Dirty Bird vs. Night Fury

Reaction score
It's been quiet lately having not flown since Thanksgiving due to cold weather. This week was relatively warm so Thursday evening I decided to take the Phantom up to blow out the dust. The batteries have been sitting here fully charged since late November and I was curious how they would function. Performance was fine except once I got down below 50% I would get low battery warnings at max power. Back off the throttle a little and the alert went away. Hopefully that will clear up once they cycle once or twice.

It was still light out for the first two flights, dusk for the third, and dark for the final. I launched from the driveway and the first three flights went off perfectly with flight times of 17:53, 18:56, and 21:02 respectively. RC'ed out to a mile on two of four flights (stock V+). As I was flying the final mission things got strange....

By this time it was dark, but I noticed some sort of large bird buzzing around. I caught a glimpse of it in the street light and it was big & black. At this point the Phantom was over a mile out so no worries. A few minutes later I am heading back at a pretty good pace, maybe 150' up, and coming over the house right across the street. At that instant I catch the silhouette of what I can only describe as Night Fury, heading straight towards the Phantom. Before I can react I hear a thud, the Vision+ cartwheels, careens uncontrollably through the upper branches of a tree, and crashes hard into the street in front of the house next door! :shock:

I'm standing there in shock thinking 'WTF?" :eek: The Phantom is still powered on but, as I walk over, I know this is going to be bad. I pick it up, both front props are broken & the camera is detached at the roll axis. I know the ribbon is ripped. The Flytrex 3G is still attached & functioning. I power her off and head inside for a flashlight. I find the camera in the yard next door. A scrape to the barrel but the yaw motor separated cleanly...shaft pulled out. I have a spare ribbon so it may be repairable. Sadly I bring the wreckage inside... :(

Once inside I power on and spin up the motors. Everything seems to work, but the FR motor mount point in the shell is cracked badly. (All 4 have been developing stress cracks so it was time to re-shell anyways) I notice the memory card ejected in the crash and head back out to hunt. While searching I wonder what happened to the bird? Was it injured? Dead? Was it an accidental collision or an outright assault? As I'm searching I'll be damned if I don't see the same bird (at least I assume it was the same) still flying around in the dark!!! I had to laugh...

The video file was damaged from being ejected mid-recording. I was able to repair it but it truncated just prior to the impact. Looks like I'll be replacing props, shell, and possibly the camera/gimbal. I have everything here (except a new camera/gimbal & a new decal set). I do have a spare ribbon on hand to attempt a camera repair.

Dirty Bird 0 - Night Fury 1

IMAG2085.jpg

IMAG2084.jpg

Sad story man, I live on seaside and I'm afraid of the tens of seagull flying around my p2v+ when I start to fly. If I go in a place where seems to be free of seagulls after start to fly lot of them comes! Aaaarghhh

What!!! no gimbal-inertia protector???

Whooow DB :shock:
I hope you can fix your bird man ;)
If you can not fix the camera and you have already a gopro you only need a gimbal ( bv zenmuse ) :cool:

http://youtu.be/9bCp3EcutuE

Succes .

I was going to fly in San Diego last week while waiting for the inspector on a fuel cell project, but I noticed a Hawk flying around. After awhile I noticed two Hawks chase him off, so I never did take it up for fear of them attacking my bird.

Many birds species fiercely defend their territory - not only, but especially - during the breeding season. Keep clear of those areas if you want to keep your phantom flying. They will not hesitate to smash into it regardless of the noise it makes.

Dirty Bird said:
No gimbal protector. If I had one I would get the one from Killer Planes.

If I wind up having to replace the camera I'll just order a factory cam/gimbal.

Hey Dirty bird looks like the government has the new no drone zone flight protection system up and running in your area :lol:
I can tell you the killer RC protector saved my camera with no doubt . It was money well spent and saved my vacation

viewtopic.php?f=27&t=31808#p291173

Sorry to read your misfortune. A lot of predator birds are out in the early evening. Glad it is able to be fixed. Hopefully new ribbon is all it needs.

Dirty Bird
I'm trying to get a perspective on obtainable range from a stock P2V+ and radio. If you are obtaining a mile range at an altitude of 150' are you in a rural area with no trees etc? Hope your rebuild goes well. I have falcons, eagles, hawks in my area and so far have not had issues.
Bob

BioTeq said:
Many birds species fiercely defend their territory - not only, but especially - during the breeding season. Keep clear of those areas if you want to keep your phantom flying. They will not hesitate to smash into it regardless of the noise it makes.

The FAA has recently ruled that birds of prey may attack and kill UAV's so long as the kill is within 400' of their nest, outside Class A/B airspace, and the predator is not compensated for the kill, other than sharing the carrion with their young.

Kelly

PS: Sorry for your loss DB, you have earned karma points on behalf of all of us who fly in the wilds and are spared such a kill

wkf94025 said:
The FAA has recently ruled that birds of prey may attack and kill UAV's so long as the kill is within 400' of their nest, outside Class A/B airspace, and the predator is not compensated for the kill, other than sharing the carrion with their young.

Kelly
:lol: Night Fury :lol:
DB you always have some great stories. Very entertaining and well written! Glad to see you posting again.

MHL

UgashikBob said:
I'm trying to get a perspective on obtainable range from a stock P2V+ and radio. If you are obtaining a mile range at an altitude of 150' are you in a rural area with no trees etc? Hope your rebuild goes well. I have falcons, eagles, hawks in my area and so far have not had issues.

Its a pretty congested area but the long distance stuff is always clear line of sight. I could have gone further as I still had control & FPV but I was concerned about the batteries having been sitting long plus it was only in the 50s. I live on a hill and in two directions you have a clear LOS for miles even at only 150'. I never get good range through obstacles...even bare tree branches greatly reduce range.

wkf94025 said:
PS: Sorry for your loss DB, you have earned karma points on behalf of all of us who fly in the wilds and are spared such a kill

:lol: Love it! I'll be back... :cool:

I could post the video but there isn't much to see as it was dark. Also the card was ejected in the crash. This meant the video file was corrupted and had to be repaired. The repair process truncated the video just prior to the crash so the impact and subsequent crash aren't visible.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik