Disabled Flyer ?

Reaction score
Hi Guy,

I'm soon to become the owner of a P3 advanced and was wondering could you please give me some tips and advice.

As the title states i was born with a disability which affects my legs and balance because of this i cant walk too far and have to be careful when bending down etc. Based on this is there any products/tips you can offer which may make my drone flying experience easier and in turn more enjoyable. Also as i assume compass calibration is required before each flight is there any easy methods you have found for doing this as i think i will find holding the P3 and rotating it quite difficult. Also after i have set this at a location for example if i then return to that same location for exampkle several weeks later do i have to complete the compass calibration again?

Many Thanks For Your Time....

Its not difficult to fly P3 but as you said you don't want to move but control P3 from one point, here are the tips:

1. Try to fly always from the same area as that doesn't need recalibration at site.
2. You may need a big flat landing area to avoid P3 tipping over due to uneven surface and break the props. You can also use prop guards to reduce the possibility of damaging props accidentally.
3. I presume you will be sitting most of the time during flights. In such a case you should have a clear front field and LOS to fly as far as possible. Keep LOS all the time.
4. You need some one to replace batteries at site to avoid you moving to P3 for every new battery.
5. ....

Will add more as they come to my mind.

Assuming you have someone there with you, you could have them hand catch for you. This person could do other things, such as change the battery cause it can be difficult to one with disabilities. As mentioned, a good stable seat because you wind up twisting and moving as you manipulate the control. You only need to calibrate the compass if you are flying somewhere far from the first place you calibrated it. Do be sure you do an IMU calibration when you first get it, make sure you read up about how to do it best. Make sure you make a preflight check list and be sure to go over it every time you fly, especially the first 25-30 times. It is easy to forget some of the simple things like being sure the props are tight or to remove the gimbal block. Read as much as you can and enjoy it even more. Good luck.

Walking 15 feet to do the calibration is all that is needed in most spots, pretty easy. Use a larger tablet so that you can see it when it's calibrating, slowly turn around once and look at the tablet. If it doesn't show as being ready to tip vertical, just turn a bit more. You don't have to go all the way around again every time, it will let you know. I've been flying since September and have never needed an IMU cal... But it is easy if needed. Look around and make sure that you're in a clean area with no metal or calibrating will become painful.
Just sit down and fly. You can hand catch and hand release, just try it and it makes it easy. Or you can just bend over and place it on the ground in front of you and then back up if you're in a wheel chair. I just set mine a few feet away and then let it go with no problems. Other then that, its a no brained, I'm disabled also.

Also as i assume compass calibration is required before each flight is there any easy methods you have found for doing this as i think i will find holding the P3 and rotating it quite difficult.
You only need to calibrate the compass when your Phantom arrives, after installing new firmware, when the DJI GO app prompts you to do so, or when you travel ~100 miles from the previous flying site (see more details here). Assuming you're going to be flying in the same general area, you could have someone help you calibrate the compass.

Hi Guy,

I'm soon to become the owner of a P3 advanced and was wondering could you please give me some tips and advice.

As the title states i was born with a disability which affects my legs and balance because of this i cant walk too far and have to be careful when bending down etc. Based on this is there any products/tips you can offer which may make my drone flying experience easier and in turn more enjoyable. Also as i assume compass calibration is required before each flight is there any easy methods you have found for doing this as i think i will find holding the P3 and rotating it quite difficult. Also after i have set this at a location for example if i then return to that same location for exampkle several weeks later do i have to complete the compass calibration again?

First of all welcome to the phantom world.
I fly a phantom 3 and I also have a disability (multiple sclerosis) I am for most part in a wheelchair. All I can add to what's all ready been said is stay tuned to the threads on this forum, there are some good help from guys here like msinger, meta4 To name a couple, Read a lot, search the past thread. I have no problem landing quite close, I haven't tried catching it but very possible.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Reed L
Hi Guy,

A couple of the other guys such as @flyNfrank have mentioned using one of these to help with compass calibrations.
image.jpg

Link to post about it on this forum:
why wont my compass calibrate?

Last edited:
Hi Guy,

I am unaware if you have the money, although if i were you i would wait for the Phantom 4 release and get that instead, with obstacle avoidance it would be awfully handy for someone with a disability, not to mention a few other useful features such as easier on off props, ext.. for a extra $400-$600 surely i would go that route in your shoes!

Reactions: Suntana
Thanks guys overwhelmed by the response and great advice!!

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Accounting: In my wildest estimation, 85-90% of all Phantom Pilots are somehow mentally or physically disabled. No one in their right minds, would spend this amount of hard cash, for hobby grade RC models... ;-)
We all here, have to come to grips with that fact. Hahaha

Being single does have it's distinct benefits. I never nag rag or bag myself. Ha

P4 anybody?

RedHotPoker

Reactions: dirtybum
You only need to calibrate the compass when your Phantom arrives, after installing new firmware, when the DJI GO app prompts you to do so.
And be careful on that last one because the app usually isn't advising you to calibrate the compass.
Rather it's advising that the compass has detected a magnetic anomaly and suggesting you move away from it.
In that case, to calibrate there will cause problems.

They sell the swivel chairs in the hunting section at Cabellas also. I saw them a couple weeks ago and almost picked one up. They are heavy and bulky but it would make flying by the seat of my pants a lot easier :)

Hi Guy,

Before i sold my P3, i did not calibrate the compass for over 4 months, and flew within 200km of the spot i last calibrated over 200 times, with no issues.
Enjoy flying :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues