously i will reference any photos or information provided.

Thanks in advance.

Ryan.

I am really surprised that you are doing a project without even seeing a P4P. Do these projects really make any sense or are just for publishing "some" theoretical findings on paper?

To answer your question, both.

I am a part-time student and I work for a large Turbo Fan Engine manufacturer here in the UK so it is a subject and a test that will be coming towards us very soon i believe, hence why i have chosen this as a topic i thought would be both of interest to me and to the company. It's something i am really interested in, and something that we will be doing in 1-2 years time so why not investigate it now as a project for my Final Year Project.

Got your point.

Basically, i need the dimensions of the main body, width, length and height (not including legs), as highlighted in red below.
125 x 100 x 80 mm (not counting the camera/gimbal)

I'd ask about removing the arms as that also removes the motors which would account for the most steel in the Phantom.
Here's a quick photo of the topside: Phantom 4 pro - Above & Beyond Photography
Click the download icon in the lower right if you want to use it

125 x 100 x 80 mm (not counting the camera/gimbal)

I'd ask about removing the arms as that also removes the motors which would account for the most steel in the Phantom.
Here's a quick photo of the topside: Phantom 4 pro - Above & Beyond Photography
Click the download icon in the lower right if you want to use it

Hi,

Thanks that's brilliant and really helpful!

The reason for removing the arms is that i am most interested in the effect that the Battery may have upon impact with the fan. It would also be really difficult to try to launch the drone towards the engine in its 'hovering' state, as the drag/ air resistance on the arms and rotors would cause the drone to tumble. So the best method of ensuring the main body or the drone is shot in a straight line and sticks to its path would be to make it as aerodynamic as possible, which in this case i believe would be best achieved by removing the arms.

Thanks for your help, it's much appreciated!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BobDan