Disappointed with FPV

isopro said:
When you change the txpower settings of the Drone, and apply, it change the txpower of the Drone to extender connection, this was tested and prooved before, i could even take screenshot or a video of the whole process...The change in hardware is in the PV2+ not in the PV2, but the software to connect to the PV2+ and PV2 is the same so they add to remove some functions from the PV2 in the software, because they were causing issues with the PV2+(simple logic)or they would have to make a (DJI VIsion Plus) different software...
Before arguing about this, did you ever connect to the Drone via ssh and change the txpower of the drone, put WPA2 to protect Drone to extender or extender to Ipod, Androit ? If not you don't have the required experience to argue about this, i boost my Drone txpower to 27 dBm(501mw) everytime i do a long range test flight, both my connections were encrypted for security purposes, by connecting to the extender SSID to make the change, and i did lot of testing before saying this, I even added custom softwares on my drone and extender, putted Open-Wrt on a 3rd party range extender and binded the drone, etc. This theory is based on fact and hours of testing not presumptions and guess like you do...
so then. Is it your experienced opinion that adding the re700 extender to the vision will provide a benefit in range and quality?

pencilcoil said:
isopro said:
When you change the txpower settings of the Drone, and apply, it change the txpower of the Drone to extender connection, this was tested and prooved before, i could even take screenshot or a video of the whole process...The change in hardware is in the PV2+ not in the PV2, but the software to connect to the PV2+ and PV2 is the same so they add to remove some functions from the PV2 in the software, because they were causing issues with the PV2+(simple logic)or they would have to make a (DJI VIsion Plus) different software...
Before arguing about this, did you ever connect to the Drone via ssh and change the txpower of the drone, put WPA2 to protect Drone to extender or extender to Ipod, Androit ? If not you don't have the required experience to argue about this, i boost my Drone txpower to 27 dBm(501mw) everytime i do a long range test flight, both my connections were encrypted for security purposes, by connecting to the extender SSID to make the change, and i did lot of testing before saying this, I even added custom softwares on my drone and extender, putted Open-Wrt on a 3rd party range extender and binded the drone, etc. This theory is based on fact and hours of testing not presumptions and guess like you do...
so then. Is it your experienced opinion that addind the re700 extender to the vision will provide a benefit in range and quality?
range yes and a lot like x3 range, quality no.

We shall just have to wait and see then! I won't update to the latest firmware until I have tested the re700, that way we can be sure if the new wifi extender makes the difference on its own (rather than the firmware update).....

isopro said:

So the Range Extender app is actually ssh'ing into the camera and changing the dBm? That starts to make much more sense. Didn't even think about that. I was thinking that the app simply adjusted the settings on the iPhone or whatever... and I just couldn't see how that would do anything.

And, yes, I have connected to the drone via term... but admit I have not messed with any settings.

But... your rant still has no facts concerning the whys and wherefores of the limitation of the FPV res or the disappearance of the compass rose. I still say it was in response to bandwidth issues... and that the RE700 may help.

pencilcoil said:
We shall just have to wait and see then! I won't update to the latest firmware until I have tested the re700, that way we can be sure if the new wifi extender makes the difference on its own (rather than the firmware update).....
Changing extender cannot change preview quality, it's 100% impossible, since extender is only a wireless client bridge and act in no part, in the video resolution and or encoding. Only the Vision app and camera act for this purpose.
If you want 640x480x15fps FPV, a working compass rose, roll indicator, etc, you MUST downgrade your DJI Vision app, using the links i provided, your best bet would be to use 1.0.32 iOs, 1.0.38 Android(if you don't mind no ground station), and a RE700, to get long range and high res FPV...
And the only way to find out 100% if my theory is right would be to try to fly a Vision+ using 1.0.32, if 640x480+ compass rose work, using a Vision+ with 1.0.32 DJI Vision app, it would mean that it was removed because of a bug or something else, if 640x480 and compass rose would not work on 1.0.32 with a Vision+ it would mean my theory is right...

isopro said:
Changing extender cannot change preview quality, it's 100% impossible, since extender is only a wireless client bridge and act in no part, in the video resolution and or encoding. Only the Vision app and camera act for this purpose.

Would you pleeeeeeeeeease stop spouting off like you know what you're talking about?? The RE500/RE700 is not "only a wireless client bridge". It translates the communication between the " FC200_xxxxx" and the "Phantom_xxxxx" SSID nets. That is not simply a "bridge". And it's not 100% impossible for a different extender to increase the video resolution.

