Disappointed with FPV

Re: FPV preview quality limited to 320x240?

isopro said:
Omg, i just noticed that to, on the vision there's no difference between the 320x240 15 fps and 640x480 15 or 30 fps in video quality....
I wonder if an old version of the DJI Vision app would fix this issue...They clearly say in the manual that we should have 640x480 on the Vision and now there's no difference, so it is the Vision App, that only allow it for the VIsion+...Because i remember before 2 updates ago of the vision app i could see difference when changing preview quality...I think they probably add to nurf down the Vision settings because some of them add conflicts with the Vision+ settings...So we don't have complete compass rose anymore, no more 640x480...

hi isopro, see screenshots. you can definitely see theres a difference... not great lighting as it's dark here but you can see the pixel difference. one is 640x480 30fps and the other is 320x240 30fps. i'm using ALL the latest firmwares 3.2 assistant, 1.0.52 app. am i just one of the lucky ones? i have groundstation waypoints too. if this is what you're all talking about that you havn't got then i better not upgrade any further incase DJI steal it back!! ..

by the way i'd spent the last 2 days downgrading to various apps , and assistant software and rebinding as i thought the latest version had bricked my camera. didnt go past 3.0 assistant though. maybe all this mucking about did something? anyway turns out i was scanning a QR code that didn't belong to the camera (ebay phantom!)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2014-08-16-21-41-45 (1).png
    Screenshot_2014-08-16-21-41-45 (1).png
    984.7 KB · Views: 386
  • Screenshot_2014-08-16-21-42-05 (1).png
    Screenshot_2014-08-16-21-42-05 (1).png
    661.5 KB · Views: 392
Re: FPV preview quality limited to 320x240?

funkdoobies said:
isopro said:
Omg, i just noticed that to, on the vision there's no difference between the 320x240 15 fps and 640x480 15 or 30 fps in video quality....
I wonder if an old version of the DJI Vision app would fix this issue...They clearly say in the manual that we should have 640x480 on the Vision and now there's no difference, so it is the Vision App, that only allow it for the VIsion+...Because i remember before 2 updates ago of the vision app i could see difference when changing preview quality...I think they probably add to nurf down the Vision settings because some of them add conflicts with the Vision+ settings...So we don't have complete compass rose anymore, no more 640x480...

hi isopro, see screenshots. you can definitely see theres a difference... not great lighting as it's dark here but you can see the pixel difference. one is 640x480 30fps and the other is 320x240 30fps. i'm using ALL the latest firmwares 3.2 assistant, 1.0.52 app. am i just one of the lucky ones? i have groundstation waypoints too. if this is what you're all talking about that you havn't got then i better not upgrade any further incase DJI steal it back!! ..

by the way i'd spent the last 2 days downgrading to various apps , and assistant software and rebinding as i thought the latest version had bricked my camera. didnt go past 3.0 assistant though. maybe all this mucking about did something? anyway turns out i was scanning a QR code that didn't belong to the camera (ebay phantom!)
I'll try the same with latest app, maybe it really was fixed in last release, did u mean 1.0.42, cause 52 don't exist i think ? :)

android app 1.0.52 apk latest one on dronelslingers site... i'm going to do some more testing on my descent rate tomorrow as it seemed to have improved alot for some reason. on the previous version i'd have to hold the stick down and would sometimes question as to whether it was moving at all... now it comes down rapid!!

Thanks for posting those pictures funkdoobies, they really do show what sort of kak resolution DJI think some of us vision owners should now put up with! I am using exactly the same app and firmware versions as you but don't get 640 res, how can that be! The same product running the same software but giving different results, only DJI could manage that! Did you know that even the cheapo £100 Hubsan quadcopter can even manage to turn out 640 PFV (yes i know it has less range, but still), so why we should be limited to a quarter of that resolution on a machine that costs 8 x more is inexcusable. Also, I'm a bit confused about all this talk of apple and jailbreaking etc, i'm not an apple user so these comments about having to crack their locked down o/s don't apply to me. Can I ask, were the app releases for both android and apple named the same? If not, does anyone know which android app last gave full res FPV please?

Update - have done some more testing using the following 3 vision assistant firmwares - 1.08, 3.0, 3.2. I then tried the following android apps - 1.36, 1.38, 1.50 and 1.52 each time I upgraded. Guess what..... no change! still 320 res only. It's got me stumped, it really has.

pencilcoil said:
Update - have done some more testing using the following 3 vision assistant firmwares - 1.08, 3.0, 3.2. I then tried the following android apps - 1.36, 1.38, 1.50 and 1.52 each time I upgraded. Guess what..... no change! still 320 res only. It's got me stumped, it really has.

I downloaded my versions of 3.2 assistant and 1.0.52 android app off droneslinger. I have 640 res and it is definatley different to 320. I must be one of the lucky ones? If it helps, I had recently rebound my camera manually using mac address in the binding tab on app, i also downgraded my camera to 118 and then back up to 119 after I'd updated everything else.

And no, iOS and android apps have different names. Check out www.droneslinger.com for android versions. Easy one stop shop!

Its interesting because i also got 640x480 res, since i downgraded cam to 1.1.18 and reupgraded to 1.1.19, and that is with latest firmwares and latest Dji Vision.

isopro said:
Its interesting because i also got 640x480 res, since i downgraded cam to 1.1.18 and reupgraded to 1.1.19, and that is with latest firmwares and latest Dji Vision.

Sounds like we need some other members to test this out, isopro can you post that link to 1.1.18 in this thread? Its the one firmware not on droneslinger.

ProfessorStein said:
Plus some folks are even reporting that 640x480 still works with a FULLY STOCK, updated Phantom. So I'm not convinced we really know WHAT is affecting the preview quality.
quote]

My P2V does work at 640x480 15fps. At least that is the setting in the app. Attached are screen saves of 320x240-30 and 640x480-15.
Main Controller firmware 3.06, P330CB firmware 1.0.1.32, DJI app 1.0.42, iOS 7.1.2, iPhone5

Attachments

• 640.jpg
    640.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 392
  • 320.jpg
    320.jpg
    99.8 KB · Views: 369
Thanks for the pictures for comparison Mikeon. There is a slight difference but its not really distinct is it? Unless my eyes are deceiving me I wouldnt say that one pic has 4 x the pixel count of the other (77K upto 307k), would you? The other post with pictures a few days ago shows a much greater difference. Anyway, it still doesnt work for me unfortunately. I think a refund/exchange is the only way forward for me as I only bought my Phantom last month.

Well I had the brain power to mod the antennas and amps to get to over 4.8 km in range but because this is an odd set up and no one really knows what is controlling what it is a bit of a puzzle. Personally I don't want jail break phone.[/quote]

Then stick with newest release, and hope DJI fix preview for Vision(non-plus) owners, some days. Did you mod this yourself by making your own home made antennas, or buyed premade kits and an extender, that you just have to install ?
Anyways what did you use to get 4.8km ?[/quote]

Sorry for late reply but set up for 4.8 km is
2 x Rhcp circular wireless antennas on the camera
2 x 18dbi linear patch antennas for video ground station boosted to 1000mW per channel
1 x 11 dbi patch on the 5.8 control boosted to 1000mW
USB battery pack for the re 500 to keep top of charge

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1