Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Display options and the controller

Discussion in 'Mavic Discussion' started by graves14, Sep 28, 2016.

1. graves14

First: I can't seem to find out if the controller alone will allow you to get FPV. Can someone confirm if an additional display (phone, nvidia, etc) is required to see live video?

Second: If I need to purchase a display for FPV, is the preferred display still the nVidia shield? Or is there a better option around the same price point?

Thanks.

Tyler
    P2 owner with Mavic on order

2. Morgon

According to the only info on the Goggles we have (Mavic page: under 'Easy' -> 'See the world like a bird'):

However, unless there are controller-only flights (I haven't seen anyone try or explicitly comment on whether they can connect without a phone), I don't see this as being feasible, unfortunately.

I do have to say that having that compact controller in the hand with only the HMD is a fantastic mental image.

3. graves14

The OcuSync is just for the goggles I thought. I'm more curious if the little display on the controller shows video or just flight stats.

4. Greenenvey

I'm curious too, I'm.afraid my phone may not be compatible, then what do I do

5. Morgon

[​IMG]

6. Morgon

According to Ken on the DJI Forums, you can pilot it without a smartphone, using only the controller. Thus, if the Goggles are connecting directly to the bird, our dreams may be true.

7. kennedye

Based on the way the phone holder is shaped, it must be pairing to the phone via Bluetooth. I'd kind of like a physical connection like the P3/P4 controller just for safety (one less thing to suddenly decide to stop working) but it probably won't be that big a deal. I think most if not all of the iOS/Android devices people use with P3/P4s can do Bluetooth 4.0?

8. TheEdge

I remember seeing a lightning to usb cord in one of the videos, so I would assume that the connection to the remote is wired.

9. Morgon

In several of the preview videos, they explicitly show that it's a Lightning connector (for iPhones) just like the P3/P4. Since most reviewers were using iPhones, it's unknown whether this built-in Lightning connector could be swapped for microUSB, or if you would have to use the generic USB port located on the base of the unit (where the clips fold onto). Either way, the connection between the phone and controller is absolutely wired.

10. sdharris

If you look at 'whats in the box' you'll see a cable for iPhone and a micro USB for Android so the connection is wired between the controller and phone.

11. kennedye

Oh cool, good to hear.

12. hawkeye62

OK, so the phone connects to the controller via micro USB or Lightning. BUT, would my Nvidia Shield K1 fit into the holder?

That would be a must for me.

Regards, Jim

13. kmaluo

No because the K1 is 221mm tall and the the controller will accommodate up to 160mm. I'm sure there will be adapters in the near future.

14. hawkeye62

Thanks for the reply. The K1 is 221 mm x 126 mm. Would the 126 mm "length" fit?

Regards, Jim

15. kmaluo

Yes, but you'll be viewing the video in portrait and not landscape.

16. TheLightSpeedz

The lightening connector is built into the controller. The adapter is for android

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

17. graves14

Thats a bit of a bummer. I've used my dad's P4 with my iphone5, and there's a lot jammed into that little screen. I'm wondering if the controller offloading some of the stats and control will free up more real estate for the video. If I don't have to buy a shield, I'd love to save the $200.

18. kmaluo

Put some velcro on the back of the K1 and the controller arms, then lay the K1 on the arms. Should tide you over until a large display adapter is released.

19. hawkeye62

OK, that wouldn't be so bad for a while. Or, your other suggestion would also be OK for a while.

Best regards, Jim

20. kmaluo

Don't think the DJI Go app can display in portrait view, so you'll be looking at sidewards video. Unless you have a custom rom on your K1 that can force apps into a certain orientation.