Disappointed about motor damage due to crash guard screws

Reaction score
Hi. We've been flying the phantom now for about three months. Until today I've been telling others how cool DJI's product is.

Sadly, today when I started up the copter three of the four motors stuttered and wouldn't turn properly. Reading on the forum it seems that this is caused by damage to the motor wire coils from the long screws of the crash guards.

I've read that people take the guards off and then screw the long screws back into the body, causing the long screws to move into the motor damaging the windings. I wish I can claim that I did that. My screws went back on with the guards as per normal.

I simply removed a gimbal assembly, screwed everything back the same as many times before. And voila. 75% motor damage.

It seems that DJI is aware of this issue. Yet before I even started up the Phantom I watched of videos on its LED signals, radio settings, firmware upgrades and USB connectivity. I even carry the printed manual with me for reference (having read it a number of times). I didn't pick up on any mention of this problem, yet the forum has many references to it.

From what I read on the forums DJI is aware of the problem of the long screws causing damage to motors, even though it is a stock product.

In my opinion this product has somewhat of a factory defect and DJI could offer customers a swap policy - return damaged motors to DJI along with the long screws and receive new motors with shorter screws. I wouldn't mind paying for return postage.

However, buying new motors because the stock parts (under normal usage) caused damage seems unfair.

Tonight at the digital video association we are supposed to demo the phantom. Instead I'll make sure to send out a warning.

Re: Disappointed about motor damage due to crash guard screw

The only reports I've ever seen of propguard screws damaging motors is when they're used without the propguard(s) mounted. I've used the propguards for a while now, removing and reinstalling them numerous times. Even though I've screwed in the longer prop guard screws till they're even deeper in the recesses than the regular short screws, not once I have penetrated the motors.

OI Photography said:
The only reports I've ever seen of propguard screws damaging motors is when they're used without the propguard(s) mounted. I've used the propguards for a while now, removing and reinstalling them numerous times. Even though I've screwed in the longer prop guard screws till they're even deeper in the recesses than the regular short screws, not once I have penetrated the motors.

I replaced my motors in the first month of use because of this :(

You are the only person I've ever heard of who has busted a motor with the correct screws.

There are a few different lengths of screws araound the case. Maybe you used the wrong screws when you put it back together. It seems very odd that putting the same screws back in where they were before did some damage.

Seeing as its impossible to damage the motors with the correct screws the only way it can be done is user error and using longer screws then your meant to. You could not physically get the correct screw to go so far through a motor that it would touch the windings as they just aren't long enough to do this.

LOL I just did this very thing last night, I came on here to post a video and ask for help on why my motors where acting the way they where! And this explains it. I went for a flight last night and ended up running out of juice while bring her back, landed on the roof and the only way to get her down was to start it back up and fly off, She crashed and broke two prop guards so I took them off and without thinking about rather or not they came with different screws then the ones that where in there I just put them back and f-ed all four of my motors!! Any way now I know what happen thank goodness I own two.
My first one I crashed a couple times in water and burnt out the receiver but before I knew what the problem was and thinking it was maybe the receiver or the Naza I just bought a new Phantom because I can't find a receiver for the version 1.1.1 and a Naza is alot of dough and I just wanted to get back to flying! So with bracking this one I just to the receiver out and put it in the old one and now I'm back in the air:) I still wouldn't mind seeing DJI take some kind of action on this because they tell you they are for first time users but don't warn of something like this in their own product for dumb dumbs like me.
Oh well looks like I'll be buying new motors and a receiver for this one if I ever find a Version 1.1.1 receiver out there, Let me know. And always remember to buy two RC's in case you need one for parts lol..

DJI clearly needs to print in bold somewhere in their packaging "longer Prop Guard screws are meant for prop guards only, you could damage your motors otherwise" (or similar), but if there's no mention, then I'd say you (and others) indeed have good reason to hold DJI somewhat responsible.

Gizmo3000 said:
DJI clearly needs to print in bold somewhere in their packaging "longer Prop Guard screws are meant for prop guards only, you could damage your motors otherwise" (or similar), but if there's no mention, then I'd say you (and others) indeed have good reason to hold DJI somewhat responsible.

I could have sworn I posted links in another prop guard screw thread to the manual with similar mention about the screws, but the one JSG posted works just fine too. I think it's mentioned on each "motor stuttering" thread as well!

I'm just happy to know what the f I did wrong. Now I know how to fix it and kind of look of it as a blessing seeming how after I took the motors apart and found they where filthy inside which tells me I needed some upgraded one's any way! Thanks DJI :) I think at some point others will just change out the stock ones for newer better one's any way so I wouldn't sweet braking them I mean at some point it's going to happen so you may as well get it out of the way right?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers