Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

Difference between RTH & FailSafe?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by slugger, Sep 27, 2013.

1. slugger

I was under the impression they were one in the same, but the more I read, it sounds like there is a difference?

INQUIRING MINDS WANT TO KNOW
    slugger

2. jumanoc

FAILSAFE is a Phantom Status, that occurs when this happens:
    -Phantom Loose comunication with your TX for 5 seconds (RTH is triggered and it will return to take off point)

RTH (Return To Home): Is an Action triggered by
    a) FAILSAFE status
    b) Manually by you with stick or turning off the TX.

In addition could be triggered the Low voltage Alert, not really failsafe but could name it PHANTOM SAFE, when battery reaches 2nd low level voltage and will land on that place automatically.

3. marcus_canada

Yes Slugger, they are the same, the Phantom does the same thing in both cases.

4. slugger

I've noticed that Flyers that are replacing their Tx with the Futaba T8J like myself, have a RTH switch and a failsafe switch. It got me wondering........

Thanks all

slugger

5. Gizmo3000

The NAZA has two kinds of "Failsafe" modes,. one is Battery Failsafe, when it will reduce power and eventually attempt to land itself as the battery becomes depleted.
    And another when it detects a problem communicating with the transmitter. - in which case depending on how the NAZA is set, it will either Return to Home and land (default), or merely land itself, depending on how the NAZA is configured.

RTH can also be initiated by the Tx if you have it set in the NAZA, or if you've configured your Futaba Tx to send a signal that puts the U channel in a postion that's not GPS/ATT/Man.

6. fizzviic

I don't care what you call it. I was way out and in the weeds this morning when my attention was interrupted by a low flying ultralight. When I glanced back, my eyes focused on a white object in the distance and no amount of stick juggling seemed to have any effect. Unfortunately, the white object my eyes were following was not my Phantom but a semi far off on the interstate. I couldn't see my Phantom anywhere so I did the only thing that seemed logical. I hit the CHDY switch and by God, it worked!

7. martcerv

Same function, failsafe will trigger RTH or auto land depending on user setting if you lose radio control so its either triggerd by loss of radio range or by the user selected switch. Either way the function is exactly the same and will rely on GPS reception and a saved home location prior to takeoff to work properly.

8. Firestat

While we are on the subject, once you hit Home Lock or Course Lock, do you have to move the sticks in a certain direction, or do you completely leave them alone?

I am a little confused about that. I have not tried anything, but that day will probably come when I have to.

9. mikrob

The HL or CL determines a direction. You still have to use the sticks to move in that direction.