disaster...crash what on earth happened? any ideas?

I have quite a good experience with HD wind speed readings. The only problem is that sometimes it can't calculate the speed. But for each case I also carry an anemometer with me.

There is an app called "windy" I use. Also shows gusts. Information from weather stations, so you can get higher up readings.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Guys....

Im new to this, but I will 99% guarantee it wasn't down to wind, it was a calm day and there weren't any notable gusts. If there had been, I would not have flown it.
The drone was never out of range at all.....the signal strength was at 100% throughout and GPS had at least 15 satellites!

On a different note, DJI online chat told me to email europe tech support with various details so that I could arrange to get the drone returned for investigation.

I emailed them on Monday afternoon, twice. Ive had an automated response but nothing else.

How long do they take to contact you with details of what to do next? Its 3 days now and nothing...
Which DJI Support are you trying to contact?
I have a great experience with the European DJI Support. About a year ago they were in the Netherlands and these guys were great and fast. I also had a great experience with the new DJI Support which is in Germany now. They re fast and very nice guys.

There is an app called "windy" I use. Also shows gusts. Information from weather stations, so you can get higher up readings.

Oh thanks. I'll look for it. The only problem is that I usually fly in the mountains where no weather station is far away. I usually have a hike on foot several hours away from my car.

I checked the Play store. There are many Windy applications. Would you mind asking you which one do you use?
WINDY: NOAA wind forecast app - Android Apps on Google Play
Windytv / Windyty - Android Apps on Google Play
Windy Anemometer - Android Apps on Google Play

I use an iPad for flying now but will probably soon switch to NVidia Shield K1. So it doesn't matter to me if the app is for iOS or Android.

Oh thanks. I'll look for it. The only problem is that I usually fly in the mountains where no weather station is far away. I usually have a hike on foot several hours away from my car.

Nice! Mountain stuff is always pretty. I am in Florida, so much is ocean, ships, lighthouses, etc.

One time ... and never again ... I launched from a picnic table that had a wooden top but metal legs. The metal impacted the compass. From the moment it launched, it was totally out of control. It moved erratically and fast. I had no choice but to ground it (a nice way to say I forced a crash) immediately. No damage, but a lot of new respect for observing metal and other causes for magnetic interference during my pre-flight checks.

Another comment. When first flying a drone, it's a good idea to be in beginner mode. Secondly, I would start with simple flight patterns that don't include YAW. That forces you to stay close and to begin to understand how hard it is to judge distance or the heading direction of the drone when the drone is more than 50 yards away. It also avoids the issue of "left=right" and "right=left" when the drone is facing towards you.

Windytv
I took off from a manhole cover once. P2V went up 30' then veered off fast and totally out of control toward a big tree. Just before it should crash, somehow it stopped, stabilized, and then behaved itself the rest of the 10 min flight. Lesson learned.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

upload_2017-2-11_13-15-10.png

...this was as windy as i've ever flown, and it was noticeable on the ground.. but there have been times when it felt dead calm on the ground
but 200ft AGL it was blow'n a gale.. Kugaman.. those Curly Q's in the flight path, just before the incident, was that you flying or was it already
out of control at that point..? BTW thx for the FlightLog and the nfo...
IIIDaemon
www.GasRecovery.net

The data from GPS and actual thrust values for each rotor (which is all available) is sufficient to calculate pretty accurate, high-resolution (temporally) wind speed values. It truly is simply physics in this case -- forces (thrust) necessary to stay positioned gives direct feedback as to how hard the wind is pushing at any given moment. A little math with an aerodynamic model of the AC, and you've got a pretty good wind vector.

This should be calculated and displayed in the telemetry.

Got a bee in the bonnet with this thread!
I have hesitated posting this because some might get upset but let's go:

If we refer to the first posts, a compass error and subsequent GPS loss happened at proximity of the monument. I wonder if this was caused by the craft banking too much dues to wind and IMU got out of range?

There is very good inputs about wind but there might be more? Can compass acuracy be affected by extreme flight conditions caused by wind? Honestly I am not convinced therefore my question.

I have posted in this thread a video showing that this mineral monument might have a large amount of ferromagnetic particles (iron, nickel, cobalt). I remember a pilot reported that his craft got mad when flying over a paleolithic location within a forest and he noted there was misteriously no vegetation growing within that perimeter. He got frighten and told will never do it again.

If I'm correct saying that compass had an error and GPS was subsequently lost: can wind have caused this, even indirectly?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Here's my 2 cents worth.....granite tower is apparently of material ferrous or magnetic in nature, sufficient to affect a compass. The gps in the Phantom is good, but a gps by itself cannot sense direction, the compass is required to do this. So the compass is likely reading incorrectly due to the tower, the phantom attempts to go in the correct direction to maintain position, guided by the compass, which is reading in error, goes the wrong way which increases gps error, phantom tries desperately to reduce the error, but in the wrong direction. Closer it gets to the tower, the worse the compass error becomes too.
Auto pilots in boats using gps also require a compass to follow a course or navigate to a waypoint. I've seen them go haywire if a crew member stows a ferrous or magnetic object near the compass.

Last edited:
Reactions: RémyHeli
Hi all,

Just a quick update to finalise this thread.

First of all, many thanks for all of your inputs and ideas as to what caused this issue.

Massive thanks especially to f3hondaforme who decoded my flight logs and found the sudden errors which caused the crash. I sent a copy of these errors along with the drone to DJI support.

GOOD NEWS, Ive just got an email from them. It looks like they are replacing the whole drone.
Its not very clear as to the cause of the issue, it just says "Warranty, compass interference. the aircraft, gimbal, battery and props are damaged"........

Looking at the invoice, Im glad I do t have to pay it! Invoice cost is more than the cost of a new drone!

So anyway, Im not much wiser as to what went wrong, but for sure, I wont be flying anywhere near that tower again!

Massive thanks to DJI support for helping me eventually get this sorted out, look forwards to receiving the drone back now!

Reactions: Neon Euc
New drone delivered yesterday, looks like its a brand new replacement.

Cant fault DJI support. A lot of people are not happy with them but apart from a few small communication issues, they have done me proud!

Cant wait for some better weather to give it a go!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4