"Dirty Bird Over Baltimore"

Reaction score
Normally a Phantom is busy capturing video & still footage, but here the Phantom 4 "Dirty Bird" is recorded on the first leg of the epic "The Baltimore Run v2.1" Litchi mission. This unique recording of a Phantom in flight was captured by a fellow P4 pilot flying chase on a modified version of the same mission. When this video ends the chase bird had overtaken & passed "Dirty Bird" so this will be continued with some tweaking of the chase mission until the entire "Baltimore Run v2.1" flight is captured.

DISCLAIMER:

Dirty Bird Videos creates videos out of sheer joy to demonstrate the amazing possibilities achievable with DJI's "Phantom" series quadcopter aircraft. These videos may be unsuitable for some audiences. Anyone meeting the following criteria is strongly advised to refrain from watching Dirty Bird Videos:

If you are a s-s-stickler for rules & always adhere to them, it is strongly advised that you do not watch. If you find yourself uncontrollably compelled to post comments about "breaking rules" whenever reading messages, watching videos, etc., do not watch. If you find flying beyond VLOS or at night disconcerting, do not watch! If you are upset by flying over houses, buildings, roads & bridges, vehicles, watercraft, spacecraft, Area 51, people, nesting eagles, & just about any other critter that swims, slithers, creeps, or crawls, do not watch! If you become upset when watching documentaries of predators catching & consuming their prey, do not watch! If you cry easily, do not watch. If you suffer from incontinence, IBS, or are a bed wetter, do not watch. If you do not believe the Honey Badger is one of the meanest MoFo animals on the planet, do not watch! If you like to play with live spiders, watching Dirty Bird Videos is probably safe, however, if any of the other conditions apply view them at your own peril! If this disclaimer has missed your specific issue & you find you have been offended in any way by viewing a Dirty Bird Video, immediately stop watching the video, do not view again, & don't tell anyone you watched! This is for your own sanity! In some instances Dirty Bird Videos may choose to provide a complimentary box of Kleenex tissues. No liability is offered for offense, mental or physical anguish, spontaneous combustion, loss of appetite, projectile vomiting, or chronic diarrhea (AKA "the grizzly shits") caused by viewing a Dirty Bird video. Dirty Bird Videos have been known to cause cancer in laboratory mice. Persons prone to epileptic siezures risk irreversible brain damage & are strongly advised not to watch. A small percentage of Dirty Bird video viewers have engaged in spontaneous seppuku. Dirty Bird Videos reserves the right to modify this disclaimer at any time.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
It is my "Baltimore Run v2.1" programmed Litchi mission. This is an autonomous waypoints flight. The chase bird (another P4) was flying the same autonomous mission slightly modified to keep the lead bird in view. About 2.25 miles out at the turnaround. The chase bird wound up passing the lead bird so I have to tweak its mission a bit to get the timing right. Just needs about 2-3 seconds delay to get it right so "Dirty Bird's" entire mission is captured.

That was very neat. Haw far did you go? 20,000ft? Were you in Sport Mode?

Reactions: CharlieU
"The Baltimore Run v2.1" - Daylight Version

Here's the Night Edition...

That's awesome. That takes some balls to do that. Surprised the drone police aren't chiming in.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

D bird I can only imagine the scouting and preperations that go into planning and executing these missions.

Quick question please- do you manually fly particular components to get a better sense of clearances and positional accuracy of things, altitude and whether the map representation is correct?

I would to see the flight plan on a map. Any screen shots?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: Walkers13
I'm downtown often so I visually scan for obstructions, obstacles you might miss in FPV, etc. I've flown manually to record altitudes registered by the Phantom but that only helps if you do it from the launch spot so for building heights I rely on available altitude data or Google. The maps have proven incredibly accurate but what I did at first was fly high with the camera pointed straight down to test. The first time I spiraled the World Trade Center (Baltimore's) I was maybe 8' from the building. It was like "Wow!" But it was too close to get the effect I wanted. It's a combination of research, recon, & testing.

D bird I can only imagine the scouting and preperations that go into planning and executing these missions.

Quick question please- do you manually fly particular components to get a better sense of clearances and positional accuracy of things, altitude and whether the map representation is correct?

Last edited:
Reactions: CharlieU
I'm downtown often so I visually scan for obstructions, obstacles you might miss in FPV, etc. I've flown manually to record altitudes registered by the Phantom but that only helps if you do it from the launch spot so for building heights I rely on available altitude data or Google. The maps have proven incredibly accurate but what I did at first was fly high with the camera pointed straight down to test. The first time I spiraled the World Trade Center (Baltimore's) I was maybe 8' from the building. It was like "Wow!" But it was too close to get the effect I wanted. I guess of research, recon, & testing.
Very helpful. Thank you.

Wow. Amazing control and cinematography. I wonder. Have you gone to some legths to anonymize yourself and your aircraft? I assume you have not affixed any registration to the hull. I wonder if you've wiped it down and activated it to a false owner/address with DJI, etc.

I did pirate radio and other things when I was younger and half the fun was in evading detection and apprehension. I imagine no less on these pirate raids.

I think it would be interesting if this flight plan was on flight hub. ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers