Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Dirt on your lens..

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by rockydog, Apr 24, 2016.

1. rockydog

If you're worried about the effect of dirt, or squashed bugs etc, on the quality of your photos/videos, this is an interesting article .......some surprising results!

Dirty lens article

2. LK8472

I've cleaned my lens off once, with one of those Zeiss lens wipes, and although I didn't see any difference in image quality, it's good maintenance to have a clean machine.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

3. JBJO

I did the same thing... I was flying back to home point when it started sprinkling and I got a large drop of rain right in the middle of the lens.. I didnt touch the droplet thinking it would "dry clean" and it didn't .. I got a zeiss wipe and very gently removed the water mark..
    I was very reluctant.. I have some very nice optics and have always been told when you get a dirty lens ... You let it remain dirty.....

4. WetDog

Someone doesn't like you. Always clean glass up front. Although you usually won't see bits of dust, you will see droplets, especially on a wide angle lens like the Phantoms. You also lose contrast by the bucket load which is Very Bad.

Movie cameraman tend to be **** compulsive about stuff on the front of a lens. One errant dust particle can take a shoot into JJ Abrams territory in an instant.

I use the Zeiss wipes (cheap, easy to carry), a microfiber cloth (available everywhere for virtually nothing) and Lens Pens for stubborn stuff. The coating on modern optics is quite hard. Just don't scratch the dirt off with a knife.

Edit: The article is pretty worthless. He shoots with a quasi telephoto with a small aperture. You can write your name in grease pen without too much degradation with this setup. Also, stills are not video for reasons I mention above. No you don't have to clean off every bit of dust with your hankie. But a clean lens allows you to shoot without (extra) issues more often. This is especially important when the camera is 200 feet above your head.

5. LK8472

Yeah I too thought the article was really not applicable to the phantom.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app