Dissapointment

Reaction score
Hi All, First time user & brand new to this hobby, thought I'd check out a forum & hopefully pick up some great pointers before my new PH4 arrives in the mail.
Gotta say my excitement & anticipation to receive my first proper UAV has turned into disappointment & regret & I haven't even flown the thing yet let alone opened the box.
Mostly negativity, problems with software, android compatibility issues, lack of range, DJI go's app etc the list goes on & on :/
I thought I'd be hearing all about how great this craft & company is, hence why I went all out & purchased what I thought is the best one I could afford.
I've haven't even spent an hour scrolling through the articles & comments on here & to say I'm a bit concerned about my recent purchase is an understatement.
Can someone please tell me I have the wrong impression of the DJI 4???
I purchased this thing to film & take photo's of my local beaches & national parks & to film my family enjoying all of these, we do a bit of 4x4 as well.
I purchased a new $400 Samsung 8" tablet for the display as well thinking I wouldn't cut any corners in that area as well.
At the moment it seems I have made two rather large mistakes : (

Welcome to the Internet. This is the place people come when they are having problems. That explains why you're see so many issues being discussed here. People don't come as often to share their praises. I guess they're too busy out flying ;)

Your second sentence says it all... you just have regular ole 'buyer's remorse'.

On the other hand some folks are going crazy waiting for their DJI Mavic.
Most are not first-time DJI customers either.

Reactions: 1973bro
Hi All, First time user & brand new to this hobby, thought I'd check out a forum & hopefully pick up some great pointers before my new PH4 arrives in the mail.
Gotta say my excitement & anticipation to receive my first proper UAV has turned into disappointment & regret & I haven't even flown the thing yet let alone opened the box.
Mostly negativity, problems with software, android compatibility issues, lack of range, DJI go's app etc the list goes on & on :/
I thought I'd be hearing all about how great this craft & company is, hence why I went all out & purchased what I thought is the best one I could afford.
I've haven't even spent an hour scrolling through the articles & comments on here & to say I'm a bit concerned about my recent purchase is an understatement.
Can someone please tell me I have the wrong impression of the DJI 4???
I purchased this thing to film & take photo's of my local beaches & national parks & to film my family enjoying all of these, we do a bit of 4x4 as well.
I purchased a new $400 Samsung 8" tablet for the display as well thinking I wouldn't cut any corners in that area as well.
At the moment it seems I have made two rather large mistakes : (
You'll get over it the first time the Phantom takes to the air. I bought a P3S in early August and have flown it every day since (weather permitting). Using a cheapo depot tablet too. Great pictures, lots of sunsets, lots of fun. You might want to rethink flying it in national parks though. That's frowned upon now. Don't forget to register with the FAA before taking to the skies.

Hey Bro,

Don't get down on all the negative post. They are from a few folks having problems. Educate yourself on what most people do wrong. Read the manual and go have a blast with this incredible piece of technology. There are some really good videos on youtube to help with the software stuff. I was a bit overwhelmed before I went through but it actually is pretty easy. Look at all the fantastic videos and pictures posted here and on youtube. Those are the positive posts which completely out weight the negative one by far. Check out B4UFLY app to see where you can't fly. National Parks are one.
Take it slow and be prepared to get hooked.

Peace

Jeez, the Phantom 4 has exceeded my every expectation. I was shocked at the technology leap compared to the Phantom 2V+ that I've been flying for 2 years. You don't specify exactly what your concerns are, but I'm surprised that you saw mostly negativity. I can only assume that you've been reading the raving speculative enthusiasm for the yet-to-be-released, not-consumer-available, untested Mavic. The GO app is OK, but I vastly prefer Litchi and that's pretty much all I fly. Negativity? Problems? Software issues? Dude, I'm sorry but I just don't see those things. My Phantom 4 has had no software or hardware issues, no range issues, nothing. I can't comment about Android problems since I only use iOS devices and they work fine.

Either way, your choices are to send your Phantom back for a refund because of all these horrendous problems you've been reading about (WTF?) and not get a drone at all, or you can wait a month or so and get a Mavic, and hope that that brand new form-factor with that brand-new hardware/firmware, new motors, new camera, new video downlink, new transmitter system, new everything will be perfect from the very first one sold.

HAH! Fat chance.