One scenario I can think of is... Vision app handshakes with the extender, the extender identifies itself as an RE500, the app says "okay, you're a Phantom 2 Vision" (or, more likely, "okay, you're only capable of a throughput of x bps"), and limits the FPV resolution accordingly. Now, you switch out the extender, and during the handshake identifies itself as an RE700, the app says "okay, you're capable of the more robust throughput of 5x bps", and the resolution limits are adjusted up accordingly. Very, very simple. And happens all the time in network software engineering.

You're stuck on the problem being the camera. But you need to expand your horizons... it could be so many other causes.

I see others now saying they are not getting the same range out of the RE700s as the were before the new software update.

I wonder if thats why im only getting about 1800 feet before by video starts getting choppy and then loses connection.

Only 1800 feet? I would be more than happy with that. Almost double re500 range. Some people are now reporting only 750 feet using the re700!

Well reason I said only 1800 to it was more lie 1880 was others getting out as far as there control signal would take them with out losing any video. which if I was able to get the same range on the repeater as my control range would be about 2700 feet. Which is farther then the 700m the RE700 is supposed to be able to do in ideal conditions.

Tho I'm mostly just wondering if any one that was getting real long ranges out of the re700 happen to be getting less now then they were getting after up dating to the newest version of the phantom assistant and the vision app. Being I have nothing to compare my results to. My vision didnt even come with an extender so I just got the re700 and can even compare what i would of gotten on the re500 and being I also just flew with the 3.2 assistant I cant even compare if What I'm getting on the video range is the same or less then I would of gotten had I not upgraded to the v3.2

Isopro, what's the best jailbreak out for the iphone untethered ... or anyone else that has jailbroke what's the best place to use?

Unfortunately the re700 did not give 640 x 480 FPV as expected. Yes you could select it from the menu but it makes no difference. Therefore still stuck with 320x240 :-( The app, camera or onboard software must be locking this option out for us p2v owners. Would have been nice if the manual had made this clear!

I wouldn't say a higher res was "expected"... but it sure would've been nice. At least now we know for sure and can stop guessing.

Some people do report 640 res but im not sure what version software they are running. It definitely doesn't work with the latest 3.06 and post 29 july android application

pencilcoil said:
Some people do report 640 res but im not sure what version software they are running. It definitely doesn't work with the latest 3.06 and post 29 july android application

I get 640 x 480 x 15 res using PV2. Assistant 1.08 and Android app. 1.0.38, with a Nexus 7. Theres a huge difference in FPV video quality between 640 res and 320 res. If I had to use 320 res I would be very disappointed with PV2.

Just checking... are you completely stock on your P2V, enterprise? With the original RE500 extender, or the RE700 from the Plus?

ProfessorStein said:
Just checking... are you completely stock on your P2V, enterprise? With the original RE500 extender, or the RE700 from the Plus?

Re500 with added helix antenna mod. + 2watt amp. I have tried other android app. upgrades and assistant upgrades with poor video results. Long range wifi is not my goal but good consistant video is. 3000ft horz. at altitude of not more then 100ft is my normal flying range.

enterprise1 said:
I get 640 x 480 x 15 res using PV2. Assistant 1.08 and Android app. 1.0.38, with a Nexus 7. Theres a huge difference in FPV video quality between 640 res and 320 res. If I had to use 320 res I would be very disappointed with PV2.

I use both above versions with a Nexus 7 v2.
Mostly fly at 640 x 480 15 fps - with higher version Android app tried the 640 x 480 30fps setting but too much freezing.
I'm glad this thread came up. With the further loss of 7th channel for pitch too many cons to upgrade from 1.08. :(

I am so irritated about this that I have formally written to the dealer in the uk and requested a refund on the basis that this product is now not sold as advertised and is not fit for purpose as defined in the sale of goods act 1979. Ie it is no longer possible to fly fpv at 640 x 480 as per the original sales spec and indeed the operator manual. I await a response before escalating this claim .

Join the club. I would do the same if I hadn't done an aerial mod on the WiFi extender. Did you buy on credit card? If you did then you have them banged to rights under section 75 of the consumer credit act. The card company is joint and several liable with the seller. You just pick who you want to pursue especially if the seller won't play ball.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj