Discharging battery

Reaction score
When should i discharge my battery? I would normally fly then after its nearly dead take it out and leave it to cool then fully charge it after.. But what is the discharging for?

LiPo battery are not happy if stored for long time at full charge, that will short battery life. Better to keep them at 50-60% for long time storage. If you are not using P3 for more than a week discharge them to 50%. In the DJI App you can set # days before autodischarge will occur.

Okay so if i was using my phantom every day its ok? I only discharge when i plan to not use the battery for long periods?

Sure , use/fly everyday.

Allow it to cool between flights.
It has an internal sensor to determine if it's too hot and will hold-off charging until it cools appropriately.

As mentioned store at 50-60% never full or empty.

LiPo battery are not happy if stored for long time at full charge, that will short battery life. Better to keep them at 50-60% for long time storage. If you are not using P3 for more than a week discharge them to 50%. In the DJI App you can set # days before autodischarge will occur.
How do I set the # days before auto discharge. OTOH I see post about sync logs, check flight data. NHow is that done on the P3?

In this moment I can't post an image and I go with memory, but you find that option under battery icon on the setting menu (upper right four dots). When in the battery options (it shows battery status, cells Voltage etc.), in the low part of the screen you see " Time to discharge: 10 days" (DJI default).

In this moment I can't post an image and I go with memory, but you find that option under battery icon on the setting menu (upper right four dots). When in the battery options (it shows battery status, cells Voltage etc.), in the low part of the screen you see " Time to discharge: 10 days" (DJI default).

Oh... I thought it was some sort of count down and that when it reached 0 I should discharge the battery.
So the battery will store the value given here and discharge e.g. 10 days from when it was last used?

I'd better RTFM a bit more

Yess right!
I really don't know if this parameter is stored in the battery or aircraft send to battery each time you switch it on.

When should i discharge my battery? I would normally fly then after its nearly dead take it out and leave it to cool then fully charge it after.. But what is the discharging for?
I hope you aren't running the battery ... Dead. If you aren't familiar with lipo battery care..better start studying or your battery will be dead permanently

Can I ask whilst on the subject of the battery. New batteries.... I have two that haven't been used yet brand new what is the best way to break them in? Fully charge them then Run them down to 50% let them cool before recharging and do this maybe 10 times before there fully "conditioned" ???

So if I have discharge set to 10 days.. on the 10th day my batteries will automatically discharge even when they are stored in my bag?

No they slowly discharge to a safe level gradually over the 10 days
On day 10 they will start to discharge to 65% (which could take two days). Keep them in a well-ventilated area as they may get hot. Not in a bag, your case, etc - but well ventilated area.

One thing to add about the auto discharge feature is that it apparently will reset the timer when checking the state of charge by pressing the button. This could prevent the discharge process from ever starting..

I have yet to have the auto discharge work at all and is not a good thing to even relay on for properly discharging the battery's and should be done on your own so you don't have to trust dji to not ruin your expensive battery's that they will gladly sell you a new one if you kill it.

One thing to add about the auto discharge feature is that it apparently will reset the timer when checking the state of charge by pressing the button. This could prevent the discharge process from ever starting..

Ok, so maybe this is why mine have never discharged. I probably need to set the discharge time to like 3 days or something.

Can I ask whilst on the subject of the battery. New batteries.... I have two that haven't been used yet brand new what is the best way to break them in? Fully charge them then Run them down to 50% let them cool before recharging and do this maybe 10 times before there fully "conditioned" ???

That's correct, and after twenty charges, take them down to 8% and charge back to 100%. Cycling the batteries will give them longer life, and longer flight times over all, as well.

RedHotPoker

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4