Discharging/Cycling Batteries, what do you use?

Reaction score
Wondering what most of you are using for cycling and discharging (for storage) your batteries? If I fly below 50%, I charge back up to 60 to 70% for long term storage. I have to use the Phantom to fly it down to the cycle point of about 8%, this is a real PITA, wondering if there is a after market charger/discharger that will do this without having to use the Phantom.

Thank's John

There are dis chargers on the market for full cycle down to 8% I'm sure I seen them on ebay. I think its about every 50 charges it needs an 8% cycle. And i believe the app now tells you when this is due.. However for storage the batteries are designed to discharge themselves to the ideal level after about 10 days. I believe it's to around 40%.

I have to use the Phantom to fly it down to the cycle point of about 8%, this is a real PITA
Agreed. Perhaps that's one of the reasons DJI no longer recommends the batteries be routinely cycled. There seems to be no benefit unless the cells are really out of balance and you're attempting to balance them.

Wondering what most of you are using for cycling and discharging (for storage) your batteries? If I fly below 50%, I charge back up to 60 to 70% for long term storage. I have to use the Phantom to fly it down to the cycle point of about 8%, this is a real PITA, wondering if there is a after market charger/discharger that will do this without having to use the Phantom.

Thank's John

in all honesty I have 3 batteries and don't do anything special
they selve discharge after 5 days (my setting)
I try to keep one ready to fly and so far after a year all are showing great and work fine

I think the 8% is from the p2 days and maybe early p3 but I haven't done that

Reactions: Quadular
I fly then to discharge and have never bothered with the running down to 8% (best it might have done is calibrated the total capacity reading). %40 to 50% for storage (charge to that point after flying)...

I use a Phantom Angel th discharge the batteries the storage level. It's beautifully made and discharges quickly and efficiently. It has a deep discharge mode too.

I use a Phantom Angel th discharge the batteries the storage level. It's beautifully made and discharges quickly and efficiently. It has a deep discharge mode too.
I used to think this was a good idea- now I just don't understand why I would waste my charge cycles heating up load resistors or light bulbs.

I used to think this was a good idea- now I just don't understand why I would waste my charge cycles heating up load resistors or light bulbs.
Hmmmm, so what about deep discharging; do you bother with that? Your point makes sense though. So do you just let the batteries naturally discharge, then top up the batteries to 2 solid and 1 blinking?

Hmmmm, so what about deep discharging; do you bother with that? Your point makes sense though. So do you just let the batteries naturally discharge, then top up the batteries to 2 solid and 1 blinking?
It seems DJI no longer suggests the deep discharge. I never did it.

I charge close to when I fly and have the auto discharge setting at one day.

Charge to third light blinking after use.

Reactions: Quadular and Numone
Agreed. Perhaps that's one of the reasons DJI no longer recommends the batteries be routinely cycled. There seems to be no benefit unless the cells are really out of balance and you're attempting to balance them.
Thank's Msinger, that is good to know

Numone, yes, after flight I recharge to 2 solid and 1 blinking, (gets me close enuff to ~65%) :)

I wonder... Was there an announcement from DJI stating they have discovered there is no benefit from this action, so it's no longer required, or have they just stopped saying anything on the matter across all their products?

Was there an announcement from DJI stating they have discovered there is no benefit from this action, so it's no longer required, or have they just stopped saying anything on the matter across all their products?
There was no announcement, but that recommendation was removed from all of their manuals. I believe its only purpose was to re-balance the battery cells. Most seem to stay balanced on their own without cycling.

Reactions: Quadular and Numone
There was no announcement, but that recommendation was removed from all of their manuals. I believe its only purpose was to re-balance the battery cells. Most seem to stay balanced on their own without cycling.
I would say it's more likely it was recommended to allow the smart board to more accurately determine the available mah capacity of the pack and provide for an accurate depiction of available flight time. With any LiION cell however the deeper you discharge the less cycles you get. The two packs I did follow the recommendation with have proved to be the worst performing I have owned.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen