Disaster struck today - drone fell from sky

rickasaurus said:
No, what you say applies to the other method of stopping the motors, pulling the stick down and holding until the motors stop - the motors won't stop while descending. But the CSC will stop the motors, at any time, including in the air.

Are you sure about this? Not something I want to test. :D

The motors shut down when the throttle stick is down and the Phantom does not see altitude change for three seconds.

SteveMann said:
The motors shut down when the throttle stick is down and the Phantom does not see altitude change for three seconds.

I understand that, but that's not what I am talking about. I am talking when you have both sticks down and to the inside.

johncocci said:
I understand that, but that's not what I am talking about. I am talking when you have both sticks down and to the inside.
That is the CSC position - the same one you use to start your Phantom.
It will cut the motors anytime but simply holding the left stick down only stops the motors when the Phantom senses that it has stopped descending for two seconds - ie it has landed.

Meta4 said:
johncocci said:
That is the CSC position - the same one you use to start your Phantom.
It will cut the motors anytime but simply holding the left stick down only stops the motors when the Phantom senses that it has stopped descending for two seconds - ie it has landed.

Again I am aware of what the CSC is, but again not what I was asking. I was under the impression that CSC doesn't work until it has landed. So that isn;t the case? I have read in a number of there forums that it does;t work while flying?

The CSC does work when flying. There are sone youtube videos to proove.

holding the left stick down however does not work while flying.

I know this has been said a number of times, but it's worth saying it again...

CSC should only be used in two cases:

1) To turn on the motors.
2) In an emergency when you're flying in the air and you need to cut the motors and drop your Phantom like a rock. Perhaps to prevent it from crashing into something/someone.

There is no other time CSC should be used. Period.

msinger said:
I know this has been said a number of times, but it's worth saying it again...

CSC should only be used in two cases:

1) To turn on the motors.
2) In an emergency when you're flying in the air and you need to cut the motors and drop your Phantom like a rock. Perhaps to prevent it from crashing into something/someone.

There is no other time CSC should be used. Period.

Why would you not use both sticks after landing? I remember seeing you say to someone why maybe 4-6 weeks ago but I forgot the reasoning. It caught my attention because I had always used both sticks. But since seeing something about using just the left stick, that is how I have been shutting down the motors....and not really like doing it that away either. I find when using the left stick only, in most cases the quad wants to go into a tip over. It never has tipped over, but gives the feeling it might. And then...it take 3-4 times longer to shut the motors down.

I don't know for sure if the question someone is asking about shutting the motors down while flying, or descending, but just as msinger is mentioning...the motors can be shut down at any point in the sky, and restarted. I must say though, this is something you would never do under a 400ft altitude. I have never attempted it, I have seen it being done on video at a MUCH much higher altitude, but I really don't think you could do it successfully if starting at 400ft.

Tonight I just happen to look at some data for the 1st time on the GPS Plug issue, and not knowing this until tonight my quad reached 68mph in 4-5 seconds as it was falling from the sky. It would have continued gaining speed but I had re engaged the S1 GPS Mode at that point. Btw, it was the Vertical Speed feature I used in order to see that data. I'm trying to get this feature added to the flight logger on the Flytrex products now. I haven't gotten a response yet about it.

I never use the CSC to shut down after landing, because it often made the bird unstable and potentially tip over. I like the left stick down method because it does not introduce any instability.

It seems a bit weird writing this, because for me it is the right stick! - I use Mode 1 :)

Yeah I completely agree about left stick down vs CSC.
Never had any issues or anything close to an issue with left down (or right down in your case)...always stable.. as all its doing its shutting off motors.

With CSC its unstable and can easily cause tip overs, as you've mentioned.. If not done 100% precisely it wants to jump/fall backwards... the rear baasically keels over :/
I say 100% because I can start it up first go and don't have any complications.. but doing the CSC when the motors are running is another story.

rickasaurus said:
I never use the CSC to shut down after landing, because it often made the bird unstable and potentially tip over. I like the left stick down method because it does not introduce any instability.

It seems a bit weird writing this, because for me it is the right stick! - I use Mode 1 :)

flyNfrank said:
Why would you not use both sticks after landing?
If you do not do it cleanly, it could cause the Phantom to tip over. So, instead of chancing it, left stick down is safest. I've never seen the left stick down cause any instability.

Just to be clear there is no way I did a CSC. It would be completely stupid to try that while the drone is on its way back home after an uneventful flight.

Here is the scene where it crashed:

2u76jon.jpg

The vortex ring state theory is interesting but I was descending no faster than usual (full down throttle), the motors cut off and also it did not wobble before it fell. The rotors just stopped and it fell like a rock.

quadroger said:
Welcome to the club.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aQPejbm6I0
Same happened to me. DJI offered me to repair the camera and the battery. Unfortunately the offer was higher than new parts on the market.

Starting to watch your video now. Scary stuff. Assuming Amazon refunds me and I buy another P2V+ I am going to ALWAYS record the flights on my smartphone just in case something ever happens again. I have downloaded an app called "recordable" that records everything on my phone. I don't often use video as I'm more interested in photos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQjnfm5BGPQ

Near the beginning you see the drone, video'd from the ground, rise up then just fall. The part at the end of the video where the drone shuts down and falls to the ground almost hitting a guy reminds me very much of what happened to mine. Watch how fast it drops!

This is one of the scariest videos to watch if you are a Phantom owner. Should be required viewing for overconfident pilots.

msinger said:
flyNfrank said:
Why would you not use both sticks after landing?
If you do not do it cleanly, it could cause the Phantom to tip over. So, instead of chancing it, left stick down is safest. I've never seen the left stick down cause any instability.

That's weird. It's like it is completely opposite for me on what you and a few others have posted. When I use only the left stick, at the point in which I move the stick down it raises the rpm's to the point in which the quad begins to lean and usually moves. The rpm's will then begin to slow down, but overall it takes 3-4 times longer before the quad shuts down then with holding both sticks down. Maybe I just have a technique that works for me?

russianfront said:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQjnfm5BGPQ

Near the beginning you see the drone, video'd from the ground, rise up then just fall. The part at the end of the video where the drone shuts down and falls to the ground almost hitting a guy reminds me very much of what happened to mine. Watch how fast it drops!

This is one of the scariest videos to watch if you are a Phantom owner. Should be required viewing for overconfident pilots.

After watching that video a couple times, it is reacting nearly exactly like mine did with the GPS Plug issue.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20