Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Disaster!

Discussion in 'Phantom 2 Vision Discussion' started by Bmachine, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Bmachine

I've had my PV2 for just 3 days. It is as it came out of the box (except for the DJI prop guards).

After 4 perfect problem free flights, in the middle of the fifth one, as the craft was hovering in place at about 360 ft it suddenly started to shake and vibrate. None of the controls worked anymore and it dropped like a stone. Landed in 2 feet of water. By the time I got to it, the battery had shorted and it was done for.

I was too busy trying to get any control to have any kind of effect (including pushing the Up paddle all the way as I had read on this board) to see if there was a battery message on the iPhone. All I know is that after it crashed when I checked, there was a "connection was lost " message.

It had all the software that came with it in the box. Since I am on a Mac I could not do any soft or firmware updates.

Extremely disheartening. Good thing it was a relatively deserted area and no one was under it! I remember reading elsewhere (in the Battery warning thread perhaps) about someone else having a similar experience. Will be hard to regain confidence in it after this.

2. Sidewinder

That's scary ... and disheartening.

3. Pull_Up

That's bad luck, I'm sorry.

"Shake...vibrate...drop like a stone" would seem to imply a problem with one or more props/motors initially then some form of power failure (both linked) rather than control interference or typical flyaway?

4. urgno

exactly same happened to me :cry:
    still waiting for a replacement from dealer ...

5. urgno

who know ... two weeks waiting ... in Italy we need a lot of patience :roll:

6. Petersgeorgio

I think you should definitely claim a brand new PV.
    Do write an email to DJI

I would also be afraid to fly again under these conditions.
    Feel sorry for you, good luck mate

7. uncle fester

wanna sell me ure camera plug wire?

8. Pull_Up

Ouch! Nothing like a bit of empathy, eh?!

9. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Kind of akin to "He's dead??? What kind of watch is he wearing?" :shock:

-slinger

10. Drone7

Call your insurance company. Mine payed everything back! But i wouldn't think about it if nobody would give me the tip so maybe it helps you!
    And buy a new one :) Good nobody got hurt!

I had the same problem with another multirotor so i can not help you with the next step but with mine it was the compass with the problem (not Naza!).

11. flyshasta

What insurance company paid everything? Sounds hopeful! Are you in the United States? Thank you!

12. Bmachine

Thanks for the compassion guys.

Very hard to tell what happened. But interesting to see that it has indeed happened to several other people also.

The weird thing is how sudden it was. Perfectly nice smooth flight for 3 minutes, then I let it hover for a couple of seconds to check the altitude. It reads 364 feet. OK, let's bring it down a little. And all of a sudden it just goes bezerk, nothing works anymore and it plunges onto the rocky shore. Wild guesses:

- The cpu had a malfunction and couldn't remember how to control the craft.
    - A rotor died and it threw the craft out of balance. But then, when I pushed the UP lever all the way as some people have suggested, I should have heard the rpm increase. But it wouldn't receive any input from the controller.
    - It lost power temporarily and it didn't have time to reboot properly?

I bought it through Amazon so I sent it back as "Defective unit".

As I said, I love the Vision but now I am really hesitant to get another one. Not for the material issue but what if it falls and hurts somebody? Nightmare scenario.

Is there a more reliable unit out there? Unfortunately, this is one of those cases where even just a 1 % failure probability is too dangerous to risk if there are people around.

13. Sidewinder

Not sure about this but you said you begin to descend and it failed.

Don't know if this will happen in flight but if you bring the throttle all the way back and hold it closed ... that shuts down the motors. I'm not that familiar with the phantom as this is my first but do you think this is possible. Closed throttle for several seconds and motors stop. That's what it sounds like to me as a possibility.

14. Bmachine

I am quite familiar with the way to shut down the props. And this is definitely not what happened. You'd have to try real hard (or be real stupid) to do that while the craft is hovering 300+ ft above ground... ;-)

No, the motors were definitely still going all the way to the bottom. So much so that when it hit the water, the props touched the water and started to spray all over the place and that flipped the whole thing upside down... It was like a fish that just got pulled out the water and is flipping like crazy on the deck.

15. Petersgeorgio

any news from dealer?

16. iDrone

@BMachine - Question: Did it "drop" or did it "flip? (As in multiple flips possibly in combination w/spins)

iDrone

17. UAVInsurance

Mine did exactly the same thing except on the first flight.

My thread is here: viewtopic.php?f=7&t=4269&p=30086#p30086

After 10 minutes of perfect fun flight, the aircraft was in a slow descent to land and suddenly started oscillating and then dropped like a rock onto asphalt.

I contacted DJI and the seller Koozam and now waiting to hear.

Terry

18. Drone7

I live in The Netherlands, Europe and the insurance company is www.nn.nl and ING is the owner of it.
    I had to pay 100 euro own risk but that was fine for me :)

19. Bmachine

It dropped. It was vibrating wildly but it stayed right side up the whole descent until it hit the water. Then when the props hit the water it made it flip.

20. James Cole

OK... I might know what the problem is...

Two days ago I tried to fly my pv... Day was too windy, I landed safely and went home... When I returned home having a full charge I wanted to do a "engine vibration test" reason for this is that I have a set of T-motors ready to install and would like to know if they are indeed smoother than stock when I install them...

So to do this test I took off the props and ran the motors at different speeds... But something strange happened twice... Motor number four (battery facing you motor on your right) when testing made a loud rattle noise slowed down and powered up again... This happened twice... I tried to make a video after the second rattle but the incident did not repeat itself...

Next day I made a full successfull flight no issues to report...

Could this be the issue you guys are talking about?

JC