Disaster averted

Reaction score
My son was flying his FC40 today. We set him up with a WIFI extender (Amped Wireless SR10000) which has significantly increased the range of his camera for FPV.
So the boy flies it over to his friends house a few blocks away, and loses connection to the camera. (He came in low for a good look, which cut the video link.
So what does he do? He increases altitude on the controller, tries to re-establish video (can't). Instead of putting in failsafe mode, he decides to try homelock. He put the controller in home lock and pulled back on the stick.
Guess which stick he pulled back on ? LEFT!. The Phantom promptly descends into a tree. But to my son, his Phantom just disappeared.
A search begins. Must have walked under that tree 5 times (we did- recovered the video). Sent up my P2V+ on a search mission. No luck. Spread the word in the neighborhood that we were offering a $50 reward. That got 20 kids looking all over for it. Pissed off a few neighbors with backyard fence jumps..
The sun sets, Jack is strolling home dejected, when he looks up and sees a flashing light. Darn thing was on the top of a tree. A few minutes later, with the help of a ladder and a pool skimmer boom, the FC40 is home.
Then my son asks me if he gets the $50 reward....LOL

When you say put in fail safe or put in home lock what do you mean

I am not trying to be a **** here but if you do not know the answers to those questions you really shouldn't be flying a Phantom.
Be sure and read the manual. It will answer those questions and more! ;)

LuvMyTJ said:
I am not trying to be a **** here but if you do not know the answers to those questions you really shouldn't be flying a Phantom.
If you know the answer just say so instead of posting this useless response. People who do so IMHO need to get a life.

rustysd said:
LuvMyTJ said:
If you know the answer just say so instead of posting this useless response. People who do so IMHO need to get a life.

As he said, he wasn't trying to be a ****. Telling someone to read the manual instead of just giving the answer when they are handling a piece of equipment that could seriously injure someone is a good idea. There are other key pieces of information in the manual besides the difference between home lock and fail safe that they will learn by reading the whole manual. It really has nothing to do with having a life or not.

From the old days of the internet, a common initialism used was RTFM (read the ******* manual).

@rustysd-
I always answer fairly and in this situation I feel it was the right reply. Maybe you should look at a few of isle's other post.
Like...
Getting ready for first flight and I can not find out how you turn quad off after flight. You have flown quad and landed it I assume props are still spinning how do you then turn quad off??
So is there a magnet on drone or does that just refer to any source with magnet
Do lights on bottom of quad mean anything?in flight today the red on one arm where off and then came on 30 seconds later

He is asking very basic questions, which is not a bad thing if you are not flying yet. I didn't answer on purpose in this situation because he needs to get a grasp on the basics before someone gets hurt.

Have read manual a couple of times and sometimes find it hard to figure it out, that's why I ask questions. As far as questions I asked about shutting down I had not got that far in reading and seeing a question in forum prompted my question.The magnet question has the manual saying " the magnet" not a magnet or a magnet source which was confusing to me and as far as the lights on the bottom of quad arms I must be blind cause I can not find anything in manual and still not sure what if anything they mean. flew yesterday and was fine but I still have a whole lot to learn and everybody on forum has been great in helping me along the way.As a former Chief Petty Officer in the US Coast Guard I taught my men as I was taught comming up through the ranks there are no dumb questions, so I am sure I will have more questions Thanks everybody for the help

T0Rtur3 said:
rustysd said:
LuvMyTJ said:

As he said, he wasn't trying to be a ****. Telling someone to read the manual instead of just giving the answer when they are handling a piece of equipment that could seriously injure someone is a good idea. There are other key pieces of information in the manual besides the difference between home lock and fail safe that they will learn by reading the whole manual. It really has nothing to do with having a life or not.

From the old days of the internet, a common initialism used was RTFM (read the ******* manual).

This is a catch 22, as no manual comes with the phantom! lol
But I'm all for a quick google search before a post to a basic question like that

dragonash said:
T0Rtur3 said:
rustysd said:

This is a catch 22, as no manual comes with the phantom! lol
But I'm all for a quick google search before a post to a basic question like that

Yeah. If someone was able to find these forums, they more than likely should be able to find and print out the manual which I had printed out before I even purchased my Phantom. I think people are just a little on edge because right now is an important time in drone flying. The actions of others are going to affect how and where you can fly your Phantom in the future, not to mention just general public safety.

isle said:
Have read manual a couple of times and sometimes find it hard to figure it out, that's why I ask questions. As far as questions I asked about shutting down I had not got that far in reading and seeing a question in forum prompted my question.The magnet question has the manual saying " the magnet" not a magnet or a magnet source which was confusing to me and as far as the lights on the bottom of quad arms I must be blind cause I can not find anything in manual and still not sure what if anything they mean. flew yesterday and was fine but I still have a whole lot to learn and everybody on forum has been great in helping me along the way.As a former Chief Petty Officer in the US Coast Guard I taught my men as I was taught comming up through the ranks there are no dumb questions, so I am sure I will have more questions Thanks everybody for the help

isle said:
isle said:

Yeah I read your statement before. No one said that your question was dumb. They simply pointed you to the direction that has the answers. Teach a man to fish.

Also, if you have read the manual and have questions about certain parts, then just make a thread and ask for clarification. There are many people who will help you if they can. The problem with your original question was you didn't mention that you read the manual and couldn't understand it, so it was assumed you hadn't read it and were just asking.

I appreciate it but having gone through manual again I can find nothing explaining what lights on bottom of quad arms mean and why one arm was off and a little while later it came on

isle said:
I appreciate it but having gone through manual again I can find nothing explaining what lights on bottom of quad arms mean and why one arm was off and a little while later it came on

The lights underneath are for directional purposes, so you can tell which way your quad is facing. I'm not sure, but off the top of my head, the 2 red are front, and 2 green are rear. If one of them is off, then it sounds like there might be a connection problem or a short somewhere inside your Phantom. To the best of my knowledge, the only status indicator on the Phantom is the LED on the rear of the quad, behind the battery bay.

LuvMyTJ said:
@rustysd-
I always answer fairly and in this situation I feel it was the right reply. Maybe you should look at a few of isle's other post.
Like...
Getting ready for first flight and I can not find out how you turn quad off after flight. You have flown quad and landed it I assume props are still spinning how do you then turn quad off??
Do lights on bottom of quad mean anything?in flight today the red on one arm where off and then came on 30 seconds later

He is asking very basic questions, which is not a bad thing if you are not flying yet. I didn't answer on purpose in this situation because he needs to get a grasp on the basics before someone gets hurt.

If you don't want to answer a question - then find something better to do with your time than being a useless, self-righteous and admitted ****.

rustysd said:
LuvMyTJ said:
@rustysd-
Like...

If you don't want to answer a question - then find something better to do with your time than being a useless, self-righteous and admitted ****.

Shh. Adults are talking. Go troll somewhere else. The discussion has been handled just fine without your insults.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20