DISABLE "Smart go home."

I would think as a professional photographer and me being and retired professional photographer you always take a back up with you. If you're making that much money as a wedding photographer why would you only have one drone?

I would strongly suggest setting an appropriate RTH height to 'hover" on signal loss. If signal isnt restored (interference, dead remote, obstruction in signal path etc). It may well be game over. This is also likely problematic in other scenarios ie new hobbyist with a device or app crash (operator pannics and presses RTH button).

Having the AC happily flying back towards you with the option of taking over when connection is restired is likely preferable.

Another bonus is that on initiation of RTH the first action is to climb to set RTH altitude. Often signal is restored during the climb allowing you to happily continue flying.

Hover in place may, and often has, resulted in AC autolanding at critical battery level.
I agree completely with what you meant to say, but, as written, your first sentence contradicts what you wrote after and meant to say.

You wrote "I would strongly suggest setting an appropriate RTH height to 'hover" on signal loss."

You meant to say "Don't set your setting upon Loss of Signal to 'hover'. Set it to 'RTH' instead."

Your reasoning is completely sound for not setting it to "hover", as it will just hover until it autolands, as the battery dies, which will be disaster over water. Furthermore, most signal loss is either due to flying behind an obstruction, or out of range, in which case elevating under RTH will usually raise the aircraft above the obstructing object, restoring signal, or restoring it by bringing it back within range. On a side note, if you fly into a NFZ, even though the aircraft starts landing, you can still fly it away from the NFZ, to stop the descent, and continue flying elsewhere. Ask me how I know! No it wasn't an airport, but it was sufficiently close to a closed stadium (1/2 a mile) that DJI GO triggered a NFZ response and started landing!:eek:

Last edited:
I agree completely with what you meant to say, but, as written, your first sentence contradicts what you wrote after and meant to say.

You wrote "I would strongly suggest setting an appropriate RTH height to 'hover" on signal loss."

You meant to say "Don't set your setting upon Loss of Signal to 'hover'. Set it to 'RTH' instead."

Your reasoning is completely sound for not setting it to "hover", as it will just hover until it autolands, as the battery dies, which will be disaster over water.
Cheers Mate, agreed- that is what i meant. I should review my posts.....

The ascent to RTH preset altitide almost always results in return of connection for me so i can happily continue. In most instances further away.. :)

Cheers Mate, agreed- that is what i meant. I should review my posts.....

The ascent to RTH preset altitide almost always results in return of connection for me so i can happily continue. In most instances further away.. :)
Happy to help clarify. The ascent to the preset altitude works for me in the same way, to fly further, after restoration! It's also why I deliberately set the RTH altitude to far higher than necessary to just to clear obstructions. Works for loss of FPV, too. As long as the remote LED is still green, just elevate slowly in place (may only need 10-20 feet) until FPV is restored, and continue on! :cool:

Prime example of KNOWING YOUR EQUIPMENT! Change settings as needed prior to take off given your situation!!!!

..Like seriously. Who wouldn't turn off RTH if they were in a building or dense forest? Set to "hover" only.

Rookie mistake but hey - we all need to learn one way or another. This is why training at home isn't a waste of time
Good judgement comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgement.

Reactions: GadgetGuy
My Phantom took off from being just a couple feet above the ground to go back home when it was at 13%. I was ready to land it myself but it took over and shot straight up into the air and crashed into a tree. This happened twice and now I've cracked both legs [emoji24]

When you have a IMU or compass failure the aircraft will usually do something it's not supposed to do or if it just does something it's not supposed to do. The best thing to do for emergency procedure is to immediately switch to ATTI mode. That way you take control away from the computer that may fly the bird in a bad way. I would put forth that flying past 20% is not the best habit to get into. At 10% it will do a RTN. Manual flying is my pref. unless you are doing some waypoint mission for filming/photo's. good luck with your flying. Best!

Reactions: RodPad
Yes, I get nervous at 30%.

Rod

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, I get nervous at 30%.

Rod
You haven't truly learned to really fly until you have mastered returning to overhead at 10% remaining, so you can maneuver to handcatch during the Autoloand triggered at 10% remaining! :D 55,000 feet of flight is normal and 58,000 is doable! :cool: Make sure you start with a fully charged battery!

You haven't truly learned to really fly until you have mastered returning to overhead at 10% remaining, so you can maneuver to handcatch during the Autoloand triggered at 10% remaining! :D 55,000 feet of flight is normal and 58,000 is doable! :cool: Make sure you start with a fully charged battery!

Yeah I have gotten into a bad habit of pushing the battery to its limits. I deceive myself by stating really low to the ground but forget what happens if I push the system to its limits. The logic behind low battery RTH is marvellous but as always things never happen at the right time when you need it to [emoji16]

Yeah I have gotten into a bad habit of pushing the battery to its limits. I deceive myself by stating really low to the ground but forget what happens if I push the system to its limits. The logic behind low battery RTH is marvellous but as always things never happen at the right time when you need it to [emoji16]
If you stay on older GO 4 versions, you can still turn off the dumb "Smart Go Home" feature, which has caused many crashes! I set my Critical battery to 15% and Autoland to 10% and Smart Go Home is always OFF! I am very capable of monitoring my own battery consumption, and I will decide when it is time to head home, not DJI! :cool:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20