I had a issue with my P4 but exchanged it and my new one has been perfect. I bought my wife a P4 which has over 9 hours of flight time on hers with no issues ever. The p4 is awesome!

I've been flying multirotors for four years.. This year was my first with DJI and with the Phantom.

It's really amazing. I'm approaching 200 flights with 38 hrs logged in the air and I've enjoyed every one of them

Hi 1973bro. A very hardy welcome to this wonderful hobby. It is one of the most interesting hobbies that I have ever pursued, and I am so happy that I did.

As mentioned above by an astute poster, this forum - and others like it - is a powerful resource for folks who have questions, concerns, observations, and other thoughts regarding this hobby, and yes, many of the posts here would indicate that this is a product that is fraught with some serious problems.

If however, everybody that had a great day of flying with their copter posted positive details about their sessions, the postings from folks looking for help and assistance would be so quickly a part of yesterday, that they would probably not be responded to. This is a global forum, representing I don't even know how many DJI copters/users, and the fact is, the percentage of problems is very small compared to the percentage of folks using these copters every day without any difficulties.

Will you have issues and challenges? Yes you will. Will the process of working through these issues and challenges be a rewarding part of this hobby? Absolutely. Is it worth it? You bet it is. This is an industry that is in its very early stages, and it is not perfect. There are a lot of moving parts. You should be looking forward to the day that your copter arrives, and when it does, take your time, set it up properly and carefully, and between now and then, search out YouTube for vids that will prepare you for Day 1. If you do have issues, post your questions here, and they will be answered in a timely fashion by folks who know and can help. They have been there, and they are ready and willing to help you get your copter in the air for all that you want it to be.

Welcome to the Internet. This is the place people come when they are having problems. That explains why you're see so many issues being discussed here. People don't come as often to share their praises. I guess they're too busy out flying ;)

Thanks for putting a bit of perspective to it.
I was surprised be confronted with so many people having problems or issues of some description I thought what have I got myself into.
I shouldn't buy into all the negative stuff too much I guess.
Thanks for the advise.

Your second sentence says it all... you just have regular ole 'buyer's remorse'.

On the other hand some folks are going crazy waiting for their DJI Mavic.
Most are not first-time DJI customers either.

Probably just feeling a bit overwhelmed by how many people were having problems.
Going to try & find the more positive stuff & educate myself as much as possible.
Have had plenty of supportive replies to my initial post by people out there enjoying their's so I'm encouraged by that.

Reactions: JohnnyB
You'll get over it the first time the Phantom takes to the air. I bought a P3S in early August and have flown it every day since (weather permitting). Using a cheapo depot tablet too. Great pictures, lots of sunsets, lots of fun. You might want to rethink flying it in national parks though. That's frowned upon now. Don't forget to register with the FAA before taking to the skies.

Sure am looking forward to the first time & hopefully am able to capture some great footage to post as well.
Wish me luck & thanks for the positive feedback of your experience.

Hey Bro,

Don't get down on all the negative post. They are from a few folks having problems. Educate yourself on what most people do wrong. Read the manual and go have a blast with this incredible piece of technology. There are some really good videos on youtube to help with the software stuff. I was a bit overwhelmed before I went through but it actually is pretty easy. Look at all the fantastic videos and pictures posted here and on youtube. Those are the positive posts which completely out weight the negative one by far. Check out B4UFLY app to see where you can't fly. National Parks are one.
Take it slow and be prepared to get hooked.

Peace

Nice to hear your great advise!
It is a bit daunting I guess for a first time user, but I am looking forward to it, I'll be studying the manual for sure & hopefully try & learn from others mistakes.
Surely I will make some of my own as well!
I live in Australia, pretty sure we can still fly in National parks over here, but I'd better confirm that.
Can't think why would they stop you?

I had a issue with my P4 but exchanged it and my new one has been perfect. I bought my wife a P4 which has over 9 hours of flight time on hers with no issues ever. The p4 is awesome!

Nice positive experience for you & your wife, glad to hear that!

Hey 1973bro, not much I can say that hasn't already been said here but I would like to add that being a very patient newbie, I done exactly what these good folks said which was I read up on the manual and forums , and hit YouTube hard before I received my P4. If you'll notice the problems that most people have seriously are caused by the user, not the phantom itself. If you'll just take your time as I did, pay attention to these post learning what "not" to do, it will be a rewarding experience. Granted I only have 6 hours on mine, they have been flawless from the get go. I am just a little torn about the new Mavic coming out just after my purchase of the P4 but after all the reading of the good folks here in this forum I've come to realize the both the phantom series and the Mavic really have their own place in the drone world. It's really going to depend in user preference. Don't regret your purchase.. It's a great craft. For me, after the bugs are worked out I've decided the Mavic will be a nice addition, instead of a replacement, to my new hobby. I have plans for both. If mistakes are made, it will probably be yours and not the craft, in my opinion. I say that as I'm pretty OCD about "getting it right". And that has lead to problem free flying!
So glad to see you here reading up! Welcome bro! These folks here in this forum are very intelligent! I can't say that enough! They are here to help if you do have problems. Good luck to ya bro! I'm hooked and you will be too!

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention, (me living in the US) you may be surprised how many parks will let you fly if you ask first. Good feeling knowing you have permission to do so and a great opportunity for some great footage. Just go by the rules and you'll be fine! Happy flying!

Last edited:
I've been flying multirotors for four years.. This year was my first with DJI and with the Phantom.

It's really amazing. I'm approaching 200 flights with 38 hrs logged in the air and I've enjoyed every one of them

Wow that is some serious air time you've managed to clock up!
Glad to hear of your positive experience,thanks for giving me some hope!! : )

Hi 1973bro. A very hardy welcome to this wonderful hobby. It is one of the most interesting hobbies that I have ever pursued, and I am so happy that I did.

As mentioned above by an astute poster, this forum - and others like it - is a powerful resource for folks who have questions, concerns, observations, and other thoughts regarding this hobby, and yes, many of the posts here would indicate that this is a product that is fraught with some serious problems.

If however, everybody that had a great day of flying with their copter posted positive details about their sessions, the postings from folks looking for help and assistance would be so quickly a part of yesterday, that they would probably not be responded to. This is a global forum, representing I don't even know how many DJI copters/users, and the fact is, the percentage of problems is very small compared to the percentage of folks using these copters every day without any difficulties.

Will you have issues and challenges? Yes you will. Will the process of working through these issues and challenges be a rewarding part of this hobby? Absolutely. Is it worth it? You bet it is. This is an industry that is in its very early stages, and it is not perfect. There are a lot of moving parts. You should be looking forward to the day that your copter arrives, and when it does, take your time, set it up properly and carefully, and between now and then, search out YouTube for vids that will prepare you for Day 1. If you do have issues, post your questions here, and they will be answered in a timely fashion by folks who know and can help. They have been there, and they are ready and willing to help you get your copter in the air for all that you want it to be.

Thanks so much for your reply & input.
Certainly have a lot to learn & I am definitely looking forward to taking part in this hobby!
Nice to hear from someone with experience & some great advise as well.
Much appreciated ; )

Hey 1973bro, not much I can say that hasn't already been said here but I would like to add that being a very patient newbie, I done exactly what these good folks said which was I read up on the manual and forums , and hit YouTube hard before I received my P4. If you'll notice the problems that most people have seriously are caused by the user, not the phantom itself. If you'll just take your time as I did, pay attention to these post learning what "not" to do, it will be a rewarding experience. Granted I only have 6 hours on mine, they have been flawless from the get go. I am just a little torn about the new Mavic coming out just after my purchase of the P4 but after all the reading of the good folks here in this forum I've come to realize the both the phantom series and the Mavic really have their own place in the drone world. It's really going to depend in user preference. Don't regret your purchase.. It's a great craft. For me, after the bugs are worked out I've decided the Mavic will be a nice addition, instead of a replacement, to my new hobby. I have plans for both. If mistakes are made, it will probably be yours and not the craft, in my opinion. I say that as I'm pretty OCD about "getting it right". And that has lead to problem free flying!
So glad to see you here reading up! Welcome bro! These folks here in this forum are very intelligent! I can't say that enough! They are here to help if you do have problems. Good luck to ya bro! I'm hooked and you will be too!

Sent from my XT1096 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Also nice to here from another relative newbie to this hobby & more good advise as well.
I will be very careful with the set up etc & am trying to get as much information & advise from others as possible.
Thanks for taking the time to reply & for your encouragement as well!
Cheers! ; )

Reactions: JohnnyB

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers