Direction dependent horizon tilting?

Reaction score
Hi, I've just made this video of the "peninsula" that I live on:

I prepared this flight on my couch with Litchi before taking of and the bird did the run perfectly. I used an old (first generation) Sony Xperia Z tablet and it ran wihtout any problems. The only problem was with my body. I had to use a ladder and stood with my upper body just above the roof of my house to get a clear 360 view of the entire flight...

Anyway, I have a few questions:

Tilting of the horizon
As always I have done a IMU calibration after the firmware update (as I always do).

I haven't had noteworthy problems a tilted horizon before, but this flight was the first of it's kind for me. But the strange thing is that the tilted horizon clearly follows a pattern. It is tilted while the bird faces east/south-east (start of the flight), then straightens as it turns west.

This can be seen clearly in the sequence 0:50 - 2:00 in the video.

The bird makes its round and while facing south-east to north, the horizon is close to perfectly level. Then, as the path is about finished and the P3A again turns from north to east, the horizon again starts to tilt.

This can be seen clearly in the sequence 5:22 - 5:40 in the video.

The drone had about 4-5 m/s headwind going north (facing east), so the gimbal had to be tilted a bit more while the drone was moving in that direction, but surely that isn't enough to warrant a tilted horizon?

Anybody else noticed a direction dependent horizon tilting like this?

2.7K resolution and YouTube
I have made this video in 2.7K / 30 fps, but even if directly uploading it to youtube, the resolution selectable on youtube is never higher than 1080. 1440 does not show up (even the day after). Anyone got an idea why this happens?

Video Log mode
I'm using Log mode in the video settings (after seeing a youtube tip video), but I guess this is only sensible if you want to edit the video in some kind of video editor before uploading it to youtube? I guess the color corrections in youtube itself is not enough to adjust for the lack of "pop" in the log mode P3 videos?

I like to add videos directly to youtube, because each recompression worsens the quality.

Sorry about all these (dumb) questions...

Very nice video! I don't have answer to you but I ask another question 'cause I'm planning the same in my hometown: what was the flight height?

Very nice video! I don't have answer to you but I ask another question 'cause I'm planning the same in my hometown: what was the flight height?

Thanks, it was 45 meters (above the take off position). I'd guess about 60 meters above the water. Next time I'll go a bit higher. I felt it was a bit low myself.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl