Difference between Phantom 2 & Phantom 2 Vision

Reaction score
A newbie here...I am trying to collect some basic information...

Is there any significant difference between these two models, besides one has a camera and the other does not? I assume that the electronic guts are the same and so is the performance. So if I watch a youtube video on how to update the IMU the two are identical, is this correct?

Also, the accronyms are driving me nuts...is there a post that defines them? I am new to flying quad and am learning quickly, just looking for a little help.

This reminds me of the computer industry 30 years ago...yes I am an old fart.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Mothership...out

Hi there... I'm somewhat new around here myself. There are a number of posts everywhere outlining the specifics of each of DJI's Phantom models - I'll start the responses by adding in some of what I've found out myself.

1. The Phantom 2 uses different frequencies than the Vision (and Vision+) models. The Phantom 2 controllers use 2.4ghz and the Vision/Vision+ controllers use 5.8ghz. That's because the Vision/Vision+ uses WiFi to connect to the smartphone app which controls the camera and provides telemetry data.

2. The Phantom 2 doesn't come with a camera. It also doesn't come with any FPV equipment. If you want these, you'll have to buy this stuff separately and install it yourself. (There are some places that offer package deals on all of this, who probably can install it all for you before shipping it out.)

3. Note that even though you can add a camera and FPV to the Phantom 2, you still won't have the same degree of control over picture taking and video recording that you'll get with a Vision/Vision+ model. Those allow you to control things like exposure, ISO, and white balance from you phone, as well as snapping the shutter for pictures and starting/stopping recording. With the Phantom 2 route, you'll have to start picture taking on a timer or start the video recording manually before taking off, and stop those functions when landing.

4. I've discovered that the Vision/Vision+ are really intended to be 'all in one' packages, with less emphasis on future upgrades (at least 'official' ones created/sold by DJI). The Phantom 2, on the other hand, has more upgrade possibilities (which, of course, means spending more money). For instance, DJI's new 2.4ghz HD Lightbridge system (~$1,200) probably won't work with the Vision/Vision+ but will with the Phantom 2.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20