Disappointing Mavic image quality

No continuous autofocus I believe.
For most purposes you will focus at the hyperfocal distance, that for the camera parameters provided by DJI is about 10m. Focusing at 10m provides a depth of focus from 5m to infinity.
To film or take a picture between 0.5m and 5m will need tap-to-focus.
For more details see: Mavic Focus

It did serve a beneficial purpose to Mavic. It put the focus of FOCUS.
Everybody was freaked, then learned the picture is great, I WANT ONE NOW !!!!

Also, out of the box, C1 is mapped to center focus. You won't necessarily have to tap your screen unless you're in WiFi mode.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Footage looks amazing in this youtube clip

Mike, "Center Auto Focus" - wow, I missed that one! Now that sounds EXACTLY like what I was asking for like for ages...! So that would mean the Mavic indeed has a continuous autofocus mode? And whatever comes into the center of the frame becomes sharp in the image, without me tapping on the screen like crazy?

/// Tom
Curious. Can you fix the focus as well or is it always going to be auto focus? It would be a bummer if let's say you were descending passed a bridge, focused in the distance and as you passed the bridge it tried to focus on it in the foreground and then back again to the distance. Anyone know the focus options?

Curious. Can you fix the focus as well or is it always going to be auto focus? It would be a bummer if let's say you were descending passed a bridge, focused in the distance and as you passed the bridge it tried to focus on it in the foreground and then back again to the distance. Anyone know the focus options?
Define 'fix the focus' - you mean lock it in a specific position like you would with exposure? I looked through the pre-release manual and didn't see any reference to it, but then again, there are many things missing from this document. I can say that you're probably not going to have the Mavic focusing on things you don't tell it to, as in your bridge example.

The only focus 'options' we know of for sure is that you can tap the screen to focus on a specific object/distance, or use the C1 button (in the default mapping) to focus at the center.

and paying any attention to technical merit from someone like Casey.

I will say after watching the guy I thought what an idiot. DJI is going to dump him.. ummm no I missed the point entirely. Casey is an entertainer. That's it. His antics are what get him hits not his ability to provide meaningful reviews.

I watched a few more and actually came to the conclusion that I like the guy.. and I got to see the Mavic in action.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

Reactions: rbarry12
I have a P3A which I love, but my biggest problem with it it it's just too big for hiking when I already have a large backpack with me. Then I see the Mavic launch and think this is the ultimate drone for me! It looks amazing, and seems to be a big leap forward. However, I've just watched Casey Neistat's image quality comparison with the P4 and quite frankly, the Mavic's image quality is awful. There's no way I would be happy with that.So unless a future version comes out with a better quality camera, it's dead in the water for me
With everything I've read and with my experience with the new z-3 camera on the inspire 1 that also had focus issues you need to tap the screen on the area your shooting to get the lens to focus. That seem to be the same with the Mavic.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers