Disappointing Mavic image quality

Reaction score
I have a P3A which I love, but my biggest problem with it it it's just too big for hiking when I already have a large backpack with me. Then I see the Mavic launch and think this is the ultimate drone for me! It looks amazing, and seems to be a big leap forward. However, I've just watched Casey Neistat's image quality comparison with the P4 and quite frankly, the Mavic's image quality is awful. There's no way I would be happy with that.So unless a future version comes out with a better quality camera, it's dead in the water for me.

That video doesnt represent the video of the Mavic...

Look at this video instead:

Mavic got pretty much the same video quality as the P4.

I've just read on Neistat's twitter page he didn't focus the Mavic properly when doing that image quality comparison. That kind of changes things a bit...don't you think? :rolleyes:
I will wait to see some more comparisons and if it is indeed better quality than I've seen so far, I'm definitely selling the P3A and buying a Mavic.

This still image comparison is what I wanted to see, looks the same to me.

Last edited:
I have a P3A which I love, but my biggest problem with it it it's just too big for hiking when I already have a large backpack with me. Then I see the Mavic launch and think this is the ultimate drone for me! It looks amazing, and seems to be a big leap forward. However, I've just watched Casey Neistat's image quality comparison with the P4 and quite frankly, the Mavic's image quality is awful. There's no way I would be happy with that.So unless a future version comes out with a better quality camera, it's dead in the water for me.

I suggest you read previous discussions of this very topic in this blog. The subject has been discussed at length. Mavic's camera is not fixed focus as the P4 and Casey did not focus the camera on a distant object before flying.
Mavic images are equal if not better than those of P4. Here are two crops to illustrate the point. On the left the P4 crop on the right the Mavic similar crop. The difference in size is due to the different focal length of the lenses, 20 vs 28mm. The images are RAW and unprocessed and obtained in similar conditions.

Mavic-P4-crop.jpg

Neistat needs to retract that video ASAP just for the sake of us not having to disprove it for thousand time.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots

That video doesnt represent the video of the Mavic...
What do you mean by that? CaseyNeistat says he's filming 4K with both Phantom 4 and Mavic, without editing or color grading of any kind. EDIT: That answer came right after... Although how much focusing is required for a good quality picture on Mavic?
There was some rumours as well that the image quality will be fixed in the release firmware (Still waiting for firmware update on my drone from 1.6.8.0 since summer :D)
What I would like to see is a similar comparison with GoPro Hero 5 (Karma) and Mavic in flight, becouse just the glimpse given on that video suggests that the Hero 5 has so much more depth on the image.
Although if the Karma turns out to be a failure as a drone incomparison to Mavic even that detail is irrelevant, cause I don't need a slingshot camera, I want a compact drone camera with integrity :)

Last edited:
What do you mean by that? CaseyNeistat says he's filming 4K with both Phantom 4 and Mavic, without editing or color grading of any kind. EDIT: That answer came right after... Although how much focusing is required for a good quality picture on Mavic?
There was some rumours as well that the image quality will be fixed in the release firmware (Still waiting for firmware update on my drone from 1.6.8.0 since summer :D)
What I would like to see is a similar comparison with GoPro Hero 5 (Karma) and Mavic in flight, becouse just the glimpse given on that video suggests that the Hero 5 has so much more depth on the image.
Although if the Karma turns out to be a failure as a drone incomparison to Mavic even that detail is irrelevant, cause I don't need a slingshot camera, I want a compact drone camera with integrity :)

The footage Casey linked has already been refuted all over the place (including by himself the same day he posted it). That is NOT a representation of the Mavic. He caused more harm than good when he posted that.

It is nothing to focus - just tap the screen on the phone on a far out object (further than a few meters, at least) and it will set the focus to infinity. If you want to shoot something close and show more depth of field, then you touch something on the screen that is a few feet away.

There are tons of videos out on YouTube and on the DJI Mavic FB group that show exactly how this works and some amazing footage that is crystal clear and sharp as a tack. Hell even the goldfish (casey) has better subsequent video from the Mavic.

This whole Casy and Focus nonsense is a dead horse at this point...

The footage Casey linked has already been refuted all over the place (including by himself the same day he posted it). That is NOT a representation of the Mavic. He caused more harm than good when he posted that.

It is nothing to focus - just tap the screen on the phone on a far out object (further than a few meters, at least) and it will set the focus to infinity. If you want to shoot something close and show more depth of field, then you touch something on the screen that is a few feet away.

There are tons of videos out on YouTube and on the DJI Mavic FB group that show exactly how this works and some amazing footage that is crystal clear and sharp as a tack. Hell even the goldfish (casey) has better subsequent video from the Mavic.

This whole Casy and Focus nonsense is a dead horse at this point...

How do you focus if you want to fly without a mobile device attached to the RC?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

How do you focus if you want to fly without a mobile device attached to the RC?
You cannot set the focus to a specific location without a mobile device. The best you could do is map the C1/C2 button to "Center Auto Focus". And, then set the focus to the center after you ascend so the camera does not focus on something nearby.

IMG_0002.jpg

Last edited:
Neistat needs to retract that video ASAP just for the sake of us not having to disprove it for thousand time.

I agree, If I was DJI my attorneys would be sending him a strong notice to take it down or reshoot it properly. He's only leaving it up because of the Youtube $$$ he receives based on number of views.

Reactions: wattage
I agree, If I was DJI my attorneys would be sending him a strong notice to take it down or reshoot it properly. He's only leaving it up because of the Youtube $$$ he receives based on number of views.
Or maybe $$$ received from GoPro??

You cannot set the focus to a specific location without a mobile device. The best you could do is map the C1/C2 button to "Center Auto Focus". And, then set the focus to the center after you ascend so the camera does not focus on something nearby.

Mike, "Center Auto Focus" - wow, I missed that one! Now that sounds EXACTLY like what I was asking for like for ages...! So that would mean the Mavic indeed has a continuous autofocus mode? And whatever comes into the center of the frame becomes sharp in the image, without me tapping on the screen like crazy?

/// Tom

Last edited:

View attachment 66392

It does not look like those buttons exist on the Mavic remote(?). One button is left of the screen, and one is right which - I believe - a 5-directional joystick. From where is that screenshot? thanks//wfrank

upload_2016-10-6_13-36-43.png

Yes, Casey knows it's misrepresenting reality. A normal person would be embarrassed and remove it. He's obviously not that person. Is there a motive? And what about the DJI guy that was with him, does he still have a job?

Casey said in the video he didn't read the manual. With ignorance you get disinformation.

I hope that's the last DJI product Casey gets early to review, and I hope DJI learned a lesson with that guy. He's like a gorilla in a China shop. Little value in that.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub