Dilema - Litchi or Autopilot as of Dec 2015

Reaction score
I know some some functionality has been added to the apps recently...
However Im on the fence.. as to which to get

I like the pano function which i believe is only on Litchi - but I can get that from my FPV Flyer app.

But Id like to have an app that does the cool stuff and cant find a definitive answer as to what people think is better...

Mo

I know some some functionality has been added to the apps recently...
However Im on the fence.. as to which to get

I like the pano function which i believe is only on Litchi - but I can get that from my FPV Flyer app.

But Id like to have an app that does the cool stuff and cant find a definitive answer as to what people think is better...

Mo
You know very well what you like to buy and why. Go ahead. If I can read your mind, My suggestion would be to buy both.

Reactions: huntjock
Can't say about auto but Litchi does have alot of functionality and has been rock solid. Love to use the orbit and GS. It's going to be your choice and preference. Go to their web sites and read up. Www.flylitchi.com is one

Last edited:
Reactions: aka1ceman
Starting out for me, I chose ipad air 2 and so I headed the Autoflightlogic - Autopilot direction and now you have options. The beginner mode of Orbit, follow me are similar to DJI go app., but the Intermediate and Advanced version of each allows your flight skills to take a step above. A couple of Modes of flight, I have no interest in, but zip line has great use for me. Cruise seemed really complex and I haven't taken the time to study it's use. The Waypoints has just started beta testing with early 2016 projected release, but this first video flying a golf course is unreal. Altitude, camera focus and many more can be seen on this:
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: NorthcountySD
I thought that was a phantom until the last moment and realized it's an inspire. That mission was simply amazing. Wow.

Reactions: huntjock
Are you saying this was an Inspire based on a little tilt at the very end of the video? I don't know why I thought this was a Phantom 3, but my understanding is that as long as you don't fly directly over a focus location, the P3 will yaw as to keep the focus where you want it. But in general, this is as complex a mission as you could ever want.

yes I have to say that vid was impressive
I like the fact that Autopilot goes in depth and shows us what the modes are - especially when its can be complex.
Also I have a ipad air 2 for use with the drone - so the barometer height settings are great...

Do I understand this correctly - Litchi et al - use the sdk from DJI
Where as autopilot have developed their own api's and so allow them to do more complex feat sometimes then the other apps ?

OP - I assume you are on iOS since autopilot only exists here. I've got both litchi (ios beta) and autopilot (incl waypoint beta). Bottom line, both are solid and both respond to inputs from THIS community. Litchi is easier to learn on the fly and feels closer to DJI GO layout. AP is almost like learning a new language, but once you know it, you are hooked with the endless possibilities. AP's target consumer are aerial videographers for cinematic scripting. I'm not sure about Litchi's target consumer, but seems to cater to a broad consumer.
So, enjoy them both!

Reactions: jimerb and huntjock
OP - I assume you are on iOS since autopilot only exists here. I've got both litchi (ios beta) and autopilot (incl waypoint beta). Bottom line, both are solid and both respond to inputs from THIS community. Litchi is easier to learn on the fly and feels closer to DJI GO layout. AP is almost like learning a new language, but once you know it, you are hooked with the endless possibilities. AP's target consumer are aerial videographers for cinematic scripting. I'm not sure about Litchi's target consumer, but seems to cater to a broad consumer.
So, enjoy them both!

Thanks thats a good explanation

So, enjoy them both!
I have a feeling that the app I will choose in the end is AP. However just like how I use Excel, I'll probably use a fraction of the potential AP offers. It's odd that I really don't see user video of AP. I only see AFL demo videos. Is it that not many are really using it? I watch AFL demo videos and I have to say, it seems pretty complex. I don't like the approach of learning flight software during flight. I want no surprises in the air. I want to understand what the ramification is for flight of everything I set within the app. I'm nowhere near understanding that just from watching the demo vids. So although I think AP looks like it stands alone in terms of capability, somethings gotta give for learning those capabilities. I just hope they haven't made too complex for practical use.

I'm sure you see quite a few videos that were collected using Autopilot. The reason you don't see as many reviews or how to videos is because autoflight logic does all of that. Their flight school documentation is amazing and their walk through videos are great too. There's not much else for people to say about the app itself. I have been using autoflight logic AP for a few months and am now using the beta. I don't think the advanced functions are matched with any other app but if you're just looking for simple flight modes the dji go app has those. AP takes the phantom platform to a new level. I think their beta might be open right now too so give it a shot.

Reactions: egoldy
You should consider DJI Phantom Flight too :). It has comparable features for the P3/Inspire but is better at quickly setting up POI flights and has smooth gimbal control, also on sale. DJI Phantom Flight App

Brad, id like to give the little guy a chance but some constructive critique, please add some commentary to your demo vids -easier to watch then

I'm sure you see quite a few videos that were collected using Autopilot. The reason you don't see as many reviews or how to videos is because autoflight logic does all of that. Their flight school documentation is amazing and their walk through videos are great too. There's not much else for people to say about the app itself. I have been using autoflight logic AP for a few months and am now using the beta. I don't think the advanced functions are matched with any other app but if you're just looking for simple flight modes the dji go app has those. AP takes the phantom platform to a new level. I think their beta might be open right now too so give it a shot.

Ill have to get in touch to find out about the beta..
I do realise that they are more powerful and the explanation videos are clear if a bit fast - you have to watch them several times it seems

The problem with most of us guy is we like to open the box and try to put it together or in this instance fly.... The when we can't we read the instructions. In this case you have to read see and then do... Hope it works out with which ever you go with. For the most part I think practical and more simple so that put me in the arena with Litchi. Happy Flying!

Litchi is one of those rare apps where it's difficult to find fault. And if problems do occur, they get addressed.

Reactions: NUfan
Brad, id like to give the little guy a chance but some constructive critique, please add some commentary to your demo vids -easier to watch then

I will update the instructions and videos explaining all the autopilot modes, probably first week of January. There are also more features/improvements coming in 2016.

It's odd that I really don't see user video of AP. I only see AFL demo videos. Is it that not many are really using it?
Check out this demo of the Autopilot 3.0 Waypoint feature.
I just completed some additional flights in palm springs I plan to post over the next day or so. I also have a course run by both iOS apps Litchi and autopilot so people can compare.

Litchi.. unless you want to spend 3 hours trying to figure it out the mess Autoflight logic has become......

Litchi.. unless you want to spend 3 hours trying to figure it out the mess Autoflight logic has become......
I completely disagree. Use facts and specifics if you are going to rip a product.
I'm about to publish a comparison between the two betas for waypoints on the iOS platform. It will be unbiased and databased. Each has their pros/cons....

I completely disagree. Use facts and specifics if you are going to rip a product.
I'm about to publish a comparison between the two betas for waypoints on the iOS platform. It will be unbiased and databased. Each has their pros/cons....
Look forward to that review.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic