Disappointing Mavic image quality

Yes, Casey knows it's misrepresenting reality. A normal person would be embarrassed and remove it. He's obviously not that person. Is there a motive? And what about the DJI guy that was with him, does he still have a job?

Casey said in the video he didn't read the manual. With ignorance you get disinformation.

I hope that's the last DJI product Casey gets early to review, and I hope DJI learned a lesson with that guy. He's like a gorilla in a China shop. Little value in that.

The reality is that DJI obviously failed to properly inform people of the focus function when it provided early review units. It's also obvious that it was not intuitive that the focus function even existed or how it should be used as pretty much every one of the initial reviews I saw had the problem with out of focus images. If the people at FlightTest didn't readily pick up on this function, it's doubtful that very many of the purchasing public would either. I'm glad these reviews exposed this potential problem so when I get my Mavic in my hands I will be well aware of the need to focus. I assume Casey Neistat will correct this issue with another review properly using the focus function. Regardless, it's unreasonable to expect him to take down a video with 2.6 million views because DJI screwed up. It's my purely speculative belief that DJI is probably working on making the function more obvious, functional, and intuitive and is probably working with the people (including Casey Neistat) who were given the initial review units. We should see plenty of proper reviews of image quality and the focus feature in the near future.

What was laughable was his follow up video where he tries to justify the soft video by saying it is good enough considering the convenience of the Mavic.

After he learns that he needs to focus the camera, the video quality is still not as good as you would expect.
Maybe he just got a bad one.

I would speculate that DJI would change software to make camera auto focus on infinity after launch, as their current pre-production approach to have user focus would lead to many many soft videos as users just forget to take that step each and every time.
As for Casey, he values his high viewership numbers and $$$ associated with it more then his integrity. Would he be honest about the early mishap, he could simply reload the same video but with text caution over the portion of the soft focus test to specify that he did not properly prepped the Mavic. But that would kill his current #1 Mavic rated video on Youtube, so he would never do it.

FWIW, DJI did not provide Casey with his Mavic. I don't know the exact details, but it was from a third party, either a friend or a marketing company.

Having said that, the package absolutely should have had instructions on focus, because it didn't seem like anyone got the memo (except the ones who actually spent time with the app and craft before making videos).

What was laughable was his follow up video where he tries to justify the soft video by saying it is good enough considering the convenience of the Mavic.

After he learns that he needs to focus the camera, the video quality is still not as good as you would expect.

The video you posted was the video where he did not know about the focus function. The following video was shot after he knew about the focus function.

Regardless of whether it was DJI, or whether he should have figured out the focus I bet if even a small percentage of his subscriber base now look at the Mavic DJI will be happy.

I would speculate that DJI would change software to make camera auto focus on infinity after launch, as their current pre-production approach to have user focus would lead to many many soft videos as users just forget to take that step each and every time.
As for Casey, he values his high viewership numbers and $$$ associated with it more then his integrity. Would he be honest about the early mishap, he could simply reload the same video but with text caution over the portion of the soft focus test to specify that he did not properly prepped the Mavic. But that would kill his current #1 Mavic rated video on Youtube, so he would never do it.
I would think at startup, it should be set to a hyperfocal distance that would still be sharp at infinity. Casey did mention in the comments below his video, that he did not know the camera had to be focused.

The video you posted was the video where he did not know about the focus function. The following video was shot after he knew about the focus function.
Yes, that was one where he was trying to justify the soft focus. In the later video, where he knows better, he still is not getting good focus on many of the shots.
Hopefully, we will see better results from other real users.

The video description says in big all cap letters "UPDATE!!! MAVIC REQUIRES A TAP TO FOCUS VS. THE PHANTOMS AUTOFOCUS. THIS EXPLAINS THE SOFTER IMAGE. I WAS USING THE DRONE IMPROPERLY. THIS IS MY MISTAKE NOT THE DRONE. CHECKOUT ONE OF MY MORE RECENT EPISODES TO SEE IN-FOCUS SHARP IMAGES. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uyrQs... PS - MAVIC IS (since the moment i first used it) MY ALL TIME FAVORITE DRONE"

I guess to save his "integrity" you also want him to personally call each of his viewers on the phone and tell them too. Of course he values his viewership and $$, because that's how he makes his living.

...this could also be the reason (notice the P4 on the left):

D4oJjKx.gif

There are a ton of issues to address here.

1) Had Casey (the fastest growing channel on youtube and owner of at least 5 Phantom 4's) not made his video, the spotlight would not have been cast upon DJI to inform everybody of the tap to focus feature.

2) He still calls the Mavic the best drone in the world, so I doubt he shed a negative light on the Mavic quality because he also has a lot of GoPro equipment.

3)DJI should have sent instructions with their review drones, I've seen MULTIPLE reports of people not knowing a thing about the drones they received. Bad marketing but hey, I'm still buying one.

4) Neistat treats his drones as tools, not hobby toys. Instead of mocking him for dropping/breaking countless drones, realize the amount of free advertising DJI gets and how vast the reach of his channel is. He captures better drone footage than probably 90% of the photography world. Should he break $4-5k worth of drones to do so, meh. He's making a living off of that.

The onus really falls on DJI here to have done a better job getting quality (seen a few people blaming their issues on it being a pre-production model) review drones to the right people with the right instruction. But then again, the drone looks incredible and I'll have one in my hands middle of this month hopefully.

**Also, to those saying he should take his video down. His video is a daily VLOG, not a paid or probably even sanctioned review, yet DJI will make more money off of that video than they will lose... Get over it.

4) Neistat treats his drones as tools, not hobby toys. Instead of mocking him for dropping/breaking countless drones, realize the amount of free advertising DJI gets and how vast the reach of his channel is. He captures better drone footage than probably 90% of the photography world. Should he break $4-5k worth of drones to do so, meh. He's making a living off of that.

It's pretty funny though how often he breaks lenses, cameras, mics, drones...he even has a DJI "graveyard" on a wall in his studio...

Watch every video Casey puts out from that point forward (check out his channel)... He used the MAVIC for everything in the cities he visits and the images are stunning!

Reactions: Phantom4Ryan
I love Casey but he's not the brightest tech guy. He's a YouTuber with 8 broken Phantom 4 drones on his shop wall. I watch his vids cause they are funny, refreshing and inspiring. Anyone of some intelligence or minimal dexterity can fly a UAV. Remember when he panicked like a little girl when he lost signal with his first phantom?

He did post a new video about the tap to focus the next day after his first review. Yes he should edit his first Mavic review and put a tab highlighting his mistake to be clear.

I love Casey but he's not the brightest tech guy. He's a YouTuber with 8 broken Phantom 4 drones on his shop wall. I watch his vids cause they are funny, refreshing and inspiring. Anyone of some intelligence or minimal dexterity can fly a UAV. Remember when he panicked like a little girl when he lost signal with his first phantom?

He did post a new video about the tap to focus the next day after his first review. Yes he should edit his first Mavic review and put a tab highlighting his mistake to be clear.

'not the brightest tech guy'

5 million more youtube subs than you. I think he'll be okay.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20