Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Dirtbike riding at Hungry Valley State Vehicle Recreation Area...lessons learned.

Discussion in 'Photos and Video' started by n6vmo, Sep 6, 2015.

1. n6vmo

We camped and rode Hungry Valley State Vehicle Recreation Area this weekend. I thought it would be fun to get some footage of my son on one of our favorite trails, Backbone. Timing, subject speed, app crashes and terrain all played a role in making this shot very difficult to pull off. Many lessons were learned.

Our intention was for me to launch the drone at the intersection of Flying W and Backbone. Michael would leave this location and travel to the start of Backbone, where I was to be waiting for him. This proved more difficult than we anticipated. While searching the viewfinder for him, I heard his engine coming up Backbone and new I had missed the shot.

Our next attempt was to get footage from the intersection to the end of Backbone. But a drone app software crash just after Michael departed ruined that idea.

All I managed to shoot was this 50 second clip of him on the second half of the trail. We did a post ride/shoot analysis and decided next trip we'll break the shoot down into smaller chunks and from different locations along the trail.

2. 2nd2non

Care to share which "drone app" crashed?

n6vmo likes this.
  3. n6vmo

Litchi...wasn't really a crash, but the device displayed the USB selection screen for Litchi, DJi Go and Ultimate Flight. I had to stop the app and restart, by that time, my subject was way down the trail.